169 replies to this topic

#166 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:49 AM

That pre-curtain thing was just so damn weird. How could they have thought that was a good idea?

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#167 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,018 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:51 AM

I thought it was perfectly entertaining.  But who was that woman?

It was only when she turned out to be a very minor player that it seemed pointless.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#168 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,018 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:52 AM

(I mean, considering who was dancing Bianca, I should have recognized it wasn't her.  But it didn't make any sense otherwise.  And me, I'm charitable [after all, I've paid a lot of money for my ticket]:  I always give things the interpretation that makes the most sense -- until it becomes impossible not to.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#169 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:17 PM

I meant in retrospect, yeah. It was neat at the time. Then the actual Katherina and Bianca showed up and it was confusing and weird.

#170 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:58 AM

After the Blast at LCT3 sucked. I came out of it thinking that it had some cool ideas and was a good freshman effort, but then I realized who Zoe Kazan was. It fails in two pretty fundamental ways.

First, and most immediately noticeable, it's a science fiction story that doesn't manage to do a plausible job at world building. The former of the two big plot twists was so obvious that I thought maybe it was a failure in world building. When it became clear, instead it made me think that the main character was just an idiot. Maybe I'm touchy because I was a major SF fan in the past, but implausible near-future SF is just sort of offensive.

The problem that I realized later on was that the play also just lacks strength in its convictions. It wears a certain brand of politics on its sleeve through offhand references and some nice casting choices... except the main characters are a pragmatic male scientist and a female ex-writer/now-housewife suffering from depression (despite the existence of housewives making no sense in-universe). Like, what the hell? Not only is it an outdated sexist (gendered?) stereotype, it's stupidly at odds with the constant dog whistles throughout the rest of the play. And, no, lampshading that your main characters are sexist stereotypes isn't enough – maybe just don't use sexist stereotypes to start with.