33 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

Morristown Record reports on a new restaurant proposal in the Vail Mansion.  This huge Golden era marble building has been the town hall, police HQ, and "front door" for a luxury apartment project.  Now it may become a restaurant named after the nearby Jockey Hollow historic site.

The vote is expected to come at a meeting Tuesday, but in the meantime, Cannon’s plans are continuing to crystalize. The restaurant, which will take advantage of the mansion’s spacious, historic interior, will have a casual dining component to it, with an oyster/wine bar and cocktail lounge downstairs, and a fine-dining space upstairs that will feature a dining experience that Cannon said will make diners say “Wow,” both when they taste the food and when they get the check.

“The ultimate restaurant experience you can give people is amazing, quality food they love, and after the meal the check is less than they expected,” said Cannon. It’s hard to imagine anything more staggering than a restaurant check at the end of the fine dining experience in New York City, and that’s exactly what Cannon is capitalizing on with his new venture.

“The rent is a tenth of what it is in Manhattan, so I can give people great food and charge less for it,” he said. “My idea is not to draw diners away from other restaurants in Morristown, I want to draw people out of Manhattan. I want people to realize they don’t have to pay the tolls, and deal with parking, and the huge tab that are all part of eating out in New York — they can have a much better experience right here in New Jersey.”

Cannon’s bluntness about running a business in New York stems from years of experience. Born in Manhattan, he’s owned restaurants in the city since 1979. Cannon’s restaurants include Alto, Convivio, Osteria Morini and Ai Fiori in Manhattan, and Due Mari and Due Terre, both in New Jersey.

http://www.dailyreco...able-restaurant

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

More info:

the Jockey Hollow Bar & Kitchen in Morristown, NJ, housed in a 15,000 sq ft landmark building. It’ll feature an oyster bar, where Chris will serve up Jersey Shore oysters; they’re from the 40 North oyster farm in which he invested in post Hurricane Sandy devastation

http://www.heritager...18-Chris-Cannon

#3 Rosie

Rosie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:51 PM

Some info here: http://njmonthly.com...urant-news.html

Rosie Saferstein
Table Hopping With Rosie
New Jersey Monthly
www.njmonthly.com
Member of IACP, AFJ, and The James Beard Foundation

#4 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

And some info here...

http://ny.eater.com/...he_heals_of.php

#5 Meredith380

Meredith380

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:18 AM

I keep waiting for further information, yet it seems they may be delayed, likely due to the site being a historic one.

#6 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

Rosie reports on Chris Cannon's appointment of a new chef, and arrangements with gourmet suppliers.

Looks like there's a lot of activity around this project...

http://njmonthly.com...chef-named.html

#7 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:52 AM

The publicity machine is rolling right along.  NY Times offers a sympathetic view of the new project, and pictures of the considerable work done in and around the Vail Mansion.  It's a gorgeous piece of property and interior, a forest of marble.

The article is more about the personal redemption of Chris Cannon, and the treachery of Michael White / Ahmass Fakhamy, but it's a good read.  September 18 seems to be the GO date as of now. With 300 seats and 120 employees, I hope they have parking arrangements worked out. When something is happening at the next door Mayo Center, things can get tight...

For three years, his dream consumed him. He gathered a group of investors from the area; he devoted months to navigating a legal labyrinth and landing a liquor license. He and his team spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to clean out and spruce up room after room of the dust-gathering palazzo, aiming to create not one restaurant but four, with farm-to-table Italian cuisine upstairs, two separate bars on the ground floor and a sausage-and-beer-serving rathskeller for special events in the basement.

You want ambitious? Jockey Hollow, which plans to host a charity event on Sept. 18 and open later in the month, will have a total of 300 seats and 120 employees. The cost? Somewhere around $5 million.

