37 replies to this topic

#1 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:29 PM

Heading to Chicago in about a month's time. We have a reservation at Alinea -- but still have Monday lunch and dinner and Tuesday lunch to work out. Not to mention breakfasts. Any must-dos?

#2 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:16 PM

I really enjoyed The Publican. And Blackbird.

[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#3 robert40

robert40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

I love Nightwood! Great ingredients with a twist.

I visit Schwa everytime in Chicago. Its not for everyone and I recommend a backup even if you get a reservation.

Au Cheval for burger! And roasted bone marrow with beef cheek marmalade will stop all conversations at the table.

Fat Rice! That is if you don't mind waiting for a table.

#4 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:03 PM

Thank you for these great ideas. I have reserved Nightwood -- hadn't known about it before and it looks right up our street. Looks like a good companion dinner to Alinea the night before. Will maybe aim to try Publican Quality Meats at lunchtime one day and Au Cheval the other if we're not missing out on some more classic lunch joints? (Schwa and Fat Rice sadly aren't open the days we're in town.)

#5 robert40

robert40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:50 AM

Thank you for these great ideas. I have reserved Nightwood -- hadn't known about it before and it looks right up our street. Looks like a good companion dinner to Alinea the night before. Will maybe aim to try Publican Quality Meats at lunchtime one day and Au Cheval the other if we're not missing out on some more classic lunch joints? (Schwa and Fat Rice sadly aren't open the days we're in town.)

I stopped by Publican Quality Meats to pick up sandwiches for Schwa's family meal. They gave me a tour before leaving. Very impressive!

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

#6 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:04 AM

Looks serious, that's for sure.

#7 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

Reporting back.

Publican Quality Meats was very solid at lunchtime -- particularly the pork belly gyro. Also liked the huge, hot charcuterie plate.

Nightwood was sadly a disappointment. The trout and pork loin we had as our mains were perfectly cooked but the pork wasn't a fantastic piece of meat and the accompaniments to both were gloopy and strangely thought out: a pile of very spicy, pickled sport peppers and overdressed arugula with the pork; ratatouille smothered in mayonnaise with the trout. We ended up pushing the accompaniments to one side and not really eating them, they were that mismatched. 

#8 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:03 PM

Any other recommendations, anyone? Paul will be in Chicago next week, needing Wednesday and Thursday dinners downtown or easily accessible by public transportation. And probably something to eat at O'Hare before his 7:30 pm flight on Friday. (For those of you who don't know, he likes to eat but is not a feinschmecker: can't remember that we ate at wd~50, let alone remember what we ate.) TIA

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#9 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,692 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

We had some nice meals at Henri across from the Art Institute. About two years ago now but the reviews seem to still hold up.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#10 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

All the usual suspects i.e. Avec, Publican, etc still good...... but not so known and quite good

Fat Rice

The Bristol

Elizabeth

Au Cheval

Mex:

Cemitas Puebla

Don Pedro Carnitas

Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton

#11 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

At O'Hare he should eat at Tortas Frontera.

Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#12 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

At O'Hare he should eat at Tortas Frontera.

He thinks he did already, but wouldn't mind eating there again. Thanks for the reminder.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

#13 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

So far: lunch on the way in at Torta Frontera; other lunches are at conference, I guess. Dinner alone Wednesday at Henri (okay food but some glitches) and yesterday at Green Zebra. He got a group of 9 together, some of whom were not aware the place was meatless until they got there. But everyone loved it.

#14 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,728 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:40 PM

Might as well finish this off (I probably should finish Singapore as well). Intelligentsia was good for coffee, but I was particularly impressed with the espresso at Worm Hole - a glad sign that serious espresso bars are moving away from excessively acidic and fruit forward shots. Glazed and confused serves a totally fine doughnut. The Publican is killer. The jambalaya was served with gorgeous head on shrimp and the pork and hominy stew was possibly even better - the flavours were very comforting and melded together very well. Thick cut bacon with maple syrup was as delicious as it sounds. My cocktail with bourbon and applejack was well executed as expected. Tacos from Big Star - al pastor and panza - were good if salty.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#15 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:12 AM

I was wondering what happened to singapore ...