1408 replies to this topic

#1396 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,757 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:51 PM

Daniel's write up really underlines why I haven't been to Carbone. I can enjoy an unjustifiable splurge, but I'm always going to prefer wasting money on the kind of food served at Le Cirque or indeed Cafe Boulud than on the dishes Daniel describes.

#1397 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,392 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:52 PM

Regional differences. In Europe scampi are not shrimp; they're a kind (maybe more than one kind) of langoustine. I don't know if standards have declined, but back when I lived there it was considered a rip-off to try to pass off shrimp as scampi.

In the States, I understand "scampi" to be a style of shrimp dish. Whether it used to be made with something other than shrimp I don't know. The style may derive from the Italian way of serving actual scampi, but I am guessing.

Exactly.  In Italy, scampi means langoustines.  In America, a dish arose with the nonsensical name "Shrimp Scampi", which turned out to mean shrimp prepared in the style in which langoustines are often served in Italy.

The joke at Carbone with "Scampi a la Scampi" was that they were actually serving scampi prepared in the style of scampi.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#1398 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,392 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:53 PM

Daniel's write up really underlines why I haven't been to Carbone. I can enjoy an unjustifiable splurge, but I'm always going to prefer wasting money on the kind of food served at Le Cirque or indeed Cafe Boulud than on the dishes Daniel describes.

Right.  Carbone only works if you love Red Sauce to begin with (but now that you're a grown-up, wish it were actually as good as you remember it from younger days).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#1399 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,757 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:54 PM

There you go. In the UK it means langoustines, but of course we batter and deep fry them.

#1400 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,392 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:03 PM

I think that what can't be forgotten under all this is that you're not going to get the familiar dish of pork chops with peppers anywhere near as good as what they serve at Carbone in any other Red Sauce restaurant in New York.  The most famous iteration of this dish -- at Two Toms in Gawanus, Brooklyn -- is actually fairly awful.

Of course, you have to actually like dishes like pork chops with peppers in order to appreciate this.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#1401 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,004 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:06 PM

Right.  The joke kind of loses its point if you're not serving scampi.

I don't think that is right. I thought scampi was either large shrimp or prawns with the butter and garlic treatment.

Calling something "Shrimp Scampi" is redundant.

no, scampi are Venetian langoustines.  gamberetti are shrimp.  the misidentification of scampi with shrimp comes from the fact that langoustines basically were unheard of in the U.S. until very recently

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#1402 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,004 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:07 PM

Regional differences. In Europe scampi are not shrimp; they're a kind (maybe more than one kind) of langoustine. I don't know if standards have declined, but back when I lived there it was considered a rip-off to try to pass off shrimp as scampi.

In the States, I understand "scampi" to be a style of shrimp dish. Whether it used to be made with something other than shrimp I don't know. The style may derive from the Italian way of serving actual scampi, but I am guessing.

Exactly.  In Italy, scampi means langoustines.  In America, a dish arose with the nonsensical name "Shrimp Scampi", which turned out to mean shrimp prepared in the style in which langoustines are often served in Italy.

The joke at Carbone with "Scampi a la Scampi" was that they were actually serving scampi prepared in the style of scampi.

yup

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#1403 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,802 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:08 AM

Apparently there are two dishes. One dish contains langoustines one dish has shrimp from MAdagascar. The dish we received, is intentionally on the menu.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#1404 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,757 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:44 PM

Nathan's comment has historical resonance.  I have a source where a writer sneers at Dublin Bay prawns being offered instead of Adriatic langoustines.  Wikipedia and other sources now lump them together as scampi..

#1405 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,392 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:03 PM

Apparently there are two dishes. One dish contains langoustines one dish has shrimp from MAdagascar. The dish we received, is intentionally on the menu.

Ah.  Cuz we asked for the tomato sauce rather than the garlic/butter sauce.

I thought they were good shrimp (if expensive as hell).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#1406 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,625 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:49 PM

Of course in Spain, langostinos are some types of shrimp (all related to tiger prawn), while cigalas are langoustines. But Carbone, like all other restaurants of that group, is a cynical fuck you place that shouldn't be supported.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#1407 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,392 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:53 PM

But they're cynical fuck-you places that really deliver.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#1408 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,558 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 07:08 PM

Just curious - still open?

#1409 Sneakeater

Sneakeater