#196 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

Back to the bombers.

I watched a news report over the weekend which said that the FBI found no evidence of bomb making equipment in the brother's apartment.  At the very least they want to know where the bombs were made.  It also opens up the possibility that someone else made them.

Well, three more folks are under scrutiny as we speak.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#197 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

[POLITICAL POST DELETED]

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#198 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:58 PM

Which brother?  Aparently there were fireworks emptied of black powder in Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's dorm room. 

Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#199 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

Which brother?  Aparently there were fireworks emptied of black powder in Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's dorm room. 

That information wasn't in the report I watched.  I think there may be more information will surface in the weeks ahead.

Right after the 2nd brother was captured the FBI and civil authorities were in a rush to reassure the public and might have overstated things.  "We've wrapped this up.  Only 2 people were involved.  Nothing to see here ... move along."

It would be great if that was true. 

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#200 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,812 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

[POLITICAL POST DELETED]

torture isn't necessarily political or even religious, some people even pay good money for it, just for the pure pleasure

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#201 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

Back to the bombers.

I watched a news report over the weekend which said that the FBI found no evidence of bomb making equipment in the brother's apartment.  At the very least they want to know where the bombs were made.  It also opens up the possibility that someone else made them.

I don't think they were very fancy.  Basically big pipe bombs.  Which were totally within my scope when I was in 8th grade.  Need to get a lot of black powder, but you can make that too.

#202 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,801 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

Hey let's not be incriminating ourselves here.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#203 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,792 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:16 AM

That information wasn't in the report I watched.  I think there may be more information will surface in the weeks ahead.

Right after the 2nd brother was captured the FBI and civil authorities were in a rush to reassure the public and might have overstated things.  "We've wrapped this up.  Only 2 people were involved.  Nothing to see here ... move along."

Still no saving this one. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#204 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:29 AM

Hey let's not be incriminating ourselves here.

Top o' the world, Ma!

#205 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:15 AM

Still no saving this one. 

Still not trying.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#206 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:17 AM

NPR mentioned this morning that the charges against the three friends relate to

-- after the explosions, disposing of fireworks components minus black powder

-- disposing of a computer used by the younger brother for messages etc

-- lying to the FBI about what they had done

There's no discussion that any of the three had a role in the planning or execution of the actions.  Accessory after the fact and lying to the FBI probably won't get them a one way ticket to Gitmo, but they could get a decent amount of time in the slammer.  Or an opportunity to tell what they know with a sword against their necks...

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#207 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:24 AM

There's no discussion that any of the three had a role in the planning or execution of the actions.  Accessory after the fact and lying to the FBI probably won't get them a one way ticket to Gitmo, but they could get a decent amount of time in the slammer.  Or an opportunity to tell what they know with a sword against their necks...

Maddow said last night that they gave up the laptop to the FBI.  Two told the truth.  Only 1 lied.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#208 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:36 AM

Maddow said last night that they gave up the laptop to the FBI.  Two told the truth.  Only 1 lied.

Perhaps NPR's report this morning was in error.

That report seemed pretty clear that the backpack with the fireworks and the computer were found in a landfill.  Where at least one of them directed the FBI to search.

The three students continue to be held by the FBI.  NPR said they've been charged with obstruction.

#209 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:32 AM

Perhaps NPR's report this morning was in error.

That report seemed pretty clear that the backpack with the fireworks and the computer were found in a landfill.  Where at least one of them directed the FBI to search.

The three students continue to be held by the FBI.  NPR said they've been charged with obstruction.

With multiple off the record sources giving interviews to various news organizations, we'll probably see many varying inside sources in conflict with each other.  For months.

#210 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

Interesting program on Nova last night about the investigative work and the technology used in the Boston Marathon Bombing case.

I had no idea that NYPD had such an advanced surveillance system.  The amount of data they collect and analyze is incredible.  They were less clear about its effectiveness.

Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.