80 replies to this topic

#76 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,292 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:38 AM

One very famous New York restaurant serves old lamb as "mutton", as we all now know.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#77 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,951 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:24 AM

...and by now, we all know mutton is overrated.

#78 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,506 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:49 PM

Dinner last night at the Gafford in Stuart.  Good, not great.

Fine burger, perfectly cooked, good bun. $15

Dee had the Mabel's chicken which was two large pieces of fried chicken breast with a pepper cream gravy. Good mashed potato base. Lot of food.  She pronounced it OK.

Their Wednesday half price wine deal continues, we had a fine bottle of Erath pinot noir 2015 for $44. Good wine, will be better in 2-3 years. The house is pouring it way too early, I think.

Dee had an OK green salad, I had a bowl of their poblano corn and crab bisque. That was a wonderful soup, with layers and layers of flavor.  Definitely something I'd like to make.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#79 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,506 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:58 PM

Dinner at Ian's Tropical Grill 2875 East Ocean Blvd, past the Fresh Market.  On balance, I liked it.  Fresh, bright flavors, outdoor dining which is unusual this time of the year. A less warm breeze is pleasant.

An addictive cheddar jalapeno corn biscuit with sweet butter.  Most menu items had local connections to Ground Floor Farm,  and other very local providers. Like District, etc.

Carefully thought out local draft beer list  Dee had a burger, which she pronounced OK. More medium than medium rare. Fine burger roll, real tomatoes, liked the fries. We shared an app that was described as a pork taco.  Flat tortilla on a bright plate. small pile of falling apart, well spiced pork, topped with shredded cole slaw, jalapeno, carrots, etc. Very visual, and tasted fine. Dee felt the pork sauce was a little soapy, I didn't get that at all.  I had a chicken and waffles appetizer, which was a half jalapeno waffle with a big piece of spicy rolled out thigh, deep fried, very crisp. Came with a scoop of the same slaw used on the pork, minus the jalapeno, but plus a ginger honey sauce.

Dessert was a concoction called banoffee pie. Cookie crumbs, sliced bananas, espresso cream on a well decorated plate. Said to be made by their in house baker.

Liked it, will probably be back. There were several menu items of considerable interest like "crack osso bucco chicken" deep fried chicken with crack sauce.  Likely the nice piece I had, with a different sauce

https://www.ianstrop...rill.com/menus/

#80 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,506 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:37 AM

I haven't mentioned Vine & Barley, a newish place on the corner of  St Lucie Avenue & Osceola in Stuart.  This craft beer and wine bar is located in the former toxicology / rehab center for the county.  On any morning, a large number (20-30) people would be outside, waiting to have blood / hair taken, in keeping with their probation status. Irony.

It's a nice place inside, with good light, lots of exposed wood beams, etc. This was once a bank, and later a pineapple warehouse.  Big bar with comfortable chairs, and an ungodly number of taps. Their material says 24 taps, I believe that.  Lots of unusual stuff, like the Bell's, Stone, Rogue, Angry Chair, Founders, etc that you don't often see on tap down here.  

Good selection of wines, with about 50 in an array of Eno-matic machines.  2oz, 4oz, 6oz pours on demand.  You purchase a pre-loaded card, and go to town. The card also works for beer, although they draw the beer.  Large selection of beer and wine glasses. They replace the glass when you change beverages.

Food offerings are minimal. A microwave, choice of quesadilla, some kind of sausage plate, sliders, Brie several ways, nachos, etc,  Stuart can be difficult, so they may be feeling their way into a real kitchen.  It is a weakness if they want to move past a generic bar, which I think they should.

overall, it's a nice place based on two visits. Widely differing crowd, fishing boat captains, several retirees, after work groups, mainly women. Friendly staff, almost hosts.

https://www.vineandbarleypalmcity.com/

#81 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,506 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:34 AM

Nice write up in the TCPalm about District Table & Bar in Stuart (900 Indian at the corner of Willoughby).  Locally sourced food, credits to the various farmers on the menu, etc

Have to put it on the list

Lionfish
Snowy grouuper
Beef marrow
Belle Glade street corn
 http://www.districtt...aurant-menu.pdf

Really enjoyable dinner at District tonight. Everything came together so well. Good and interesting food, good service.
The restaurant portrays itself as "farm, ocean, table' with a daily menu. Suppliers are listed on the wall, along with ($7) coravin selections, and cheeses of the week. Red grouper with escarole, beans, tomatoes, etc. Lots of vegetarian combinations like apples, garlic, endive, blue cheese,and an ice wine vinegar. Octopus with chick peas, olives, harrissa, and salsa Verde.
Sweet tea fried chicken with a fabulous biscuit and sausage gravy. This was wonderful. Nearly perfect.
We saw a wonderful steak, cheeseburger stack, Mac and cheese, blue crab and pimento, and "Lake Worth street corn" a pile of corn, quest, peppers, onions, etc..
Not cheap (110 before tip), but really good. Capuano Ferreri burgundy.

Another fine meal at District. These people really understand food

Superfood salad of field peas, quinoa, roasted golden beets, a deviled egg, and a cumin vinaigrette.

Roasted baby best salad with ricotta, endive, frisee, navel Orange and pomegranate seeds.

Chicken and dumplings. Crispy confit thigh, creamed kale, shaved root vegetables, and a Yard egg. Liked this a lot. Great colors and fragrance.

Sweet tea chicken. Three pieces of crispy fried chicken, a big lard biscuit, local strawberry jam, local honey, and a sausage cream gravy. The last three were in their own cups.

They were out of the Capuano burgundy, so we had a glass of Santenay. And a wonderful $4 weybacher cherry Belgian. $70 before tip, all in

Another fine dinner at District.  Prices have moved up a notch or two, with several items now over $30. That's unusual in Stuart area, but less so in Jupiter and Tequesta.

Wonderful ribeye, perfectly cooked with duck fat fingerlings and creamed whole spinach. Just about perfect.  A nice piece of triggerfish (similar to hogfish), also perfectly cooked with a lemon broth, lentils, micro greens, and small pieces of crab. Generous pour of a pinot noir and an IPA aged in rum barrels. Nice taste, wasn't at all harsh.

We know that you need to get there early (before 6.30) or late (after 8) to avoid an hour's wait. By 6.15, the place was a third filled, by 6.45 there was a line outside. No reservations.

Their blog has pictures of the triggerfish in a slightly different prep, and their slow cooked pork shoulder, deep fried curds, jalapeno. The next table over had that order.  Our bill, with bread ($4 for an olive rye toast and whipped butter) and dessert (ice cream and a chocolate peanut butter pie) came to $125 with tip.

They were pushing a spinalis. Described as "the top of the rib, including the fat cap. Juicy, rich, exceptionally good." $35, which is very high in this area.  The staff is very well trained. Sarah and Jenny both described items to various nearby tables using exactly the same terms, even the same 'this is really good' etc.  Service is great here, staff are experienced, most of last year's staff was here tonight, with six servers and two bussers for 80-90 people. They do high touch very well.

http://www.districtt...ndbar.com/blog/

District is moving.  Renovations are underway in a much larger space on Dixie Highway in Port Salerno. Two blocks north from King Neptune restaurant. I stopped over today to see how things are going. Website says "October or November" I'd say the latter is more likely.

Bigger space, twice bigger kitchen, directly opposite the Florida East Coast Railway. So, I can have dinner and watch trains.

https://www.district...ar.com/themove/