103 replies to this topic

#31 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:56 PM

I was at the store last Friday and picked up Appolonia.

I need some suggestions on what to do with the Cataluna. I used it in a variation of hummus and it did not go over well. We liked it in the beet salad. I made last weekend.

It's great on halibut...I mixed some in with flour and then pan fried.  It's also super nice with lamb.  In the Art of Blending, the recipe ideas include mix with crumbled feta and serve with crackers or toast, add to your favorite marinara, add to sliced roasted beets (sounds like you verified that one), and then also great with tomato soup, meatballs, barbeque sauce, roast pork tenderloin, and steamed mussels.  I can definitely see it being awesome with mussels, but none of the other ideas inspire me much.

The recipe is a piquillo pepper financier attributed to Paul Liebrandt.

#32 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:03 AM

It was the woman in the shop who pulled out a copy of the book and suggested trying it with beets. She also suggested that I email Lior and promised that he would respond with suggestions. By the way, the shop is a pain in the ass to get to.

The fish idea is a good one.
Future Legacy Participant.

#33 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,538 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:14 AM

open sky offers some nice samplers of the la boite spices curated by famous chefs and food writers. they have a lot of 20% deals and sometimes free shipping. you also get to see comments from folks who have tried them.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#34 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,130 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:43 AM

It's perfect with goat, if that's your thing
Bar Loser

MF Old

#35 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:52 AM

Anyone try the biscuits yet?

Man about town.

#36 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,091 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:42 AM

I've tried several blends, and while I'm impressed with the marketing skill required for massively marking up salt in some cases, I feel like they're poorly designed and that they feature overly broad use suggestions - for example Ana, which sounds like it'd be a second take on Za'atar, substituting rose blossom for hyssop but keeping the sumac and sesame, actually smells much more chermoula-ish than you'd expect, and contains among other things strongly anise flavored woody bits that are completely inappropriate for "salads" or dessert as suggested on the box, instead seeming better for cooking oily fish or some stews (but then who wants to hear they're supposed to put $20 of spices into their mackerel?)

The individual spices seem to be of very high quality and do not suffer from any of the off flavors you usually get with ancient spices that were oxidizing away in storage until they found their way into a blend, but the blends just don't really seem to work... Also, the packaging seems cheap for such a product. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#37 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,538 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:02 AM

i guess i'm not sure i understand why people who like the idea of this stuff wouldn't just make their own blends to suit their tastes and cooking styles

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#38 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,130 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:04 AM

Because you have to have a hint of a guess of a clue what you're doing to make up your own mixes.

Also, the cheap packaging is a plus. If those were sold in glass rather than plastic bottles, I'd already have broken several of them.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#39 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,538 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:30 AM

Because you have to have a hint of a guess of a clue what you're doing to make up your own mixes.

Also, the cheap packaging is a plus. If those were sold in glass rather than plastic bottles, I'd already have broken several of them.

but your expensive spices would keep better in glass or non-reactive metal and maybe not be poisoned by leaching chemicals.

~Jack Handey

#40 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,070 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

I think I said this a few posts back...

It seems like one could cobble together many of these assortments from a place like Penzey's at a much better price. Probably even at Kalustyan's. The special blends might be another story altogether.

Even though Suvir always tells me that the spices at the other place on the same block as Kalustyan's are fresher.

#41 aek

aek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

They use these for retail packing too?

KZB6T18.jpg

#42 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,130 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

No. Retail has squatter bottles and more elaborate labels.

(I prefer yours.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#43 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,942 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

And cheap metal caps. The jars hold about 1/2 cup (120 ml). He does have dark jars that look like small Noxzema jars (blue glass, silver plastic caps) that he used to make our individual blends, but I don't know if those are generally available to retail customers or are only for restaurants.

Unless you use huge amounts of spices/herbs on a regular basis, it would be even more expensive to buy the separate components to make your own blends and then to have to toss them when they lose potency. If you even could, as a civilian, find all the components.

That said, now that I've tried some, I doubt I'll buy more. As I noted above, I couldn't finish one before it lost fragrance, so it's a waste.

I apologize to those who already know this. -- Lex, 9 July 2017 - 12:53 PM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#44 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,903 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

checked Open Sky...they're charging $23 for the shipping for two little containers.  I'm just congenitally opposed to getting ripped off like that.

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#45 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,130 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

checked Open Sky...they're charging $23 for the shipping for two little containers.  I'm just congenitally opposed to getting ripped off like that.

Yeah, as much of a pain as it is, you have to go to his store. (Which isn't always open when they say it will be, BTW.)
Bar Loser

MF Old