43 replies to this topic

#31 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

you do have to often re-tighten the skerton.

It wasn't a tightness thing for me. It was literally the shaft wobbling around at every level of tightness I dialed in.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#32 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,616 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:40 AM

you do have to often re-tighten the skerton.

It wasn't a tightness thing for me. It was literally the shaft wobbling around at every level of tightness I dialed in.

Sounds like a screw loose somewhere, but I think your co-workers reacted appropriately.

At least when the PID on the office Silvia was causing all the lights to go dim on a cycle and I had to go find it its own circuit, they could only snicker behind my back. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#33 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:49 AM

I think the plastic does flex a bit, especially if you're going fast.  that's why I think the metal one will be better.

#34 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,140 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:10 AM

how fast and hard are you guys turning it? Are you guys grinders on an offshore racing sailboat on the weekends or something?

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#35 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:15 AM

i wonder if i could outsource the crank turning.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#36 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

I do 48 grams at a time and I usually get annoyed and try to do it as fast as I can.

#37 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#38 cstuart

cstuart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:29 AM

That glass/metal grinder does look nice (a lot nicer than my plastic one).

#39 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:32 PM

i still haven't pulled the trigger. 

Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder vs. Capresso 560.04 Infinity Conical Burr Grinder

this will be used mostly for french press and cold brew in the Hario Mizudashi Pot

i'm buying something today. what am i buying?

~Jack Handey

#40 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:42 PM

I'd go for the Baratza Encore.

#41 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:39 AM

now i'm thinking the kitchenaid blade grinder might be fine for my purposes and i put the parts in the dishwasher also it comes with 2 additional bowls for grinding spices

~Jack Handey

#42 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:13 PM

Even for french press, blade grinders aren't going to be as good. They do take up a lot less room, though.

#43 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:11 PM

i don't have coffee everyday sometimes not even every week. i could get a baratza encore for under $100 but i hate to dedicate the counter space

~Jack Handey

#44 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:50 PM

Not really a good answer there, then \:

There are manual burr grinders that have pretty good grind quality, and can go just fine in a cabinet, but they're way too much of a pain to use.

Maybe for immersion methods like FP and that cold brewer, it's not quite that big a deal. Like you lose some quality from grind inconsistency (but the beans can't be fresh anyway?), but less in relative terms than with pourover? Not sure.