“The building is so amazing, you can’t really cut corners,” Mr. Cannon said. “You either do it right or you don’t do it at all.” Then again, getting it done is cheaper outside the Darwinian rent jungle of Manhattan. “The fact of the matter is that Manhattan has become so absurdly expensive in terms of real estate that it’s almost impossible to make a profit,” Mr. Cannon said. His rent is $20,000 a month. “In New York that would be for a pizzeria on the Bowery.”

http://www.nytimes.c...html?ref=dining

#8 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:44 AM

Rosie has a number of interior pictures on her blog.  The place looks gorgeous.  I had occasion to visit the building a few times when it was the Morristown Town Hall and Police Department, and again when it hosted a Mansion in May event.  Grime on the acres of marble was my lasting recollection.  That's been expunged.

Another treat is discovering pastry chef Erica Leahy is on staff.  She has created wonderful desserts over the years.

http://njmonthly.com...d-closings.html

#9 Meredith380

Meredith380

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:25 AM

It's getting kinda slammed on yelp, not that that means a lot, but still. There was a review about a $100 up charge for shaved truffles on a pasta dish that wasn't disclosed until the bill came.

#10 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:47 PM

Article with photos about Jockey Hollow by Adam Robb on The Village Voice's blog. (Not a review)

#11 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:10 PM

Nice review from Cody Kendall in the Ledger. Three point five.

I like the idea of having the menu and specials on an iPad. Easy to make changes, see the prices, get more info as needed, etc.

Silky chicken liver terrine ($12), to be spread on rye crackers, topped with mellow cabbage mustard, will spoil forever someone who has experienced only classic chopped chicken liver.

You'll see a number of unfamiliar words like that one on the menu, but don't worry, your server will explain.

Monkfish confit ($28) is a study in contrasts with n'duja, a spicy sausage. You'll see a number of unfamiliar words like that one on the menu, but don't worry, your server will explain.

http://www.nj.com/fo...ml#incart_river

#12 Meredith380

Meredith380

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:02 AM

The online reviews keep getting poorer. The issues with improper valet drivers and shuttle service have me flabbergasted. The service seems to be the biggest complaint. I just moved back to Morris Township after having been raised there and it holds zero interest for me, other than perhaps seeing the renovation of the Vail mansion.

#13 Meredith380

Meredith380

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:06 AM

I like the idea of having the menu and specials on an iPad. Easy to make changes, see the prices, get more info as needed, etc.

Silky chicken liver terrine ($12), to be spread on rye crackers, topped with mellow cabbage mustard, will spoil forever someone who has experienced only classic chopped chicken liver.
You'll see a number of unfamiliar words like that one on the menu, but don't worry, your server will explain.
Monkfish confit ($28) is a study in contrasts with n'duja, a spicy sausage. You'll see a number of unfamiliar words like that one on the menu, but don't worry, your server will explain.

Have you been to Terminal C at EWR lately? Those iPads are a huge mistake. Perhaps they work at Jockey Hollow but I have sincere doubts about it.

And $10 for valet? Really? Please.

#14 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:57 PM

Have you been to Terminal C at EWR lately? Those iPads are a huge mistake. Perhaps they work at Jockey Hollow but I have sincere doubts about it.

And $10 for valet? Really? Please.

I hadn't seen this comment before.

I've used the iPads in several places, and they can be effectively deployed if the house knows what it's doing.  On the Celebrity Eclipse, an iPad was used to present the menu for their Qsine dining room. Largely avant garde tapas and smaller platings of various things. You can select the order in which you want your plates delivered. If you have question about gluten or ingredients, you can tab through to the page underneath each item.  I thought it was well presented.

Back to the Jockey Hollow, I notice both the dining room and the oyster bar have  thousand point incentives on Open Table if you're willing to dine up to 5.30 or at 8.30 and later.

• Sun 5:00PM-5:30PM 8:30PM-9:30PM
  • Tue-Thu 5:00PM-5:30PM 8:30PM-9:30PM

#15 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:01 PM

Back to the Jockey Hollow, I notice both the dining room and the oyster bar have  thousand point incentives on Open Table if you're willing to dine up to 5.30 or at 8.30 and later.

• Sun 5:00PM-5:30PM 8:30PM-9:30PM
  • Tue-Thu 5:00PM-5:30PM 8:30PM-9:30PM

I just looked and didn't see any.