MF Old

#32 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:32 PM

Lucky people grew up in small towns; the unlucky ones in the burbs.  

"A meal without wine is called breakfast."   Camille Fourmont

#33 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:40 PM

#34 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,018 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

Whitfield

This is the restaurant in the Ace Hotel.  The chef is a guy who's from Pittsburgh, but whose principal professional position before was at Meat Hook in Brooklyn.  This is very much a meatstaurant, with the expected emphasis on local ingredients.

So it was probably sheer perversity that led me to have a meat-free dinner.  I started with cavatelli with nettles, a solid dish, if one that you see everywhere these days.  Some would think it was too salty -- but not me.

Then, a lightly smoked and then seared river trout.  Again, a good, solid dish.

The cocktails almost made it, but not quite.  You might say the same for the wine list.

Primanti Bros.  (Strip branch)

I've been dying to eat here for as long as I've known of it.  I mean, sandwiches with french fries in them?  What could be better?

I had the capicolla and provolone.  The problem is, it just didn't taste very good.  I dunno.  Maybe putting fries in a sandwich isn't as good an idea as it sounds.

Butcher and the Rye

This is a good, solid Downtown restaurant.  Part of a local restaurant group, all of whose restaurants I'm told are good and solid.

The conceit here, as you might figure out for yourself, is meatstaurant with an extensive whiskey list.

What's interesting is that I liked it that significant tad more than Whitfield -- the tad that pushes it over the top from "OK" to a fairly enthusiastic recommendation.

Of course, you have to like this kind of food, which I'd describe as kind of gross but with a light touch, to begin with.  For example, the "rustic bread" (which you have to order and pay for), which comes with gravy and lard and is spiced with pepper and sage.  It's really quite delicious.

I then had the so-called "Sunday gravy" (hey that's a Brooklyn thing -- not that this whole restaurant doesn't scream "Brooklyn!").  This was a lamb neck in tomato sauce with ricotta cheese.  In a way, dishes like this are like shooting fish in a barrel -- but as long as I'm not the fish, I'm not going to complain.

Finally, rabbit and dumplings.  The rabbit wasn't dry, the dumplings weren't heavy:  fine.

Cocktails were better than at Whitfield.  They push beer rather than wine; the wine list was adequate but no more.

As for the whiskey list, it's probably too obvious to note that Pennsylvania was once the cradle of American rye:  Overholt, Michter's, they all originated there.  (Overholt was owned by Frick and Mellon.)  I had some contemporary flavored Pennsylvania rye.  It wasn't bad.

Pamela's

This is a local diner chain.  It's really good.  The hash and the "Lyonnaise" potatoes really make it.   And the "crepe-style" pancakes somehow contrive to be crispier than regular old pancakes, without losing their lightness. 

Better than Primanti Bros.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#35 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,366 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:33 PM

Sounds like a mixed result during Penguin week...

Pamela's diner group

http://www.pamelasdiner.com
“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#36 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,018 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:51 PM

Yeah, Pittsburgh is the most sports-crazed city I've ever experienced.  And I've spent a lot of time in Chicago.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#37 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,541 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:50 PM

French fries have no business on a sandwich. On a sandwich they lose their identity - they might as well be tater tots.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#38 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,541 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:06 PM

I mean really, why not dump a couple of scoops of mashed potatoes on a roast beef sandwich?

There are excesses that happen in New York restaurants. Kale comes to mind. Fries on sandwiches are an excess of the heartland.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#39 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,366 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:33 PM

I mean really, why not dump a couple of scoops of mashed potatoes on a roast beef sandwich?
There are excesses that happen in New York restaurants. Kale comes to mind. Fries on sandwiches are an excess of the heartland.

Recipe for a roast beef and mashed potato sandwich. Gravy optional

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=iRz-UFKfB5M
“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#40 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,972 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:56 PM

I was super disappointed with Primanti sandwiches. French fries in a sandwich, you need only to go as far as the Rutgers Grease Trucks
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#41 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,366 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:19 PM

The Washington Post has an infomercial about drinking in Pittsburgh. They speak well of The Wigle Room at the Omni William Penn. Dozens of rye and Bourbon choices.

Butcher and the Rye, mentioned up thread, also offers many choices.

How can anyone speak badly of a city which sponsors a Three Day Blow?

LINK TO FOLLOW
Niccolò Machiavelli

#42 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,366 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:37 PM

Lidia's Pittsburgh has brought in a new chef from the Kansas City farm team. Dan Walker makes mashed potatoes, and worked his way up from line cook.

http://www.post-gaze...ines-Newsletter
Niccolò Machiavelli