1408 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,855 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

Rather than report on Carbone after it opens, the Times decided to worship it in advance.

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,532 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

I have their slogan for them:  "Carbone Not Glue"

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

It actually might be good.  Why not?  You don't need to Ripert or Liebrandt to cook this stuff well.

I have the good fortune to be able to regularly eat at Tuzzio's in Long Branch.  It is the Jurassic Park of Italian American restaurants, something that has survived virtually unchanged since the 1950s.  They did some tacky redecorating in the 1970s but that's part of the charm.

Tuzzios-Bar-Long-Branch-300x225.jpg..Tuzzios-Long-Branch-inside-300x224.jpg

The menu is old school and really very good.  No need to reinvent chicken parm or veal marsala.  They make it the way they've always done it.  And the prices are ridiculously low.  I sometimes go 6 or 7 months without visiting this place and when I come back I always kick myself for waiting that long.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#4 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,855 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

It might be very good, but I find it strange that the Times publishes an ode to it before it even opens.

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,532 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

I'm actually very much looking forward to it.

(If I can ever get in.  Which I can't.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,532 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

And, not that I mind, but we all know it won't be cheap.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#7 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

It might be very good, but I find it strange that the Times publishes an ode to it before it even opens.

It was a preview piece, one of zillions the paper has published over the years (not just of restaurants, but of other things that eventually get reviewed). A preview is no assurance of a good review.

Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#8 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Where are the red and white checked tablecloths and the dripping candles in Chianti fiasci if this is supposed to be downtown 1958?

#9 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,855 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

It was a preview piece, one of zillions the paper has published over the years (not just of restaurants, but of other things that eventually get reviewed). A preview is no assurance of a good review.

No, but it's an assurance of a good preview.

#10 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:33 AM

And, not that I mind, but we all know it won't be cheap.

I'm looking forward to it too, but I know I'm going to balk at the prices.  What if someone opened a throwback Cantonese restaurant and charged $30 for a plate of General Tso's Chicken?  How would that go over?

Man about town.

#11 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:35 AM

I'm looking forward to it too, but I know I'm going to balk at the prices.  What if someone opened a throwback Cantonese restaurant and charged $30 for a plate of General Tso's Chicken?  How would that go over?

I think it's already been done — more than once (Philippe, etc.).

Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,532 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:35 AM

How would serving General Tso's Chicken in a Cantonese restaurant go over?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#13 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,532 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:36 AM

Thing is, "red sauce" doesn't necessarily mean cheap.  They say they've been doing "research" at Il Mulino.  I'll bet Carbone charges significantly less than that place does.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#14 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

How would serving General Tso's Chicken in a Cantonese restaurant go over?

I meant as in a throwback Americanized restaurant.

Man about town.

#15 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,904 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:03 AM

The thing is, all the dishes in the slide show are so NOT 1958 red sauce. So the food blows the whole retro premise. Not saying it will be bad; just that the one element you'd hope would be an improved-yet-faithful homage to the period is possibly-improved-but-pretty-much-unfaithful.

If they do anything like the garlic with green beans with garlic that Rocco did, I could be happy. Also if they lose our charge slip so we never have to pay for the meal, as happened at Rocco many years ago.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table