538 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,740 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

Platt's three star review (out of five).

Seating (obviously my number one concern):

a polished counter lined with the kind of padded chairs with which your father may have outfitted his retro suburban wet bar

Aged meats? Check.

The delicately funky, spoon-tender Wagyu beef at this Brooklyn restaurant is aged for up to 85 days...

Odd thing about this review, although Platt clearly likes some dishes, he doesn't really say what he thinks of the place overall. Worth it? Great? Good, but not great? Dunno.

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,189 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

So when are you going?
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#3 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,740 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

Who knows? I can probably let you know by about 9.15am on Thursday that I'm not going in November.

#4 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,189 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

*07 is your friend.

#5 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,740 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

I think it's more of a help if Carlo is your friend.

#6 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,666 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

Not perfect but pretty fantastic. Much deliciousness. Lovely comfortable space, very good service, nice pace to the meal.

More when my new laptop has charged, posting via iPhone is just too tedious.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#7 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,189 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

To answer the question posted elsewhere, yes, the error Wells made in his evaluation is as big, if not bigger than Bruni's 2 stars for gilt.

#8 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,666 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

To answer the question posted elsewhere, yes, the error Wells made in his evaluation is as big, if not bigger than Bruni's 2 stars for gilt.

Right. Much discussion of this point during and after the meal as Orik has just reminded me.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#9 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,740 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

I am not disagreeing, but is it feasible that Blanca was shooting for four stars, as I think Gilt was (however unlikely it was to receive them)?

Or perhaps stars don't figure in their thinking; I could believe that.

#10 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

<snip>

Why should they? Filling sixty covers a week couldn't possibly depend on a review. They know what the restaurant does. Four stars aren't needed to validate that.

Maybe there should be a special unstarred category of pieces for "places most people will never be able to get into but want to read about because they're masochists and like to read about places they'll never get into."* That way, no important limited editorial time/effort/space lost from the weekly reviews of real restaurants.

*Kind of like the way I want to read Orik et al discussing restaurants in Paris or Tokyo or Stockholm or wherever.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#11 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,189 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

I am not disagreeing, but is it feasible that Blanca was shooting for four stars, as I think Gilt was (however unlikely it was to receive them)?

I think 3 stars would not be a controversial score, four stars would be difficult given that it's an indicator of great poshness, two stars just makes no sense given the food and service. (find me another two star restaurant with this quality of food)

I'm also confident now that his tea was not over-brewed.

#12 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

I think 3 stars would not be a controversial score, four stars would be difficult given that it's an indicator of great poshness, two stars just makes no sense given the food and service. (find me another two star restaurant with this quality of food)

I'm also confident now that his tea was not over-brewed.

agreed.

it falls so squarely into the 3-star category that it seems like a no-brainer. strange that wells ended up next to so many narcoleptics because the menu doesn't take that long. as daisy mentioned, the pacing is great. pretty brisk. and with a somewhat rapid fire (and enjoyable) start to the meal, i'm not sure why bread is an issue.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#13 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

Wells's review struck me as a positive recommendation. The only argument is that he was merely enthusiastic, rather than orgasmic. In contrast, Bruni's Gilt review came across as largely negative, and that for a restaurant that was not only aiming for four stars, but in many people's eyes ought to have received them.

I think we can stipulate that Blanca, unlike Gilt, is not the sort of place that depended on a particular number of stars to remain viable. But if you count that way, Wells was off by one and Bruni was off by two. So I would say Bruni committed the larger error, without question.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#14 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,189 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:48 AM

Off topic - contrary to common belief, Gilt's closure had nothing to do with Bruni's review. It would have closed at exactly the same time and manner had it received four stars.

#15 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

Off topic - contrary to common belief, Gilt's closure had nothing to do with Bruni's review. It would have closed at exactly the same time and manner had it received four stars.

Well, the actual impact of the Gilt review is that Paul Liebrandt was fired. The restaurant remained open for another six+ years, but with different chefs. I agree with you that its closure, so long afterward, had nothing to do with Bruni.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal