43 replies to this topic

#16 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

I use a Skerton at work - its very handy for one cup of coffee.

ETA: and yes - my coworkers response is exactly as you would expect

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#17 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,329 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

I use a Skerton at work - its very handy for one cup of coffee.

ETA: and yes - my coworkers response is exactly as you would expect

Years (okay, decades) ago, when I was working in Silicon Valley, I used to grind and brew my own coffee at my desk - for my boss and me.  I know what the coworkers thought then - that I was nuts.

#18 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,810 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

i think i'll look for a deal on the baratza and maybe get a small kitchenaid for $30 in the meantime.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#19 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,765 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

The Baratza is your best bet.  It will end up costing you the same as 30 cups of coffee bought at a coffee shop.

i haven't bought 30 cups of coffee in my lifetime. lol

Being a cop you get them free with your gluten free donuts?

I'm just doing drip at home until I get a machine, and a manual burr grinder works amazingly well. Not Hario but some other local product. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#20 cstuart

cstuart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

How often/much are you looking to grind, Splinky?

If you're not grinding out 4 cups a day or something crazy, I'd go with a manual -- the Skerton mentioned upthread is a good choice. You'll pay the same as the kitchenaid (or whatever cheap electric) but the results will be a lot better. 

#21 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,810 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

how much muscle does the skerton require to operate?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#22 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

turning the crank doesn't require that much strength but you need a steady hand to hold it to prevent beans from coming out of the top when the grinding hits a snag.

the blue bottle coffee in williamsburg, which would be a nice place to buy 30 coffees, has them on display if you want to see one before you buy it.  they also have some nicer looking hand grinders that are tempting.  I'm sure there's a lot of other places in nyc that have them too.  sweat leaf, which isn't too far from court square, is a nice place to buy beans and a nice pour over.

#23 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,810 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

what about the canister c from hario? i won't be traveling with the grinder at all. i'm thinking i might be able to use an electric scewdriver instead of the handle if it turns out to be too effort to turn

~Jack Handey

#24 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

I haven't used it but the metal top has to be an improvement over the plastic top in the skerton.  assuming the burr is the same of course.

#25 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

It really isn't very much effort - especially on a coarser grind.

I actually sort of suspect the lever will allow you to apply more torque by hand than an electric screwdriver would be able to apply.

#26 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

I think its actually the same exact grinder with some better pieces built around it.

#27 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

I don't think the screwdriver would be easier to use because you'd still have to hold it still with your other hand, which is were most of the effort goes anyway.

#28 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

FWIW I dislike the Skerton - I find that the shaft wobbles around quite a bit, and as such it tends not to produce a consistent grind. A lot of people seem to modify their Skertons to keep the shaft more fixed in place.

Also the few times I tried to use it to make pourover for myself at work, I got made fun of relentlessly by my coworkers.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#29 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

just repeat the line "go ahead, drink that k-cup swill, you philistine"  own your ridiculousness.

you do have to often re-tighten the skerton.

#30 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

I think the metal top of the one splinky posted would fix the problems with the skerton.  I may buy one.