71 replies to this topic

#61 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,974 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:56 PM

Does Portland, ME have a reputation?  Not like Pittsburgh (which doesn't live up to it, IMO) or Portland, OR or Charleston or Nashville (which seem like they do).

I think died-in-the-wool New Yorkers like you and me are incapable of dispassionately discussing Boston.  (I mean, it really is second rate -- but you and I would say so regardless.)  Las Vegas lives up to its reputation -- for better or worse.  Right?   And to add another, Philadelphia totally lives up to its reputation.  (Although it's hard for me to think of Philadelphia as "second tier".)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#62 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,974 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:06 PM

I mean, if Boston were any good, it would be first tier, right?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#63 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,674 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:25 PM

Would it?  I don't really know what the delimiters are for tiers, even though I used it as a definer.

1st tier - NY, SF, LA, Chicago?

Not that eater makes any sense ever, but would it make sense to look at the cities eater covers and think of them as places that think of themselves as having an excellent food scene?

#64 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,620 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:57 PM

Portland, ME has had a good reputation for years. Remember JohnnyD from eG? He used to post about Death Matches among chefs there. And other than Fore Street, which we did not think was worth its reputation, there are some really good places (or were the last time we were there).

What's needed for critical mass, again?

The day that my fridge tells me what I need to buy, or talks to me via my iPhone, or shows me what's inside via some sort of display, is the day that my knives need to be taken away from me. -- joethefoodie, 8 February 2018 - 9:02 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#65 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,974 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:51 AM

Would it?  I don't really know what the delimiters are for tiers, even though I used it as a definer.

Not that eater makes any sense ever, but would it make sense to look at the cities eater covers and think of them as places that think of themselves as having an excellent food scene?

I just meant that if a city as big and culturally important as Boston had a good food scene, it would be first tier.

The fact that it isn't considered first tier is kind of the same signifier as Restaurant Daniel "only" having three stars.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#66 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:27 AM

Would New Orleans have a first tier food scene? How about Charleston SC?
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#67 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,974 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:53 AM

Obviously they both do, right?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#68 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,974 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:55 AM

I think maybe I'm misunderstanding Joe here. There are second-tier cities with first-tier food scenes (Charleston, Nashville, etc.). There are first-tier cities with second-tier food scenes (Boston). There are first-tier cities with first-tier food scenes (Philadelphia, Chicago, SF, etc.). The tier of the city isn't always the same as the tier of its native food scene. But if a first-tier city has any kind of credible food scene at all, it's going to be considered first tier.  Right?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#69 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,674 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:43 PM

Yes.  I'm using the word "tier" as a descriptor of the city, not its food scene.

FWIW, I don't know if I consider Philadelphia or Boston as a first-tier cities, and this is just a very personal way of looking at, or thinking about, cities.

I think about cities in the US where I believe I could live, and it's basically NYC and what used to be San Francisco. I also believe Los Angeles and Chicago to be first-tier cities, not that I could live in either.

And I probably just confused myself even more.

#70 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,674 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:46 PM

And is the elephant in the room Washington, DC?

#71 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,974 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:49 PM

Washington, DC is certainly a first-tier city.  It's funny how hard it is to tell how good the dining scene is from what people post here.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#72 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:21 PM

that churchkey place couldn't serve that food in nyc.