251 replies to this topic

#16 IanT

IanT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

La Fromagerie is still definitely the place for cheese generally although Neals Yard (in Covent Garden or Borough Market) has an even better selection of UK and Irish cheese.

Tapas: Jose on Bermondsey Street for classic tapas (great ham, best croquetas in town)or Morito on Exmouth Market for a little more modern with Moorish influences. Pizarro (just up the road from Jose, same owner) if you'd prefer a little more structure/a seat.

If you have any difficulty in getting a table at The Ledbury let me know and I can probably help you out. Coincidentally enough the chef is also currently on an eating tour of California so you can look out for Manresa, TFL, Saison, Coi, Meadowood etc. references.

The Sportsman is definitely doable on a week night if you can get off work earlyish. Train from Victoria. It's probably a must visit for you if you are interested in ingredients-led restaurants. Hand and Flowers is also doable, it's not on the foodie radar as much as The Sportsman, slightly less exciting maybe but delicious, a Michelin 2* gastropub. Both are very popular though so you would need to try and book asap. And pre-order the tasting menu if you go to The Sportsman. I'll mention Harwood Arms again as its a similar style to H&F (and more accessible, in Fulham).

Have you been to River Café? It's still very good and, although maybe a little overpriced (especially when compared to the excellent River Café-lite places like Zucca and Trullo) you will be impressed by the ingredients. Always buzzy, negronis made with Antica Formula, sunny summer evening by the river...

#17 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,288 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

This thread is fantastic right now. And I'm not even going to be in London anytime soon.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#18 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,142 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:21 AM

yes - I've been to the river cafe and while I find it over priced  I am a fan.  A nice sunny saturday its a pretty lovely place to be.

Huge Neals Yard fan.  Fuck - maybe I should just bag work and go eat.

Why not mayo?

#19 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

I don't know if you like natural wines etc, but I am a big fan of the Green Man and French Horn (St Martin's Lane) which specializes in Loire wines, very good selection,

which has a bar you can sit at and good food, and there is also Duck Soup  (Soho) which has some deeply strange wines -- Petillant Poulsard from the Jura etc, and quite adequate food. Also Terroirs  good if you are on your own, near Trafalgar Square.

#20 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

I don't know if you like natural wines etc, but I am a big fan of the Green Man and French Horn (St Martin's Lane) which specializes in Loire wines, very good selection,

which has a bar you can sit at and good food, and there is also Duck Soup  (Soho) which has some deeply strange wines -- Petillant Poulsard from the Jura etc, and quite adequate food. Also Terroirs  good if you are on your own, near Trafalgar Square.

Very interesting!  Nice list.  That should keep RSJ on their toes.

I would second Terroirs for solo dining and good drinking.

#21 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:20 AM

Adding on to this thread, I'm looking for a tasty place for a Sunday dinner. We will have just eaten several big menus in a row so I'd love some place especially local with moreish bites. I was thinking Bull and Last, but haven't been in a while (or heard of recent reports) and maybe hoping for something a bit more central (we're staying at The Dean Street Townhouse). I can't have garlic, so this rules out many genres.

#22 IanT

IanT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:36 AM

Duck Soup or 10 Greek Street would tick the box, very close by, small plates, interesting wines but neither are open on Sunday evening.  Barrafina would be a decent choice, tapas bar on Frith Street which is just around the corner from you.  Udon might be a good choice after a few big meals, Koya is very good and also on Frith Street.

#23 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,142 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

So it turns out this trip is going to be quite a bit busier than I expected - it looks like I'll only have one night on my own for which I've booked Hedone.  The Ledbury for lunch - do they take bookings? Is London like NY where its best usually to just call? 

Why not mayo?

#24 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,130 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

I know the Ledbury takes lunch bookings because I was unable to make one.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#25 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:13 AM

Brilliant dinner at The Ledbury last night. This was our forth time in so many years. It's always been fabulous, but now it's beyond exceptional. Service and space are also a delight. (This followed dinners at In de Wulf, De Jonkman and The Sportsman, which were also all superb -- the products here in the UK and in Europe are simply divine).

#26 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,953 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

(I ate alone at tayyabs last night - quite doable)

man, i need a headache

#27 IanT

IanT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

So it turns out this trip is going to be quite a bit busier than I expected - it looks like I'll only have one night on my own for which I've booked Hedone.  The Ledbury for lunch - do they take bookings? Is London like NY where its best usually to just call? 

It's become very popular over the past two years, you will need to book ahead, even for a midweek lunch.  As I said above, if you struggle to get a booking then send me a pm with the dates you can do and I will hopefully be able to sort something out for you.

#28 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,142 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

So i missed quilon with another mfer last night hopefully he'll post.

Jose tonight - jamon, prawns, hake all a point. Loved it.

Pub wise Jerusalem Tavern as I write this. Perfect weather for a pint on the street

Yesterday had a half of Rodenbach at Dovetail. Unreal on draft. Really amazing.
Why not mayo?

#29 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,130 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

I can't imagine better than Jerusalem Tavern.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#30 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,142 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

My personal touchstone is the wenlock arms where I once had a mid afternoon smiths sing along with a toothless guy.
Why not mayo?