9 replies to this topic

#1 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

There's some very, very decent food here, but not at too many places.

Roger Hickman's

Been three times now (first time around 15-20 years ago). We had a very good Game Dinner some weeks ago. Lovely venison, partridge, and the amuses of crab were delightfully light. Can't remember all of the courses, but I finished every single thing; the portions were absolutely right.

http://www.rogerhick...restaurant.com/

The Last Wine Bar

I love this place. There's some serious stuff going on in this kitchen. A special I recently had was a whole plaice with new potatoes. Up there with J. Sheekey.
http://www.lastwinebar.co.uk/index.htm

The Last Brasserie

New sister restaurant of the Last Wine Bar. Solid food, maybe needs to diversify the menu. (Or maybe we went too often in quick succession.)

http://www.lastbrasserie.co.uk/

The Mulberry

A very good gastro-pub. I tend to like it more than G. Very good burgers, pates, sausages. The staff are incredibly nice.
http://www.mymulberr...en-us/home.aspx

The Parson Woodforde

Another gastro-pub (it also has a restaurant attached) around 8 miles outside Norwich. This is ambitious and they pull it off. For example, Pan Fried Pigeon Breast, Black Pudding, Sticky Apricots, Juniper & Pea Shoots--and it worked. This is our new local. They have a new chef, Eden Derrick, formerly of the Mad Moose gastro pub--went there around 4 months ago and it was very good too, probably under his leadership.
http://www.theparsonwoodforde.com/
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#2 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,344 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

Sounds good, Yvonne, and it's good to hear from you.

#3 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

Ta, Lippy.

Took a while to settle in and start new jobs etc. I have been reading along, tho, and happy everyone is accounted for.

#4 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 81,666 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

venison, partridge...whole plaice with new potatoes...Pan Fried Pigeon Breast, Black Pudding...

What, no pork belly? :lol:

#5 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

venison, partridge...whole plaice with new potatoes...Pan Fried Pigeon Breast, Black Pudding...

What, no pork belly? :lol:/>

You know what, I think there was some. But it tasted very different from the variety in NY. Very lean it was, iirc.

(Another thing, less lean-- remember back bacon with the rind on? I have a local butcher that offers that. Wow.)

Oh, and the wines were very good at Roger Hickman's; they kept filling up your glass. Wilf would've approved of the above-the-mid-of-glass of the pours of both reds and whites.

#6 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,758 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:45 AM

I think the Johnsons' new house is blown up at the end of Skyfall.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#7 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

I think the Johnsons' new house is blown up at the end of Skyfall.

seeing that house get blown up was a shame...
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#8 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 81,666 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

I remember proper bacon, not cooked to a crisp.

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,758 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:19 AM

You wouldn't have wanted to be at my apartment Friday night.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#10 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,021 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:00 PM

G. Johnson has finally snapped.

Northampton Clown Terrorizes English Town Just By Standing Around (PHOTOS)

The Huffington Post  |  By Sebastian Murdock Posted: 09/16/2013 10:05 am EDT  |  Updated: 09/16/2013 11:25 am EDT

gplus-32.png

r-CREEPY-ENGLISH-CLOWN-large570.jpg?6

It doesn't speak. It doesn't juggle. It has balloons but doesn't hand them out. It probably doesn't even sleep. It just stands there, haunting our dreams with that sinister smile.

An anonymous man has been striking fear into the hearts of the Northampton, U.K., community by ominously standing around in creepy clown apparel.

The Northampton Herald & Post first reported the sightings earlier this month. The clown has allegedly been spotted all over town, and sometimes is seen carrying a clown teddy.

o-OHGOD-570.jpg?5

Efforts made to discover the identity of the jester have yielded few results. A recent YouTube video showing a man being interviewed in clown garb made waves, but the clown denied that it was him on his Facebook page.

Sightings of the clown have prompted the Twitter hashtag #northamptonclown, which is being used to speculate on the reasons for the clown's appearance, The Independent reported.

Whatever the reason, it doesn't look like this clown is leaving any time soon. And here we thought clowns couldn't get any scarier than Pennywise.

It is unknown at this time whether or not the clown feeds on the souls of children.

o-CRYINGWITHFEAR-570.jpg?2

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China