16 replies to this topic

#1 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:32 PM

When is this store opening?  And is it in or adjacent to the Nanuet Mall? 

Looks like Fairway is continuing their frenetic expansion.  I wonder if they will have any good grand opening specials...

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,026 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:11 PM

When is this store opening?  And is it in or adjacent to the Nanuet Mall? 

Looks like Fairway is continuing their frenetic expansion.  I wonder if they will have any good grand opening specials...

Fairway is already hiring catering people, stock clerks, greeters, etc for the Nanuet store. Don't know the location, however.

One of the conference calls mentioned a huge build out of stores. Something like 5 more in 2013, 50 more in 2014, etc to a total of 300 stores.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#3 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

Fairway is already hiring catering people, stock clerks, greeters, etc for the Nanuet store. Don't know the location, however.

One of the conference calls mentioned a huge build out of stores. Something like 5 more in 2013, 50 more in 2014, etc to a total of 300 stores.

That would have to mean going national--  It's an interesting thought, being that Fairway seems very New York/Northeast oriented, with the smoked fish, ethnic foods, etc.  But I suppose there are some big egos on their management board. 

Fairway in South Carolina??

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,026 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

I could see them in south Florida very easily. Same demographic in places like Miami suburbs, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, West Palm, and up the coast.  Fort Myers, etc as well.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#5 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

Fort Myers might just work-- we were just there for a day visiting a friend last Feb--  Some folks from the Northeast, more from Chicago and the midwest in that area-- but they complain that they can't even find a decent Italian bread anywhere-- 

But South Florida might be good for 10 stores, still a long way to get to 300! 

#6 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,026 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:20 PM

The Simon property group has an updated list of tenants at their new Shops at Nanuet (the old Nanuet Mall).  In addition to Fairway, Macy's and  Sears, there will be a Zinburger, Cups Yogurt, Corner Bakery, etc.

Similar to the mix at the Zinburger in Clifton.

http://www.simon.com...t-nanuet/stores

...Jonathan Waxman

#7 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,026 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:58 PM

Opens next Thursday.  Should be a zoo for a few weeks, like West Paterson / Woodland Park.

Speaking of which, the WP Fairway sent me an email with $10 off any order coupons.  Never had that happen before.

...Jonathan Waxman

#8 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

Opens next Thursday.  Should be a zoo for a few weeks, like West Paterson / Woodland Park.

Speaking of which, the WP Fairway sent me an email with $10 off any order coupons.  Never had that happen before.

I've gotten those about 3 times in the mail.  Don't you have to spend $75?  (Not that hard in Fairway)

#9 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,026 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:14 PM

I've gotten those about 3 times in the mail.  Don't you have to spend $75?  (Not that hard in Fairway)

yes on the $75

yes on not hard to do

...Jonathan Waxman

#10 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,026 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

The opening week flyer looks interesting.

US tenderloin for $6#, chicken legs and thigs for 99 cents, house bread for $1.99.  Specials in olives, cheese, etc.

Should be a real zoo for a few weeks

http://flyer.fairway...op/WeeklyAd.gsn

...Jonathan Waxman

#11 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

The opening week flyer looks interesting.

US tenderloin for $6#, chicken legs and thigs for 99 cents, house bread for $1.99.  Specials in olives, cheese, etc.

Should be a real zoo for a few weeks

http://flyer.fairway...op/WeeklyAd.gsn

Funny, there was a flyer in the Bergen Record with a Fairway coupon for $10 like you talked about, Paul. Paramus only, though.

I don't know if it will be a "zoo".  I remember the much heralded opening of Paramus 4-5 years ago (Hard to believe it's that long ago!!)  and they did a terrific job of handling the crowds.  Lots of help, lots of deli clerks, and lots of cashiers.  Maybe it will be worth a trip to Nanuet if the pricing is better than in Paramus.  

#12 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,026 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:10 PM

The pricing will probably be better in Nanuet than Paramus for a few weeks, if they follow the model they used when opening Woodland Park.  There was a considerable difference last year in favor of WP. That may be why they've limited the coupon for use in Paramus only, to avoid cannibalizing the older store.

The Record mentioned today that only about half the new mall has opened, the remaining stores (including a Zinburger, etc) will open by the end of the year.  But the parking lot was full for opening day.

I don't know how NY sales tax affects a typical purchase, but NJ exempts many fresh foods, meats, fish, etc from tax.  Combined with the higher tax rate in Rockland, that could affect some buyers, too

...Jonathan Waxman

#13 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

A few friends of mine went today -- they said it wasn't that bad, wasn't as crazy as they thought, etc.

Lot's of very good specials, promotions, etc. I didn't ask about specifics, taxes, etc. -- but just wanted to find out how crazy it might have been. Thanks.

#14 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

The sales tax difference is minimal.  NJ is 7%, whereas Rockland is about 8 1/3%.  NY doesn't tax edibles either, except for soda and made up sandwiches.  Not sure about the hot and cold bars.  

#15 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

I stopped by yesterday.  The experience sucked.  Many stores are closed and those that are open are reruns of every other mall. 

There is a Fairway in Paramus so...

Zinburger--not open

PF Chang's --not open

Some kind of beer and Burger Chain--not open

Bonefish Grill--Dinner only

Banchetto Feast--A long walk away in the distance and there is one in Westwood anyway.

There was an interesting Thai food truck parked in a rear parking area.  I didn't try it, but it's offerings of Pad Thai, Pad Se Ew, etc... looked to be the most interesting food of the lot.

Overall, for me, a meager experience and not worth the drive from mid Bergen Cty and of course the question is beggared as this is an outdoor, non-enclosed mall---Snow/winter weather??

yer 'avin' a larf, mate