776 replies to this topic

#751 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,916 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:33 PM

Isn't it the reverse? Isn't the current hipster aesthetic some combination of New York and scandanavian ideas? This is why I bring up Singapore - being asked, at the milk and honey clone above the third wave cafe, if I've ever been to "a speakeasy style cocktail bar" is remarkable. New York wasn't swallowed, New York is doing the swallowing.*

*caveat - lots of people wear cargo shots.

Is it? I mean nominally sure but really it's a homogenized global product. Again it's not fundamentally "New York", IMO.

This is all very fluffy and fuzzy... intentionally so.

The subway tile, the shabby chic - much of it seems to capture an aesthetic that, mostly, I think people either associate with tastefully done New York urban spaces (or scandanavian minimalism). it's tres Brooklyn because it reminds people of Brooklyn (and is probably created after a research trip to nyc). It may be first mover, or associative, but in a pre-insta world, it probably ends up being something that's much more localized.

Of course, it's hard to see that in way that it's easy to see taillevent as distinctly Parisian. But as an nyc outsider whose watched people explicitly import that aesthetic it's clear.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#752 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:16 PM

Even if true, if you're a New Yorker, that's arguably even worse. Instead of having generic and internationalized, you now have generic and internationalized and a sense that you haven't even gone anywhere.

Like if you think about this as a bunch of lines radiating outward from New York, the New York is in some sense the closest to everyone else – i.e. the least distinct!
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#753 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,246 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:31 PM

In Stockholm, where most of the newer places were quite explicitly modeled on "Brooklyn", part of me felt proud and part of me felt "what the fuck am I paying for?"
Bar Loser

MF Old

#754 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:34 PM

I think it makes the world as a whole poorer and worse off in terms of culture and diversity.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#755 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,916 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 07:16 PM

This is not bad: https://www.eater.co...n-platform-mall

#756 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,043 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 07:43 PM

I think the writer wrings her hands a bit much.  Interestingly, Eater LA does not include Roberta's in its current list of 38 essential local restaurants.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#757 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 12:42 AM

My takeaways from the article are the writer probably graduated or otherwise left home in 2008, that she is committed to blanket-progressive causes, that she thinks LA is a city, and that selling out is selling out.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#758 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,043 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 02:33 AM

Pretty good takeaways.  LA is, despite your misgivings, a city.

Then that happened.

#759 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,043 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 03:50 AM

I note this thread was begun by Lex.  Whither Lex?  Shouldn't he be making Super Bowl predictions or something?

Then that happened.

#760 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,916 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:27 PM

My takeaways from the article are the writer probably graduated or otherwise left home in 2008, that she is committed to blanket-progressive causes, that she thinks LA is a city, and that selling out is selling out.

That stuff all seems true, but the core point is a bit more interesting. That the inevitability of her generation of young people becoming wealthy and powerful has also meant that her generation of young people have had the power to dictate mainstream tastes. And they did it in such a way that they won the fight over good taste - Blue Bottle is better than Starbucks, Shake Shack (yes Shake Shack) is better than McDonald's, and there's passable VPN style pizza in every major city - but the resultant mono-culture, not to mention the transformation of charming local experiences into national and multi-national brands, has proven to  be unsatisfying, notwithstanding the fact that the baseline quality of coffee, burgers, pizzas, restaurants, cocktails, etc. is better than it was before.

#761 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 11:44 PM

Behold the future:

https://www.transit-web.com/en/shop/

http://www.baycrews....brandlist/food/

#762 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 11:51 PM

but the resultant mono-culture, not to mention the transformation of charming local experiences into national and multi-national brands, has proven to  be unsatisfying, notwithstanding the fact that the baseline quality of coffee, burgers, pizzas, restaurants, cocktails, etc. is better than it was before.

Yes, but that's not exactly surprising. Also don't forget to throw in that talent doesn't scale.

#763 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,916 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 07:03 PM

but the resultant mono-culture, not to mention the transformation of charming local experiences into national and multi-national brands, has proven to  be unsatisfying, notwithstanding the fact that the baseline quality of coffee, burgers, pizzas, restaurants, cocktails, etc. is better than it was before.

Yes, but that's not exactly surprising. Also don't forget to throw in that talent doesn't scale.

Agreed. But NYC restaurants really want to scale.

#764 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:32 PM

As they should. They don't rely on local products or culture and they're tested for succeeding against a backdrop of ineptitude and unpredictability that is unique among developed countries.

#765 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,916 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 12:57 AM

https://www.eater.co...laylist-spotify