80 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,570 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:01 AM

This is an offshort of the old Dining in Stuart, Jensen Beach, and Fort Pierce thread.

I'll lead off with Osceola Street  Cafe, which is located at 26 Osceola Street, up from the Lyric theater.  Seats about sixty people inside, and another 20 or so outside. The restaurant is open from breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Really interesting menu, average wine list. The Catalan shrimp app was four grilled shrimp in a thick garlicky broth with chopped peppers onions, olives, butter and white wine. Served with a grilled toast. This was very engaging, and certainly could become an entree if served with rice or pasta. It had the added advantage of being easy to prepare in advance, then add the cooked to order shrimp

Strawberry apple balsamic over chopped romaine. Simple salad with bleu cheese and candied walnuts.

A wonderful duck breast. Perfectly cooked, pink centers, crispy skin, genrous portion served with a scoop of confit of pulled pork (pulled pork in a salty, peppery, fatty sauce), and a scoop of spaghetti squash. Great taste although I think the plating could have used more color.

A special shout out for the bread. I meant to ask where they got it.  Easily the best bread in Florida, so far.

Menu:

http://www.osceolast...Dinner Menu.pdf

Old thread:

http://mouthfulsfood...o=new_post&f=36

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,570 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:12 AM

And, a mention of the Pelican Cafe, also in Stuart.  It's located under the Roosevelt Bridge / US 1, at the waterfront.  351 SW Flagler Avenue, 772-283-3133

Simple place with good food.  Pitchers of beer are $5.50 during happy hour (2pm -?) during the week, fresh fish is available grilled, broiled, blackened, etc. Average entree is about $12, with wraps, sandwiches, or on a plate.

Pelicans swoop in to check out the place, several people out on the patio had their dogs, etc.  There are basketball courts in the adjacent waterfront esplanade, and teams stopped by for a drink etc.

I had a great fish taco and a half pitcher of beer for about $10. Watching boats move through the St Lucie River, people walking along the boardwalk, etc. Acres of nearby parking, which isn't always the case in downtown Stuart.

ETA: There's also an excellent mahi-mahi rueben sandwich. Cole slaw in place of sauerkraut, nice spicy horseradish mayo, good toasted rye bread. Good chunk of crunchy mahi mahi. Two fisted sandwich served with cheesy french fries (fries with a light dusting of cheddar cheese shreds which melt onto the fries)

Edited by Rail Paul, 24 February 2013 - 02:43 AM.

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,570 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:25 AM

Dinner at Shrimper's in Port Salerno tonight. Port Salerno is a part of Martin County on the water, south of Stuart and the airport. Salerno Road dead ends into the area of restaurants and boat yards.

Shrimper's extends out over the water, you can dine on the deck or inside in a faux Caribbean hut. If the hut had space for a huge bar and 300 seats.  Many people brought kids, although I'd be a little hesitant since the deck dining lacks a fence etc between the deck and the water, five feet down. Dining inside would avoid that problem.

Nice serving of jerked snapper over rice and beans. $19.  Many clear, fruity flavors including mango and peppers, good size piece of fish. $2 Yings and $3 Modelo pints.  My brother in law had a huge portion of oysters on the half shell, which he enjoyed.  Easy going service, very competent. Quite reasonable worked out to about $30 each with a few apps and a few drinks.

Earlier section on Shrimper's http://mouthfulsfood...aurants/page-3?

The area has a bustling night scene. Directly across the boat channel is Manatee Island restauant, which was jammed with a substantial number of people waiting outside and in the large bar area. Farther down the channel, opposite Shrimper's, is Reef Restaurant which also had a busy bar scene. Finz Bar was adjacent. It didn't look as busy.  The area is quite compact, you could walk from Shrimpers, around the end of the channel, past Manatee island and down to Reef in under ten minutes.

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,570 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

The Pelican Cafe received a nice write up in the local Treasure Coast Palm newspaper.  The restaurant's fenced in "beach area" with tables, kid-friendly toys, an occasional friendly dog, etc is very popular with families.

The menu offers a varied selection of salads, seafood items, sandwiches and wraps. Each of us chose from the Pelican's signature items, starting with a bowl of hot seafood chowder with chunks of mahi, shrimp, mushrooms and celery in a creamy tomato broth with a nice kick to it ($5.25).

The Greek salad ($16.95) with blackened shrimp, artichokes, red onion, kalamata olives, roasted red peppers, portabella mushrooms and big pieces of feta cheese was as pretty as a picture and tasted just as good.

One friend ordered the beer-braised short rib hoagie ($13.95) with fork tender pieces of beef in a sweet onion marmalade with horseradish sour cream and smothered with melted provolone. With a side of French fries, she hardly made a dent in the huge sandwich.

I chose the tropical mahi, ($14.95) blackened, topped with a pineapple salsa and served with a vegetable blend of broccoli, green beans, red peppers and onions with rice pilaf. Again, it was a great presentation, and everything tasted fresh.

#5 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,570 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:50 PM

I want to mention The Crafted Keg in Stuart.  555 Colorado Avenue, between the railroad and US 1.  Sixty plus taps with a huge range of beers.  Ommegang, Southern Tier, Goose Island, most of the well known makers.  Very reasonable prices $4 to $7 a pint.

George the barkeep is very helpful.  They do a good business after work hours.  No food yet, but they do have a deal with the Taco joint next door to deliver orders, etc. And, a deal with  Ellie's Deli across the street to deliver sandwiches.

The neighborhood is a mix of thrift shops, hair salons, taco joints, law offices, a blood buying service, and lots of 1930s era Flordia houses.  The south branch marinas are two blocks away, the Flagler / Osceola center of town is maybe four blocks away.  Looks like a nice neighborhood for artists, musicians, hippies, etc with some money.

#6 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,570 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:08 AM

Few places from last week.

The Gafford in Stuart. Higher end dining, with many items in the high 20s,low 30s. Good beer list with several craft choices, by the bottle and a few on tap.  One of the best fried chicken examples I've ever had. Half chicken, perfectly breaded with a tempura finish. Served over garlic mashed potatoes, with asparagus.

Dee had a broiled mahi-mahi, which we both agreed lacked much flavor. Properly cooked, just lacking any real flavor.  Wonderful bread. I was told the bread is shipped from Chicago weekly. It is shaped at the Gafford, and baked.

Riverwalk Bistro in Stuart. Another enjoyable dinner. Dee had the fiocchi (peach  filling inside a raviolo) with a sage, sausage, lemon butter sauce. Very enjoyable.  I had a Ahi tuna nacho plate, which was slices of tuna, Asian cole slaw, sweet ponzu, on grilled tortillas. The menu mentioned soba noodles, so I guess they were improvising.

Pelican Cafe at the foot of Flagler Street in Stuart, by the railroad. Two for one beers, good fish taco sandwiches, watch the trains go by.

Shrimpers in Port Salerno.  I had the grilled grouper, which was wonderful. The restaurant is on a pier, so you can watch boats working in and out of the harbor

#7 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,570 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:17 PM

The TC Palm newspaper has a nice write up on The Boathouse, which is located at the concert stage, foot of Seminole street, overlooking the river/inlet. Superb location. Across the street from Riverwalk.

The content is restricted, so suffice it to say their reviewer really enjoyed it. Although "tuna tartar" and "sushi filled with fried tuna" may suggest a restaurant or reviewer disconnect.  I don't have a good sense of her preferences, so I may hold off until I visit in a few weeks.

http://stuartboathouse.com

#8 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,570 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:28 AM

Dinner last week at King Neptune, which is a  restaurant on the corner of Salerno Road and Old Dixie Highway, in downtown Port Salerno. That's an old fishing village on the south side of Stuart.  Menu generally has two or three local fish daily, with clams, shrimp, etc. Usually have a pasta, and they'll combine items. Most things on the menu are under $22.

Nice beer list, with several drafts available, I found this impressive for a 30-35 seat restaurant.  Good turnover, the guy at the next table had 3-4 pints on its own.

Our server, Alix, conjured a common table when a solo diner and a couple showed up about the same time, looking for dinner. Added another two-fer and they had a grand time. I asked her about that, and she mentioned the six-top usually goes unfilled after 7-7.30, so this is a fine way to sell a few more seats.

Good place, I'll be back.

=======================

This corner of little Port Salerno has five respectable seafood restaurants within the distance of a good fly ball.  King Neptune. Manatee Island is across the side street, facing the inlet. Next up the inlet is another place, newly opened. Across the inlet is Shrimper's.

