#106 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,655 posts

Posted Today, 04:27 PM

<snip>

(My local opera company puts on related educational seminars within a week or two of any opera that will be performed. For Werther, there was a seminar on mental health, and then the primer this past weekend, which provided an overview.)

Well, yes. :P

In future: in addition to finding out what the story is, you can just try listening to the composer's music (not necessarily the opera in question, but that, too). If you like it or at least find it interesting, you probably will be okay with the opera. Might not always work--I'm thinking the Verdi Requiem, which I love, but I'd never go to a Verdi opera. Also might not work if you don't like the story but like the music (see Sneak and my conversation about Missy Mazzoli's Breaking the Waves). But as they say, forewarned is forearmed.

[B]ragging rights are a side effect of hype. -- Sneakeater, 4 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#107 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,156 posts

Posted Today, 05:34 PM

I know I'm contradicting my own advice, but I think you'd be shocked at how much you'd like at least several Verdi operas.

I mean, it doesn't even make sense to like the Requiem and not to like Falstaff and Otello, written in the same general style.
Bar Loser

MF Old