35 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

So this is how we're now all going to get thin.  All the rage in the UK, apparently.  You fast for two days every week (not too radically, either), then feast and wassail like a Saxon warlord the rest of the time.

Although it's presented as the latest thing, I have a pretty clear recollection that Robert Schonfeld used to do this before he discovered twirling.  Or was it spinning?

#2 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,872 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

sounds better than my diet.  I have been eating 800 calories a day for the last week.  Though, I have lost close to 9 pound in 7 days. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,970 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

I do that same diet, only without the two days of fasting.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

Didn't Fats Goldberg (as told by Calvin Trillian in Alice Let's Eat -- or somewhere in his "Tummy Trilogy") champion this approach as well, decades ago?

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,970 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

Yeah, he did!

Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

His nickname doesn't make me confident of the diet's merits.

#7 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

Apparently, he did become a slimmer version of his "Fats" self, via the fasting diet, as well as by roasting unadorned chickens in his pizza oven. As an aside, Fats may have been a great eater (and dieter), but his pizza was quite disappointing!

#8 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,970 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

But didn't he then have that bistro (with a familiar name) with great roast chicken?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#9 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,004 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

On the other hand, today is National Pound Cake Day.  Enjoy it, if you aren't fasting today.

http://nationaldayca...-hug-a-g-i-day/

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#10 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

Larry "Fats" Goldberg died years ago. Not as a direct result of the diet, though, afaik.

Ahem, I Americanized Mosley's* book for a publisher here. And cut down on the Brit-fashion-journalist gush from Spencer's parts of it. It was fun figuring out the US equivalents of some of the foods on his lists.

It doesn't strike me as quite as crackpot as another "diet" book I worked on around the same time. That one called for making "soup" from something like 1 cup of vegetables and a gallon of water, pureeing the whole thing, and eating only that for three weeks; new batches as you used it up, at least, not only one for the whole time. (Sneak is aware of one of the more disgusting suggestions in it.) Mosley's is more on the order of what I've been doing for a while now, and I do find it works. Would work better if I gave up all alcohol, but something has to make life worth living.

*I never bothered to see if he's related to the Nazi who married one of the Mitford sisters (Jessica?). Some things are better not known. But I did learn that this Mosely seems never to have actually practiced medicine, but has only used his training to be a BBC presenter and producer.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#11 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

Ha, the Oswald Mosley diet.  It's possible.

I think the book should get quite a bit of attention here: I don't suppose you're on royalties?

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,970 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

The Oswald Mosley Diet:  people in the camps lost a lot of weight.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#13 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,816 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

The Oswald Mosley Diet:  people in the camps lost a lot of weight.

you and joan rivers with the holocaust hilarity...

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#14 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,970 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

Did you read that article in the Times last week?  It sounds like they've now discovered there was a facility on just about every block.  You can either laugh or you can cry.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#15 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,970 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

Actually, I think that Joan Rivers joke was horribly tasteless and unfair.

Heidi Klum has no responsibity for, nor anything to do with, the Holocaust.

As far as current people go, let it go, ya know?

Bar Loser

MF Old