316 replies to this topic

#31 IanT

IanT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

Good to hear its going well.  I haven't tried Rodenbach, will do so.  If you get to Craft make sure to try a few of the Mikkeler beers, very serious.  Sorry I am not around for a pint.  I'm in sunny West Clare, just had a couple of pints of Guinness and then local lobster with samphire and floury spuds with a bottle of Laurent Perrier.  Watching the sun go down now with coffee and Jameson.  Pretty good.

#32 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,199 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

Heh. Mikkeler suddenly has become a fighting word here in New York.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#33 IanT

IanT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

Why so?

#34 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,319 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

Oh god don't read the tørst thread. It's Mikkeler's brothers bar. That thread is the killing fields of the mouthfuls culture wars.
Why not mayo?

#35 IanT

IanT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

Wow, that is scary.  Sometimes I'm glad I don't engage with the NYC threads.

On the basis of that thread, I'd skip Craft.  I don't want to start another row.  They may have 30+ beers on tap and 500+ by the bottle but I can't remember how comfortable the stools were.

On the subject of beer, I'd recommend a visit to Kernel brewery.  They are my favourite UK craft beers, especially their IPAs.  The brewery is in an old railway arch (of course) in the Maltby/Spafields market and serves a wide range of its beers in a very relaxed environment on a Saturday, happy to give samples etc (no written descriptions though...)  Plus there is a good butcher next door who sells homemade pork scratchings and the best sausage roll in the country.

#36 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,319 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

So lets see  - other meals of note

Hedone - excellent, the chef/owner is a nice presence in the dining room and the bar makes a perfect place to eat as a solo diner.  Special Shout-out to Parmesan Raviioli in an Onion Consomme and the Squab in a liver sauce.  Sort of the kind of place I think of as a European One star.  Really enjoyed it.  Quite casual room and casual-y service as well. I took the tasting because I'm a tourist, but if I lived in London (or more precisely way the fuck out in West London) the carte is quite nice.

Cheese Plate at La Fromagerie. For 8.50 GBP a cheese plate that makes me want to firebomb Murray's.  Ok. I already want to firebomb Murray's, but you know what I'm saying.  I much much prefer the Highbury location tho.  I think walked over to Emirates and picked up a baby-sized kit for the boy.

Rest of the Week was meeting old drinking buddies and hence pub centric.  I have to say that in this heat the cask stuff does suffer a bit, but I'm still happy to drink it.  Was out in Marylebone and Shepherd's Market for the most part.

Hit Taylor St. Baristas, Monmouth, and Prufrock.  8 years ago it was Monmouth and then everyone else.  Not the case anymore.  Plus early in the AM after a rough night I do enjoy a flat white which isn't so common in NYC. All great recs.

I was supposed to go to Harwood Arms on Thursday, but plans had to change - which bums me out.

French Man & Green Horn was nice for a glass of wine and the menu read nicely. If I come back soon with the Fam, we will def spend some time there.  Nice list although I question the wisdom of 12 year old Robinot but wtf do I know.

So thanks to our locals for all of their advice.

Why not mayo?

#37 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,199 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

Sort of the kind of place I think of as a European One star.

Right. And if it were in New York, it would be an easy two -- and people would say it should be considered for three.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#38 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,652 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

Any recent recommendations for Shoreditch/Clerkenwell? Breakfast,luch dinner, drinks,pubs wine bar, merchants---all are welcome. I am going to be in the area for about 5 days, already have a couple of meals planned but would be grateful for other suggestions.

Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#39 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,199 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:11 PM

I just loved staying there.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#40 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

Any recent recommendations for Shoreditch/Clerkenwell? Breakfast,luch dinner, drinks,pubs wine bar, merchants---all are welcome. I am going to be in the area for about 5 days, already have a couple of meals planned but would be grateful for other suggestions.

The Dovetail

The Quality Chophouse 

Immortal space traveler.

#41 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 81,915 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

Quality Chophouse still going.  Must be nearly thirty years ago I last ate there.

#42 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

Quality Chophouse still going.  Must be nearly thirty years ago I last ate there.

since 1869, according to their website

Immortal space traveler.

#43 IanT

IanT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

Right, I live in Clerkenwell so feel kinda obliged to help as much as I can.  To follow your categories:

Breakfast

Caravan is probably the best breakfast/brunch spot.  Salvation Jane (between Clerkenwell and Shoreditch) and Modern Pantry (particularly the sugar cured prawn omelette - also good for a light lunch) also good.  The most truly special breakfast in London is just a walk away though at Hawksmoor Guildhall (only Monday to Friday) - it's just incredible, please try this (if only for the unlimited beef dripping toast).  Related category of coffee shops: Prufrock, Dose, Workshop (not for food), Department of Coffee, a particular strength of the area.  Brill for pretty good coffee, great bagels from Brick Lane, quality music from Jeremy and a bit of a feel for what Clerkenwell was like 10 years ago.

Lunch/Dinner

Sushi Tetsu: best sushi in London and very good on any reckoning.  Although you won't get in...

Quality Chop House: Everyone else has mentioned it so...  It reopened a year or so ago and is very good now.  A no-choice fixed menu in the evening, ex-St John chef and sticks reasonably close to that approach.  Great, reasonably priced, wine-list.  Cool old, listed, interior.

Moro/Morito: Moro you'll probably know about, Morito is a tapas off-shoot next door and the place we tend to use much more than its big brother.  Very good.

St John: You'll know all about but it's still great, even if just for a casual lunch or dinner in the bar area.

Foxlow: New, more casual off-shoot of the Hawksmoor steakhouses.

Bistrot Bruno Loubet has gone downhill on the basis of a recent meal.  Blackfoot (pig restaurant on Exmouth Market) has just opened to good reviews.

Drinks/Cocktails

Zetter Townhouse the best place by a distance, one of the best in London.

Pubs

Craft (for ridiculous range of beers and if you fancy Evil Twin/Mikkeller etc.), Jerusalem Tavern (for London in Dickens time and good beer), Dovetail (crazy range of Belgian beer), Old Red Cow, Gunmakers, really there are loads...

Wine Bars

Vinoteca, Quality Chop House wine bar (next door to the restaurant).

Shops

Turner &  George - recently opened butcher (in a beautiful old Victorian shop) and incredibly good.  Co-owned by the Head Chef from Hawksmoor.  Quality Shop (just opened beside the Quality Chop House) for a good butcher (although not as good as T&G) and great selection of vegetables, cheeses etc.  Other than that, we use Gazzanos (Italian deli) and Waitrose but not really worth it for a visitor!  If you make it to Hackney (Broadway Market on Saturday is fun and I'd recommend the walk along the canal from Clerkenwell, through Shoreditch and on to Hackney) then Noble Wines is very good.

#44 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

Anyone been to Blackfoot yet? All pig restaurant on Exmouth Market

#45 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

does craft only have mikkeller in bottles? i went looking for it on tap, nothing

Immortal space traveler.