10 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,034 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

Going to Mayfield last night reminded me that I'd been meaning to write up a place that's diagonally across the street from it (on the corner of Franklin and Prospect), which I came upon when I was walking to David's Brisket House a little while ago.

This place looks like an Old Skool local pizza joint that's been there forever.  The kind with pizza, rice balls, heroes, pasta plates.

But it's new.  It's run by hipsters.  You walk in and you get hit with a blast of Grateful Dead.

And -- here's the charm of it -- like any hipster/NBC place, they list their purveyors on the bottom of their menu.  But instead of the new-age locavore regulars, their list namechecks all the best classic Italian purveyors of Brooklyn.  So these guys are paying attention to ingredients, and using nothing but the best -- but they're still kicking it Old Skool.  Or, to put it differently, "paying tribute to classic Italian-American cooking" in an honest way.

Since I was on my way to David's, I could only try a slice.  (Yes, I was so intrigued that I had a slice on my way to David's.  Yes, I'm an idiot.)  It was very good.  Not great or spectacular:  as good as Joe's in the Village, just discussed here in detail.  Meaning, good NYC slice pizza -- not as easy to find as it used to be.

What I want to try, however, are the heroes and the rice balls and maybe even the pastas.  I have a very strong suspicion that this is a stealth place serving versions of this food done markedly better than it's usually done anymore.  Another of the more intelligent versions of the NBC Elevation Of The Vernacular -- this time with a particularly intelligent approach to sourcing.

I wonder if they deliver to Plaza Street?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,133 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

this sounds promising.

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,034 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

Let me tell you more about the circumstances of my checking it out.

So I'm walking over to David's and I pass this place that, as I said, looks just like an Old Skool Brooklyn slices-plus joint that had been there forever.  Except I didn't remember its being there.  I've been living in this neighborhood for nearly 30 years, and it just sort of irked me that I could have missed a place like this all that time.

So I stopped in to take a look.  It had the old-style menu board, old-style tables and chairs, etc.

BUT, as I said, as soon as I walked through the door, I got hit with the Dead.  Clue no. 1.

I looked behind the counter and saw a full-fledged member of the neo-hippy division of the hipster army.  Clue no. 2.

I looked at the (paper handout) menu, and saw (a) slightly higher prices than I'd been expecting and (b) a list of purveyors at the bottom.  Clues nos. 3 & 4.

But, as I said, when I read the list of purveyors, I was charmed.

I hope this place is really good.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,184 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

So, like, what kind of flour are they using?

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,034 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

Has King Arthur been superseded yet?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,184 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

Well, I don't think so, at least in the US. And they make a pizza blend...http://www.kingarthu...izza-blend-3-lb

#7 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,746 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

For your reading pleasure (if you havent already done so).

http://slice.serious...a-brooklyn.html

This space available… contact owner.

#8 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,133 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

I checked this out on the way home from the children's museum yesterday, and it's more or less exactly what sneakeater say it is.  I tried a bacon and onion slice and took home a pepperoni pie, and both were much better than the typical nyc slice but not really at the level of a place like lucali.  the crust was good, but had no char at all, and the pepperoni had a lot more flavor than the standard stuff.

I didn't notice the list of composed pies on the chalkboard to the left of the counter until after I'd ordered, but most of them looked good and had ingredients that weren't listed on the regular menu.  there's only one pasta on the regular menu but the guy said they had a lasagna special.

so not worth too much travel, I'm outside the delivery zone, but I'm happy that it's somewhere I go through semi regularly and I'd gladly trade it for speedy romeo.

I'll probably get the cheesesteak next time we go to the children's museum.

#9 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

sounds similar to best pizza, except best is wood-fired.  but it's ny-style, not neapolitan.  though they do use caputo flour.  great slices (regular and square) and sandwiches (italian combo and meatball).

Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,034 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:06 PM

Closed

Bar Loser

MF Old