8 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

(spun out of the larger Stuart, Jensen Beach, and Fort Pierce thread)

Another nice early dinner at the Dolphin in Jensen Beach.  The Dolphin is on Indian River Road, maybe two miles south of Jensen Beach town.

They have an early bird dinner for $13 which is a steal.  I had a cup of good lobster bisque, a piece of grilled mahi mahi, and an offer of dessert. Add $6 for a 20 oz glass of Palm. Nice piece of fish, served over red beans and rice. Perfectly cooked.

Watched a storm blow in across the Intracoastal Waterway. It blasted across the wide expanse of water and pounded the (plastic) window screens that had been lowered in advance of the storm. In a few minutes, the storm was over, the sun and a warm breeze had returned, and the windows were furled.

This isn't avant garde cooking by a long shot, but it is popular with families.  Lots of little kids / infants, etc.

Earlier post on Dolphin

http://mouthfulsfood...erce/?p=1179974

Comments on Conchy Joe's restaurant, just north of the Causeway traffic circle

http://mouthfulsfood...erce/?p=1220021

Comments on 11 Maple, a fine dining establishment in Jensen Beach

http://mouthfulsfood... +jensen +beach

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:00 AM

Another nice dinner at Conchy Joe's in Jensen Beach. Substantial piece of tuna, prob 5 - 6 oz. H orseradish topped lightly sauteed piece. Dee had a piece of mahi-mahi, lightly coated in a sweet potato crust.  Market price was $26 today.

Joe's has expanded its beer list considerably. New Belgium's Fat Tire on tap, Modelo Negro on tap, etc.

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:58 PM

Nice lunch at Crawdaddy N'Awlins, a bar restaurant in Jensen Beach. Blues on the sound system, multiple brews on tap.

Philadelphia cheese steak style mahi. I was dubious, but it was pretty good. A piece of grilled mahi, sauteed Portobello mushrooms, sliced red peppers, lots of onions, garlic, hot sauce, served with a little provolone on a roll. Twelve bucks, with a huge scoop of red beans and rice. Soupy, tangy, flecks of andouille. Salty but good.

I was in the area after a meeting, and hoped to visit Pineapple Jack's. But it was closed for Monday. Crawdaddy offers live music on Thursday and Friday, and happy hour after 4.

1949 NE Jensen Beach Blvd

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 02:50 AM

Pineapple Jack's Bistro in Jensen Beach. Nice place, OK food. Mahi sandwich on a good roll. Good fries. Ahi tuna was tired, no taste. Sitting on a forlorn plate with a button of Wasabi and a few pickled ginger. No squiggle of mustard or plate garnish.

Good, attentive service but the place was empty at 1pm. Staff outnumbered customers.

$38 with two beers before tip. I would continue a few doors down the street to Crawdaddy's next time.

I asked our server my usual question about tips versus salary. "These people are good and treat their staff well. But, I'd take the salary and benefits in a heart beat. Especially if I could take my pension to a new job. Yes, I would consider that offer"

#5 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:28 PM

The former Hoffman's Bar (Good German Food) on the causeway circle in Jensen Beach has been torn down. has a new neighbor, blocking it in.   It will be replaced by a multi-story residential building, per a sign on the site.  Nice location, butts up against Conchy Joe's on the north property line. The new building was under construction, but seems to have stopped, as of 10/2017. That's not unusual around here

Lot of development in the area.  One of the big games now is redeveloping 1950s trailer and mobile home parks.  Many of these properties on located on the Indian River lagoon, with their own decrepit docks. Some with five hundred feet of water frontage, and a thousand feet back. As 1950s and 1960s tenants die, their trailers are scrapped. Leaving fewer and fewer occupied slabs. Eventually the property can be declared vacant / converted to high rise development.  Residents of some NYC neighborhoods know how this works.

The area around Conchy Joe's has several of these parks.  I was not surprised to see they look like they've been mostly cleared.  The owners of Joe's have several large parking lots across the street on the land side, so they've got a few acres of prime waterfront...

