216 replies to this topic

#211 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,200 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

We're probably not far from the day when someone will have the idea of going back and solving many crimes by playing back years of video, cell phone and credit card data, metrocard swipes, etc. through better analysis software. 

In fact I'm pretty sure that's already going on in national security environments.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#212 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

The father of the Chechen born student killed during an FBI interrogation claims the son was shot in the back of the head.

The incoming director of the FBI has his work cut out for him.

In an apparently unrelated note, former general David Petraeus has accepted a position heading up a global intelligence unit for KKR, the investment firm.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#213 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

One thing that was mention is how outdated the database tools are for the terrorist watch lists.  Apparently when the elder Tsarnaev returned from his most recent overseas travel he should have been interviewed by the FBI because he was on the watch list.  But his name was misspelled on some document and his return to the US was never flagged.

One person interviewed made mention that google and other search engines find spelling errors and suggest alternative spellings in their searches.

Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#214 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

One thing that was mention is how outdated the database tools are for the terrorist watch lists.  Apparently when the elder Tsarnaev returned from his most recent overseas travel he should have been interviewed by the FBI because he was on the watch list.  But his name was misspelled on some document and his return to the US was never flagged.

One person interviewed made mention that google and other search engines find spelling errors and suggest alternative spellings in their searches.

One of my friends has the same name and similar birth date but different birth country as an IRA activist. Even with a redress letter, he is pulled aside and double searched each time he flies.

My friend tried to get a Global Entry tag, but was declined since he's on a No Fly list. Or not. 

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#215 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,200 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

That sounds unlikely as that type of database is invariably soundexed (because terrorists have weird names in weird languages). Of course someone could have made a mistake.

#216 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:42 AM

One of my friends has the same name and similar birth date but different birth country as an IRA activist. 

Used to get me a long interview every time I entered the UK in the old days.  I guess it didn't enter their heads that the asshole they had in mind might have changed more than a couple of letters if he was going to change his name.  

#217 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,200 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:47 PM

In fact I'm pretty sure that's already going on in national security environments.

I guess so.  :D

http://www.nytimes.c...ce.html?hp&_r=0