776 replies to this topic

#736 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:59 PM

I thought it went without saying that we were talking now mainly about a certain kind of Caucasian (or I guess Asian).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#737 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,893 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:00 PM

It's a extraordinarily globalized, homogeneous upper-middle- to upper- class.

Right. These conversations are no fun if we admit that most jeans are wide leg Levi's and most coffee is folgers or Dd. It's really about the fact that this group goes to Hanoi and immediately finds the latte art.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#738 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:06 PM

I thought it went without saying that we were talking now mainly about a certain kind of Caucasian (or I guess Asian).

That's more a contingent thing based on global wealth distribution though.

Right. These conversations are no fun if we admit that most jeans are wide leg Levi's and most coffee is folgers or Dd. It's really about the fact that this group goes to Hanoi and immediately finds the latte art.

The Hanoi example is not really why I think this trend is pernicious. The pernicious case is when these sorts of homogenized places crowd out everything else.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#739 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:06 PM

Although that's not really true.  You go to Mexico City, there are plenty of Latino Hipsters.

ETA -- Cross-posted with taion above.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#740 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,893 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:37 PM

That's more a contingent thing based on global wealth distribution though.

The Hanoi example is not really why I think this trend is pernicious. The pernicious case is when these sorts of homogenized places crowd out everything else.

But I guess one leads to the other. Hanoi isn't in danger of this, but one wonders about a place like Arab street in Singapore which was super cool two years ago for its mix of tradition and yupster amenities but one worries that those yupster amenities will soon be all there is.

#741 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:44 PM

Why go that far?

Consider Manhattan or Manhattanized Brooklyn. It's not that there isn't anything that isn't homogenized global yupster stuff... it's that there's hardly anything worthwhile other than that.

#742 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,893 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:02 PM

Why go that far?

Consider Manhattan or Manhattanized Brooklyn. It's not that there isn't anything that isn't homogenized global yupster stuff... it's that there's hardly anything worthwhile other than that.

Well yeah. I figured that ship has sailed.

Wilfrids point about the rest of the city is illustrative. In a way, you beg the question. We bring it on outselves.

#743 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:07 PM

there's hardly anything worthwhile other than that.

You realize you can't really mean that, right?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#744 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,112 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:07 PM

I'm very uncomfortable talking about one segment of the population as if nobody else exists.  But the point has been made.

#745 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,112 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:09 PM

there's hardly anything worthwhile other than that.

There are plenty of discussions just on Mouthfuls about places around the city that are worthwhile, yet have no relation to a hipster aesthetic.

Of course, you need a car to get to them.  (joke)

#746 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:27 PM

It was supposed to be sarcastic, but only just. Sort of like how we all just rejected Chevalier for cultural reasons.

Like, what's in the category of interesting/exciting new things in Manhattan that couldn't be elsewhere for cultural reasons?

#747 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,112 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:30 PM

The latter, meant literally, would be an incredibly narrow category at any time in living memory.

#748 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,893 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:41 PM

It was supposed to be sarcastic, but only just. Sort of like how we all just rejected Chevalier for cultural reasons.

Like, what's in the category of interesting/exciting new things in Manhattan that couldn't be elsewhere for cultural reasons?

Isn't it the reverse? Isn't the current hipster aesthetic some combination of New York and scandanavian ideas? This is why I bring up Singapore - being asked, at the milk and honey clone above the third wave cafe, if I've ever been to "a speakeasy style cocktail bar" is remarkable. New York wasn't swallowed, New York is doing the swallowing.*

*caveat - lots of people wear cargo shots.

#749 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:51 PM

I remember being at a food-counter-type restaurant in Stockholm and being asked if I had ever heard of David Chang's pork buns (of which they purported to serve a tribute version).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#750 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:26 PM

Isn't it the reverse? Isn't the current hipster aesthetic some combination of New York and scandanavian ideas? This is why I bring up Singapore - being asked, at the milk and honey clone above the third wave cafe, if I've ever been to "a speakeasy style cocktail bar" is remarkable. New York wasn't swallowed, New York is doing the swallowing.*

*caveat - lots of people wear cargo shots.

Is it? I mean nominally sure – but really it's a homogenized global product. Again it's not fundamentally "New York", IMO.

This is all very fluffy and fuzzy... intentionally so.