11 replies to this topic

#1 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:06 PM

Just got back form a week in Palma. Did not post ahead of time as I was not expecting anything much, especially in terms of food. Just wanted to go to the beach with the baby a few times and sit around in the sun reading and not think about work. But actually...it was really nice. Of course the tourists are there, but early September the weather is perfect, not too hot, slightly fewer tourists. And the worst ones actually stay in Arenal because they're too hung over to do anything during the day.

This was my second time on the island, but my first time really exploring Palma. Nice old city, with lots to do in the evening, easy to avoid the cheesy stuff. There are some stunning beaches elsewhere on the island (Palma's is just OK), and probably some good restaurants though at the time we were visiting friends who didn't prioritize that sort of thing.

Will give more details, but had a wonderful lunch at the fish counter at Mercado del Olivar (steamed clams, raw clams, steamed razor clams, steamed prawns, steamed langoustines, good oysters....) and found three very nice restaurants without much work.

We were starting to window shop realtor signs, which is always a bad sign.

I hear Ibiza is Techno hell, but Minorca and Formatera are now very high on my list (though the food is not supposed to be that good.)

Anyone else have experiences to share?
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,351 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:00 PM

I thought Meet the Balearics was life-changing. But Wilfrid thinks they're overrated.

I love the wines down there: Anima Negra and the few others. Did you have any?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:37 PM

We had a lot of wine, almost everything from Mallorca. Unfortunately few of the restaurants have their wine lists online, and I didn't take notes.We had an organic 13.5% red at a place called 13% (food decent, nice atmosphere) But even the very cheap white we had at the fish counter in the market was good. We did go to one very wine focused place (la bodeguilla) but there we went for a Priorat, which is one of my favorite wines and I don't get it very often. According to their online menu Les Terrasses 02/03. The food at this place was outstanding btw, in particular a platter of grilled vegetables I just ordered offhand.

We had a local white at Tasca de Blanquerra, and the food here again was very good. There was another place we went to several times mainly because they were baby friendly -- will look up the name -- but they made one of the best gazpachos I've had anywhere.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#4 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

We had a lot of wine, almost everything from Mallorca. Unfortunately few of the restaurants have their wine lists online, and I didn't take notes.We had an organic 13.5% red at a place called 13% (food decent, nice atmosphere) But even the very cheap white we had at the fish counter in the market was good. We did go to one very wine focused place (la bodeguilla) but there we went for a Priorat, which is one of my favorite wines and I don't get it very often. According to their online menu Les Terrasses 02/03. The food at this place was outstanding btw, in particular a platter of grilled vegetables I just ordered offhand.

We had a local white at Tasca de Blanquerra, and the food here again was very good. There was another place we went to several times mainly because they were baby friendly -- will look up the name -- but they made one of the best gazpachos I've had anywhere.

BTW here is the link for la bodeguilla -- They have a searchable wine list on their site. I would guess anything Mallorcan that they offer is probably the best of the heap.
-Chomskybot

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,351 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

Hey, thanks for all that.

A client/wine buff just returned from Mallorca as well. (She CLAIMED she wasn't interested in Ibiza.) I'll have to ask her about all this stuff.

ETA -- She lives in Germany, too. Is this where you guys all go?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hey, thanks for all that.

A client/wine buff just returned from Mallorca as well. (She CLAIMED she wasn't interested in Ibiza.) I'll have to ask her about all this stuff.

Stop reading if you've heard this one:

A prime minister arrives at an airport in Spain and goes through the entry process:

Entry clerk: Name?

PM: Angela Merkel.

EC: Occupation?

PM: No, just a short holiday.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,351 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

I've heard it -- and I somehow restrained myself from telling it to my client before she left.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:56 PM

In this case A had some work there and I tagged along. But yes, Germans do seem to holiday in packs.

I should add, considering all the political stuff with the ECB and all, wait/hotel/etc staff were all very friendly. I guess they can't afford to lose the tourism right now, but the attention to the baby seemed quite genuine.
-Chomskybot

#9 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

There's a baby? Did I know this????
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,351 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

You've missed out on the world-famous Mini-B?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,618 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

In this case A had some work there and I tagged along. But yes, Germans do seem to holiday in packs.

I should add, considering all the political stuff with the ECB and all, wait/hotel/etc staff were all very friendly. I guess they can't afford to lose the tourism right now, but the attention to the baby seemed quite genuine.

They must be genuinely nice as they know you're going to pay whether you come or not Posted Image

If you liked the L.T. 2003 you should get yourself a couple of bottles of the 2010. They're no longer giving the stuff away, but still a very good wine for the price.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#12 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

They must be genuinely nice as they know you're going to pay whether you come or not Posted Image

If you liked the L.T. 2003 you should get yourself a couple of bottles of the 2010. They're no longer giving the stuff away, but still a very good wine for the price.

Sorry, just saw this post. Thanks Orik, will see if I can get a case.
-Chomskybot