33 replies to this topic

#1 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

My friend Adam owns the Bridge Cafe, and man - the area is still struggling mightily...

http://www.usatoday..../02/25/1945471/

#2 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

New Jersey took a real shot to the gut.   There are 3 restaurants in Monmouth county which Deb and I visited with some frequency.  All are still closed.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#3 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

We live in the building next to Bridge Cafe. It sucks. The neighborhood was never better than mediocre, and now it's outright terrible. Can't wait to move away when our lease ends.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#4 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Still waiting for Fema check myself.  I suffered a huge loss and we are still struggling. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#5 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

Still waiting for Fema check myself.  I suffered a huge loss and we are still struggling. 

That sucks, Daniel.  I had dinner with some friends on Saturday night who had the opposite experience as you did with FEMA...perhaps it's because their's was a personal loss as opposed to a business loss?

taion - I understand where you're coming from.  The seaport area had never been a destination for us, but it was always nice to know that a place around since the early settling of NYC (by the white man) could still be a go-to, if only to step foot into that building.

#6 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:00 AM

Bizarrely, Cowgirl Seahorse, which is on the other side of our building from Bridge Cafe, has somehow managed to re-open.

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,328 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:45 AM

Cowgirls are tough.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

The foundation of the building that Bridge Cafe is in was compromised by the storm. It's the only wood-frame building still in existence down there. Perhaps that's why the cowgirl was able to open more quickly...

Thought to have been constructed 1801, this building is the only extant 
wood frame building in the Historic District, despite the fire hazards and * 
building department regulations, a great many frame buildings were allowed to 
stand on the filled lend of Water Street until the 1940s, it was believed that 
the. landfill could not support the wetpht.of brick buildings, so special a'l lowances 
were occasionally made for these lighter wood structures. Owned originally by • 
a grocer, Peter loring, the building was used for commercial purposes until 1888, 
whan it was converted to a three-family dwelling. At this time its peaked roof 
was lowered to the present one. The present exterior dates totally from the I888 
remodeling. A handsome corbeled wood cornice extending along both sides of the 
building crowns.the ground floor, which has been substantially altered since 
1888. The entrance door is recessed at the corner, of the ground floor and an 
elegant fluted cast-iron column supports the walls above. The two upper stories 
are sheathed with novelty siding of the Victorian period, and are enriched by 
finely detailed wood window lintels. The paneled roof cornice is carried on 
small, evenly-spaced grooved brackets,

#9 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

just found out that my ex next door neighbors, who bought a place in tribeca or somewhere and moved out of brooklyn two weeks before the storm, are still out of their new place.... colossally bad timing

man, i need a headache

#10 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:41 PM

Smorgasburg has opened a little beer garden/food stand thing on Front between Beekman and Fulton. It's called Smorgasbar, despite mostly being food, really (there's like 4 beers on tap and a few other miscellaneous beverages from one stand and a bizarre shipping container bar that really looks like it's trying too hard).

Crowd was mostly tourists from out of town. I liked a chicken torta that we had from Fonda. Some of the food from other stands was mediocre. Absolutely fucking fantastic to have this in my neighborhood, though. There's a few overpriced craft vendors, too.

For extra amusement points, Howard Hughes Corp is behind the whole thing. The last movie they'll show in the screen area is, what else, The Aviator.

Because vowels are so last century: http://www.southstreetseaport.com

#11 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

Still waiting for FEMA.  I was told in October it wouldnt be more than a few weeks.  A recent call this week revealed there is someone hard at work on my case.  

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#12 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

Smorgasburg has opened a little beer garden/food stand thing on Front between Beekman and Fulton. It's called Smorgasbar, despite mostly being food, really (there's like 4 beers on tap and a few other miscellaneous beverages from one stand and a bizarre shipping container bar that really looks like it's trying too hard).

Crowd was mostly tourists from out of town. I liked a chicken torta that we had from Fonda. Some of the food from other stands was mediocre. Absolutely fucking fantastic to have this in my neighborhood, though. There's a few overpriced craft vendors, too.

For extra amusement points, Howard Hughes Corp is behind the whole thing. The last movie they'll show in the screen area is, what else, The Aviator.

Because vowels are so last century: http://www.southstreetseaport.com

This weekend was too cold for the hipsters in their flannel shirts to come out. Besides, Robert LaVulva won't have his market going for another month.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#13 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

This weekend was too cold for the hipsters in their flannel shirts to come out. Besides, Robert LaVulva won't have his market going for another month.

Because I am immature I had to Google that name.  It's actually "LaValva" but I like your spelling better.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#14 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,328 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

Especially coming from Suzanne, that misspelling could not have been unintentional.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#15 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

Any color on why the New Amsterdam market is opening so late this year? End of June seems awfully late. From my perspective, Smorgasbar adds a ton more to the neighborhood than the New Amsterdam Market ever did, so my sympathies are leaning way toward HHC over LaValva.