1412 replies to this topic

#31 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

Yes, but Au Pied de Cochon and, even, Mission Chinese. 

No one has to make Sichuan food "safe" for insecure people.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#32 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

Red sauce is one of those food phrases that ought to be banned, as it says so very little.

Maybe in NY but not in most neighborhood spots.

We've got at least 5 original versions of what they're trying to replicate - all of them making the same dishes with a little nuance by the family roots .

But this old school style is really about what happens around the table as much as the food. Every Italian friend I have knows who makes the best sauce - his mother. If they can replicate the generosity of spirit and hospitality that most good old school places have? Then they'll be successful - but if it's contrived? Then it's just another version of Joey & Maria's Comedy Wedding.

Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton

#33 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,575 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

The trick will be if they can pull off a Minetta Tavern, from atmosphere to food.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#34 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,724 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

isn't this the same as the torissi food that's a couple years old now?  or is this supposed to be closer to the original food?

(not saying that there shouldn't be a 30 page thread on something that's already been worked through at length.)

#35 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,874 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

ETA: Chicken Scarpiello and Lobster pasta are pretty "classic fancy red sauce Italian" 

Yup.

I'm sure you can MCF or APDC this cuisine like any other. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#36 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,009 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

But this old school style is really about what happens around the table as much as the food. Every Italian friend I have knows who makes the best sauce - his mother. If they can replicate the generosity of spirit and hospitality that most good old school places have? Then they'll be successful - but if it's contrived? Then it's just another version of Joey & Maria's Comedy Wedding.

Of course, this is why Red Sauce gets so little respect.  Its appeal is based on so many bullshitish non-food factors ("mother", "generosity", "hospitality") that the food seems secondary (and too often isn't very good).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#37 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,009 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

ETA: Chicken Scarpiello and Lobster pasta are pretty "classic fancy red sauce Italian" 

Yup.

I'm sure you can MCF or APDC this cuisine like any other. 

I know Aaron already said this, but isn't Torrisi the MCFing of this cuisine?

Isn't this place being presented as something more self-consciously classic?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#38 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,874 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

No, Torrisi is, or was at various points in time about the neighborhood and multiple other non Ital-Am concepts... there was a lot of Chinese/Jewish/whatever nonsense going on, although currently I think it's more straightforward Italian.

Look at the current menu:

http://www.torrisiny...orrisimenu9.pdf

Mozz with evoo, boar's head sandwich (ha, ha, they be so clever), sheep milk gnocchi with chestnut ragu... not really Ital-Am focused at all. 

("mother", "generosity", "hospitality")

Making large quantities of cheap garbage palatable to children. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#39 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,129 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

Mm, that's more expensive than the five course tasting at Louro, isn't it?  Funny old world.

#40 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

Of course, this is why Red Sauce gets so little respect.  Its appeal is based on so many bullshitish non-food factors ("mother", "generosity", "hospitality") that the food seems secondary (and too often isn't very good).

I guess what I forgot to infer was that the red sauce at these places is, for the most part, really good. We're talking home grown tomatoes (which they preserve for the off season) basil from the garden, garlic from the garden, and local pork, house made sausage, etc.

Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton

#41 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,009 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

Oh, sure.  But that stuff is what people say even about the bad places.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#42 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:08 AM

The early word.

Man about town.

#43 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,129 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

decor: dark, swanky. think of a combination of minetta tavern and striphouse. lots of dark walls, dark banquettes. only the white tiles are bright.

Sounds like Baldoria.

in their desire to be "authentic," they seem to have hired waiters whose first language is italian

Not Long Island, New Jersey?

the items really aren't surprising if you have ever been to a place like don peppe's or roberta's

I think you might mean Roberto's.  :blink:

From the food descriptions, it's impossible to tell whether this would be better, the same as, or worse than somewhere like Queen or Roberto's.

#44 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,479 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

It sounds like it'll be a lot more expensive, however.

That little nibble they give you is also exactly what you get at Parkside - except it's prosciutto bread!

#45 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,724 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

I bet the portions are smaller than they are at queen.