Photo

Amazon Direct - groceries, meat, fish, etc? anybody used it?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

Just a heads up to PNW members there's a conversation going on about Amazon's plans to expand its grocery, fish, meat, etc delivery business to Los Angeles, Northern California, etc. It has been test marketed in Seattle area for several years.

Has anybody in the PNW membership tried it, or have experience with it that they'd like to discuss in the In The Shops forum?

Thanks

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#2 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,605 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

And you'll be disappointed to learn that the consensus is that Amazon will soon monopolize the grocery market in the PNW.  Or go bankrupt.  

#3 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:55 AM

They're more likely to go bankrupt if those are the only 2 choices.  the minimum order cost is too high for a lot of people to bother with, and many people can't preplan their groceries enough to wait for delivery...

A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#4 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

People who are serious about food also dislike how it takes away the ability to select your own produce and meats.  I'm not ordering a piece of fish blind and I don't want to have some warehouse worker decide which head of lettuce I get.

It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#5 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

A number of us said the same thing when this topic was first raised on another thread.

I don't think this service is for people like us although I could see how I might use it for boxed goods, juices, milk, etc.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#6 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,239 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

Having used Fresh Direct, I have no problem letting them select produce for me.  The quality has always been high.  If you're talking about going to a local farm and pulling stuff out of the ground, that's different--but if you're making a fair comparison with quality supermarkets, FD does very well.

See, they can't put rubbish on the virtual "shelf" because people will ask for a refund.

Fresh fish seems to me to be about the hardest test.  If you trust the service for everything else, that's hardly a deal breaker.

#7 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

I'll post here too.

If you order $300 or more a month you get "Big Radish Status" which means you get free delivery on orders of $50 or more. Without Big Radish Status delivery runs $9.99 for orders less than $100. They routinely offer Amazon Local deals where you get a voucher for Big Radish Status. I get those as often as I can.

The have a section called Seattle Spotlight, which delivers select items from local stores and restaurants. Stores like Ken's Market, DeLaurenti's, World Spice, Pike Place Fish Market, etc. Restaurants include Samurai Noodle, La Spiga, Daniel's Broiler, Cafe Lago and Pike Place chowder.

I have ordered chicken from Ken's Market, tons of stuff from DeLaurenti's and World Spice, ramen from Samurai, etc. I've not tried ordering fish or meat though. I've ordered some fruit (apples and citrus mainly) and lettuce once or twice. All have been great. I wouldn't order anything other than those things though. What I order mostly is dairy, peanut butter, bread and that type of thing. Stuff that is the same no matter where you buy it. I've been very happy with the service.

Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM