538 replies to this topic

#526 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:16 AM

This meal was one of the best there, and not only because the plane from Tsukiji crash landed over the restaurant with excellent uni and nodoguro, but also because blanca is finding its place in a post hipster world. Only three people in the kitchen (not including Carlo who was away) delivered very clearly two michelin star food, the foh did an excellent job at offering the right level of details to all. Just great. Almost entirely female team, btw.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#527 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:31 PM

I hadn't been in over a year but returned on a recent trip to NY and had a similar experience.  There were some updated dishes from the old Roberta's days (caviar with stracciatella, this time with citrus; uni with polenta), a bunch of updated Blanca standbys, and great service, as usual.  This is a very tight crew, both front and back.

Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#528 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,258 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:00 PM

Still great.  Maybe even greater than ever.

I don't like this style of eating (17 or whatever small small small plates) (to be clear, Aska has an extended menu as well -- but the individual courses are much larger).  I mean, sure the house pancetta is almost amazingly rich, for example -- but don't you still want more than a tiny strand?*  But if it must be done, please God let it be done like this.

(I think the cooking is more technically accomplished at Brooklyn Fare.  But to me, the food at Blanca is more satisfying.)

*  DATE:  What did the server say was in this dish with [actually I don't remember what it was with**]?

ME:  Gooseberry.

DATE:  Where's there gooseberry in this?

ME (pointing to tiny sliver):  There.

DATE:  THAT'S a serving of gooseberry?

By the end of the meal, she was completely won over, though.

** Oh, right.  It was in a dish identified on the post-dinner menu as "Nectarine, coriander".  They neglected to mention the gooseberry -- and the relatively generous slab of uni on top of it all.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#529 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,258 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:09 PM

You may remember several years ago there was controversy here over whether Blanca was stinting on luxe ingredients.  This meal included caviar, foie gras, two courses with uni, very aged pork, and very aged beef.  (Tiny portions, of course.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#530 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:56 PM

We are planning on this being our next splurge meal...maybe in September/October.  Been wanting to try it for years but recent reports are confirming that this is the time!

#531 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,258 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 06:00 PM

I do have to say that the collective musical taste of my fellow diners last night was atrocious.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#532 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:05 PM

I do have to say that the collective musical taste of my fellow diners last night was atrocious.

I imagine at some point they've dealt with people bringing their own vinyl?

#533 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,183 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:07 PM

did they play metal?

#534 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,258 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:12 PM

God no.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#535 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,258 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:17 PM

Nothing anyone could have brought could have been worse than the MOR AOR people were choosing from the play pile.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#536 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:52 PM

Nothing anyone could have brought could have been worse than the MOR AOR people were choosing from the play pile.

Sounds like it might have been a yacht rock party!

#537 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,258 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:08 AM

I hope you do better in that regard.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#538 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,258 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:09 AM

You know, I really have to single out one dish, just because it was so unexpected how spectacularly good it was.

Ocean perch with mustard greens.

They did something to the perch.  It wasn't quite pickled -- but it was on the way.  It was just so flavorful.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#539 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,892 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:42 PM

They didn't do anything to that perch, it was just a good piece of nodoguro, There's something to the fat that when it singes it has that flavor. Great dish though.

I think my favorite tho were the pasta dishes - the goat caramel agnolotti with horseradish and poppy seed so great. 

I just really enjoy the style and palate of this place, even tho I'd rather not to do a regimented tasting like this.

No one really picked albums tho, so the staff did what I jokingly told my wife was "Introduction to classic R&B via samples from popular hip-hop"

Grappa gelato still tastes like Kerosene

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"