The Dolphin, mentioned up thread, was once the property of the actress Frances Langford. She and her Evinrude Yachts husband built a military grade docking facility on their huge estate. The large dock area is now surrounded by a very upscale condo community.

Edited by Rail Paul, 18 October 2017 - 02:05 AM.
better info

#6 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:08 PM

Susan Dennis, the new Martin County food reviewer for the TC Palm, has a review of Lures, in Jensen Beach.  It's on Indian River Drive, just north of Mulligan's.  Sounds like a good menu, but she and the Facebook comments suggest that simple is better. (How do you screw up clam chowder, for example? No salt / no spice is one way). 

And, what's with the Philadelphia cheese steak thing in Jensen Beach? Crawdaddy's has one, Pineapple Jack's has one, and these guys have one. Fish isn't good enough?

3330 N.E. Indian River Drive, Jensen Beach

The cheap skates at Gannett, which now owns the TC Palm, apparently only allow one meal for two people at each reviewed place. So, the article becomes more of a drive-by.  Not unlike what's happened at the Bergen NJ Record and the Morristown NJ Daily Record.

http://www.tcpalm.com/story/entertainment/dining/2017/04/19/susan-dennis-friendly-service-delicious-food-lures-riverfront-restaurant/100480274/

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,867 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:09 AM

Hey, EVERYBODY loves a cheese steak.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:41 AM

Susan Dennis, the TC Palm reviewer, describes a wine tasting meal at the Dolphin. Mid-range wines, and an appealing $40 price.  But, some of the choices give me pause.

Our second course was a tuna tartare stack paired with a Rodney Strong Pinot Noir. The notes of pomegranate, orange peel and vanilla from the wine were a nice contrast to the saltiness of the gherkins, capers and beet pickles that enhanced the tuna dish

Trying to match anything with gherkins, capers, and beet pickles would seem to be a fool's errand.

http://www.tcpalm.co...ents/631257001/

#9 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:37 AM

Dinner last night at Conchy Joe's.  Fine place with a jammed bar area ($3 pints and $3 house mixed drinks will do that), but the restaurant section out on the Intracoastal Waterway was very pleasant and quieter. Several $$$ yachts bobbing at anchor, the Jensen Beach causeway lighting up at night, Hutchinson Island across the water.

Prices are up a buck or so, but they've expanded their use of up-charges on various treatments. Want the sweet potato crust on that fresh fish? Add $3. $2 more for horseradish crust. You can add conch chowder and a slice of frozen solid key lime pie for $5, but just for the fresh fish. Not for the salads or sandwiches. And so on.

The fish was very good, as usual.  Dee had the mahi, with the sweet potato crust. Very juicy, almost wet, inside a dry tasty crust. I've got to figure out how they do that. I had a nice piece of wahoo, with panko crust. Good, but not as good as the mahi. Had a Dogfish 60 and some of their excellent, and complimentary corn bread and banana bread. Served with butter and cream sherry.

Once the key lime pie defrosted, it was pretty good.

$80, all in.  Good place, great location, fine food. I don't think it has the fishy inventiveness of Riverwalk in Stuart, but it's probably the best combination of price, location, and food in the JB area.  New England Seafood is another JB fish restaurant, but I've not been pleased there on two or three visits, and taken it off my rotation. They do a lot of wholesale work.

Lures on Indian River Drive may be next, I've heard good things about it. I don't think they have a view, but supposedly they have very good food.

Kyle G's Prime Steak and Seafood has opened in the old Pietro's on the Ocean space. Haven't heard anything directly, but TripAdvisor is all over the map.  50 reviews, many gushing and delighted from people with 1-2 posts. Others more measured. At their prices, there's not going to be a lot of tolerance for problems. I may let the novelty wear off before heading over. Great space, right on the ocean.  Maybe see if they have a happy hour, and happy hour bar menu first.