18 replies to this topic

#1 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

I've wanted to learn to can for years. I have all the equipment, books and have watched videos. I just have this huge fear thing going. I'm so afraid I'll poison someone or burn myself badly.

Last year I talked to our CSA farmers about it and she gave me lots of advice. I tried to talk her into a class. Well, I just got an email and in conjunction with the K-State Research and Extension Office, she is holding a class for CSA members in a week or two. Yippee!!

I know this seems silly to those who grew up with mothers and grandmothers who canned and passed along the know-how, but I never had any family that did, so just never learned. I'm so excited!

Deb
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

#2 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

What are you going to can?

Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,989 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

The world reacts to Maison Rustique's announcement:

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

What are you going to can?

We have an opportunity (also through the CSA) to pick strawberries at a neighboring farm. She's suggesting we do that and use those. I haven't really decided yet, as this opportunity just arose.

Deb

#5 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

For strawberries, I'd make sun preserves and then do a quick waterbath to get a seal on the jars.  It's been a few years since I've done this but I am nearly positive that I used GGMora's description on her (old) blog. 

Tomatoes are fun but take a commitment.  The CSAs that I have used always offered a good deal on bulk tomatoes at harvest time to those members who wanted to can.  For me it takes a good long day to process a bushel of tomatoes.  A bushel doesn't make it through the winter for us but it is still nice to use our own product when we are able.

Pickles (cucumbers) are another good one to try.  Really easy.

#6 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,689 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

i make jams and water-bath process them. loads of tomato sauce and salsa too, but for those it's much easier to ladle into quart-sized freezer bags and freeze them in (relatively) flat stacks.

stove-top strawberry jam/preserves is easy and with just a bit of lemon juice you can protect it against spoilage very easily. i barely pay attention to what i am doing anymore and i am yet to make anyone ill.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#7 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,004 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#8 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:56 PM

Oh, yes! Cukes!! Now see--not knowing that tomatoes are more difficult/more time consuming is a big part of what I don't know.

Suzi Quatro! I'd completely forgotten about her!! I can't seem to get past the T-Mobile ad on YouTube, but do remember it!

Deb

#9 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,436 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:01 AM

I remember thinking that canning looked so difficult and I was terrified that I would kill people, but once you get the hang of it you realize that it's not hard. And if it doesn't set say you made "sauce."
Future Legacy Participant.

#10 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:06 AM

I remember thinking that canning looked so difficult and I was terrified that I would kill people, but once you get the hang of it you realize that it's not hard. And if it doesn't set say you made "sauce."

Thanks--it's nice to know I'm not alone!

Deb

#11 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:00 AM

It's actually very easy if you have good equipment (mainly a pair of tongs for lifting jars, and a rack to hold the cans in the pot).

A few years ago, I took a canning workshop at a conference. We canned beets and I forget what else. The instructor wasn't very good, so we ran out of time while processing the jars. People who couldn't take them home (a quart jar of beets? Um, not easy to take on a plane) could donate them. I never heard that anyone got hurt, but promise me that you'll follow instructions for processing the full time necessary. (Or if you can't, refrigerate whatever you process.) I can be fairly reckless in the kitchen, but not with canning and storage.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#12 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:27 AM

I think it's worth getting a canning book if only to easily refer to the processing time. Be advised that they all have very dire warnings about pathogens.

#13 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,873 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:46 AM

I like your can do attitude. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#14 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,816 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:02 AM

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#15 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:05 AM

Yes, I promise about the processing time. I have the Ball book--actually I bought a whole kit 2 years ago, so have the big pot, rack, lifters, jars, etc. Don will be thrilled that I am actually getting it all out of the garage and using it! :P

Deb