228 replies to this topic

#211 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:56 AM

Not the sexism, but the rather grim view of human nature (which the work ultimately argues we just have to learn to live with).

Blame that on Da Ponte, not the production. Seriously, would you want to see such a downer of a production? Would you want to see a Nozze that emphasizes how much of a shit the Count is, and how wrong droit du seigneur was? That would override the beauty of the music, and make the production no fun at all.

Now, as then (maybe even more now? IDK, this is what I'm living through), people need a bit of escape from the real world. And this is a hell of a lot better than, say, Real Housewives. Not saying i don't go to shows that emphasize the crap going on today, but if this is the kind of circus I'm offered, I'm okay with that.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#212 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:30 AM

I don't "blame" Da Ponte. I blame the production for undercutting Da Ponte.

Would I want to see the "downer" productions you posit?  HELL YES.  That's about all I want to see.  I go to the opera for art, not stupid entertainment.  If people need escape, they should go to musicals or the movies.  (Of course, the Met's audience is so braindead, I should just give up.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#213 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:37 AM

Or, at least go to stupid operas rather than smart ones.  The Met certainly programs enough of them.  But that's no reason for a purportedly respectable arts organization to reduce great works like Cosi to candy floss.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#214 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:39 AM

I'm going to see Lear on Sunday.  I'm gonna be real pissed off if, because the times make people want escapism and all, this is the "happy" Lear.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#215 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:00 AM

I mean, what's the point of doing Marriage of Figaro if it isn't at least in part about how droit du seigneur (or, to put it in a more general and hence relevant way, the depredations of the ruling class) sucks?  Why do we bother?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#216 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:27 PM

It still wouldn't even be that much of a downer.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#217 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:15 PM

Yeah, it would still be a funny comedy.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#218 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:20 PM

And, I mean, that's what that opera's about.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#219 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:04 PM

Not even the ridiculous grin that Ratmansky's restaging of Harlequinade left on my face could wash away the sour taste of its being a waste of talent and time. Can I call this a synecdoche for ABT as a whole, or is that the wrong term?

Why have they not done either the Ratmansky Sleeping Beauty or his Shostakovich Trilogy since the 2016 spring season? They're like the best damn pieces in their repertory. Argh.

Of course I'm going to try to see Hallberg dance Romeo this week, but still.

#220 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:06 PM

AFTERITE was bad, too.

#221 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:29 AM

So, The Damned, wow.

Why does it seem nearly impossible to get this either on-demand or DVD? I can't make the screening on the 19th.

#222 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:55 AM

WTF is this Creation oratorio staging? I'm pretty sure it added absolutely nothing to the damn thing. Haydn and "DNA" (because the letters are in his name), really?

#223 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:43 AM

I thought it was pretty great. But that might mainly be because the musical performance of this towering masterpiece was so good. (The vocal stuff was amazing. I thought the orchestra was pretty fallible.)

Basically I think you could have five people taking a shit onstage during a performance of The Creation, and if the musical values are there Ill think it was a good night.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#224 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:56 AM

(That was NOT a challenge.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#225 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:14 PM

Agreed with you on the musical aspects of the performance. I enjoyed it overall.

It's just that, for me at least, the staging, was, despite being heavily promoted, alternately useless, trite, patronizing, and infuriating. Also, there weren't even any puppets. I expected puppets.

Looking forward to catching this later with Les Arts Florissants, without random stuff happening on stage.