Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

Many Injured in Explosions at Boston Marathon

By KEN BELSON and MARY PILON

A series of explosions were reported near the finish line at the Boston Marathon on Monday, according to several media outlets. One report quoted “some sort of incident” on Boylston Street, near the finish line.

Competitors and race organizers were crying as they fled the chaos, The Associated Press reported. Bloody spectators were being carried to the medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners.

“There are a lot of people down,” said one man, according to The A.P., whose bib No. 17528 identified him as Frank Deruyter of North Carolina. He was not injured, but marathon workers were carrying one woman, who did not appear to be a runner, to the medical area as blood gushed from her leg. A Boston police officer was wheeled from the course with a leg injury that was bleeding, The A.P. said.

The Boston Police Department confirmed that they were looking into an explosion, but had no further comment.

Local television also showed ambulances at the scene.

The headquarters for the organizers of the marathon, one of the world’s oldest, was reportedly locked down while authorities investigate.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#2 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,797 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

craZy. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#3 theclash

theclash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

Confused news reports right now but the police possibly found and exploded a third device. Latest report 22 injured, 2 dead

#4 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

red cross registry for anyone trying to locate friends and family in boston

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#5 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,745 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

Was watching live TV coverage, and nobody seems to know nothing.  Guesses at maybe 3 dead.  But who knows?

#6 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

the boston police commissioner is now reporting that a bomb also went off at the jfk library.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#7 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

The JFK library explosion appears to be unrelated. An issue with some electrical equipment.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#8 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,745 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

Twitter is not being helpful right now.  There is some on-the-spot reporting, but it's drowned out by everyone in the world needing to tweet their concern and best wishes (plus people tweeting everyone to stop doing that).  Mess..

#9 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:15 PM

Cell phone service has been shut down in the Boston area, in case of another remote explosion.

[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#10 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:04 PM

there are reports than one of the dead is an 8-year old child, and several of the injured are also children.

an 8-year old. i just don't understand. 

#11 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

Assholes. They are everywhere.

[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#12 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,414 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:07 AM

A friend of mine was running Boston today. I proceeded to get a phone call from one of her coworkers wanting to know if I had any way of either reaching her or her daughter as everyone was concerned she was ok. Turns out she was about 5 minutes behind the explosions. Said for the first time she was happy that she was running so slowly.
Future Legacy Participant.

#13 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:10 AM

terrorist assholes (that wasn't political, was it?)

#14 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

Sadly, the world is becoming a smaller and darker place.

Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton

#15 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,745 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

Another way of looking at it is that the United States is beginning, still in quite a small way, to resemble the rest of the world.