Back at King Neptune, the Basin Seafood and fish market is across the railroad tracks, on Salerno Road.  The Crabby Lobster is across the parking lot. Since the last two have a fine view of the railroad tracks, I'm sure I'll find myself in both before long.

#9 Meredith380

Meredith380

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 05:15 AM

Eleven Maple Street-- http://www.elevenmaple.com is the best place I've been to in the Stuart/ Hutchinson Island area. It's on a side street in Jensen Beach. I celebrated many birthdays there and have great memories.

Headed off to Marco Island this September. The restaurant choices there are a bit more limited.

#10 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,570 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:10 PM

Eleven Maple Street-- http://www.elevenmaple.com is the best place I've been to in the Stuart/ Hutchinson Island area. It's on a side street in Jensen Beach. I celebrated many birthdays there and have great memories.

Headed off to Marco Island this September. The restaurant choices there are a bit more limited.

Yes.

It's been mentioned from time to time, and I wrote it up back in 2012.  Been back once or twice each season, and it remains top of the pack.  Both in quality and price.  I almost made it over last week, but things didn't work out.

http://mouthfulsfood...=+jensen +maple

(I reorganized the threads a few years ago to create a Fort Pierce + north end of south Hutch group, a Stuart + Jensen Beach + Port Salerno  group, and a Hobe Sound + Tequesta + Jupiter group.  Which roughly mirrors how people think of the areas. It's probably 50 miles from the Square Grouper etc on the south end to the Buoy 69  and restaurants on North Hutch at Fort Pierce.  Lot of ground)

#11 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,570 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:42 PM

The TC Palm / Scripps has a review to Toojays, a NY style deli in today's paper.  It's a local chain, with 26 restaurants in south Florida..  I've been to the Stuart location twice. 

Overstuffed sandwiches, a good reuben, fine rye bread (available for take out and by the loaf), salads and appetizing, brisket (served with melted provolone).

The reviewer enjoyed the Vero location, and notes that reservations are only required for the Jewish holidays.  That probably reflects the zany aspects of Florida life as well as anything.  For example, you can have crispy latkes, covered with melted cheese and bacon..  Or a cheeseburger.  Or cheesesteak.  The reviewer qualifies her comments by describing Toojays as "fairly authentic".

I enjoyed the restaurant, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it for anyone who is sensitive to the spirit of the religious dietary laws.

The Vero location is 555 21st Street.  There are 26 locations, mostly in South Florida. The Stuart restaurant is on Federal Highway at Monterey extension, next to the giant West Marine.

http://www.toojays.com/

#12 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,570 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:00 AM

Very enjoyable dinner at The Boathouse in Stuart. Foot of St Lucie street at the concert stage.

$2 draft pints. Soft shell crab, pancetta, aioli, chopped lettuce, tomato in a wrap. Great execution, fine flavors. $15 with house made chips.

Dre had a grilled Mahi with a corn and peach relish. Great, tasty, moist. $25

Nice place. Our server looked like a 25 year old Bourdain. He said I was the third person to tell him that.

#13 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,570 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:58 AM

Nice dinner at the Pelican last night, with the mahi-mahi reuben the star. Exceptionally good. crisoy sandwich. Thick piece of mahi mahi, nicely beaded and deep fried, cole slaw, sliced pickle, crispy rye bread. Home cooked salt and pepper fries. Price has moved up a notch to $14. Was $10 when we started coming here a few years ago.

No trains passed, unfortunately.

#14 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,570 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:34 PM

Nice write up in the TCPalm about District Table & Bar in Stuart (900 Indian at the corner of Willoughby).  Locally sourced food, credits to the various farmers on the menu, etc

Have to put it on the list

Lionfish

Snowy grouuper

Beef marrow

Belle Glade street corn

http://www.districtt...aurant-menu.pdf

#15 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:29 AM

RP, I keep meaning to thank you for all of these wonderful Stuart reviews. My mom lives on Hutchinson Island, and although I don't get down there that often, and we usually eat at home or the local club, I know they will come in handy one day. 

Have you been to El Cubanito on SE Port St Lucie Blvd? We had a killer lunch there a couple of years ago, and I'm dying to try it again.

BlondieNY.com

"Finally something intelligent."