102 replies to this topic

#31 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,722 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

Woman of mystery (she wasn't the obituarist).  I hadn't realised "Hungry City" has officially replaced "$25 and Under," but it did.

Very little about her online.  She was blogging for the New Yorker three years ago.  Looks like she was with Grub Street before that.  She's based in Brooklyn. 

Here she is working off some calories.  Chefs should clearly post this picture in the kitchen.

image013.jpg

#32 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,351 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

She wrote something absolutely retarded about The Vanderbilt.  I haven't forgiven her since.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#33 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,722 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

This might be better (on the right):

image008.jpg

#34 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,571 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

She wrote something absolutely retarded about The Vanderbilt.  I haven't forgiven her since.

Dude, you're going to get kicked out of the Park Slope food co-op.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#35 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,351 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

I quit before I finished orientation.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#36 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

I'm becoming increasingly ashamed of my membership IRL.

#37 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,004 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

Woman of mystery (she wasn't the obituarist).  I hadn't realised "Hungry City" has officially replaced "$25 and Under," but it did.

Very little about her online.  She was blogging for the New Yorker three years ago.  Looks like she was with Grub Street before that.  She's based in Brooklyn. 

Here she is working off some calories.  Chefs should clearly post this picture in the kitchen.

image013.jpg

I just decided that she's a fabulous writer...:)

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#38 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

That's dangerous.  They may send a squad of "coordinators" to pick you up and send you to their "re-education center."

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#39 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

Isn't that Cooper Hewitt in the background?

So is the verb

to Ligayte

or

to make a Mishan of?

Meaning to write in ways previously used only by restaurantgirl, with excess floridity and laughingly inappropriate adjectives. Nothing says we can't use both, of course.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#40 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,351 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

That's dangerous.  They may send a squad of "coordinators" to pick you up and send you to their "re-education center."

Believe me, every morning I feel the back of my head to see if there's an ice axe sticking out.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#41 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

Leon, is that you?

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

#42 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,351 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

It's ironic that my friends are in the slideshow accompanying Ligaya's review (the corner of my head is just popping out behind one of their shoulders).

We're memorialized just the way the owner wanted us:  out of his restaurant.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#43 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,117 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

From RG's FB feed (italicized by moi)...

Need a new restaurant in your life? We discovered a great, new French bistro called Le Philosophe. They're reviving classics, like Duck A L'orange, Lobster Thermidor & more. Oh, and Le Philosophe's got the best French fries in the city, which is reason enough to visit!

#44 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

Kind the way Columbus discovered the New World?

#45 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:39 AM

Had a nice dinner at the bar here tonight.  The bouchot mussels, served in a creamy sauce spiked with aleppo, were pretty great and are likely the best thing on the menu.  A must order.  Less great (but still pretty good) was the duck a l'orange.  A flawlessly cooked med-rare duck breast with perfectly crisp & rendered skin, accompanied by silky and buttery mashed potatoes, was let down by a limp and boring orange sauce.  A dessert of profiteroles was bountiful - 3 tennis ball sized profiteroles stuffed with hazelnut ice cream and slathered with chocolate sauce and chopped nuts.  A competent dessert, but not really distinguished in any way.

Le Philosophe isn't going to rock your world, but it's a solid neighborhood restaurant.

Man about town.