37 replies to this topic

#16 Meredith380

Meredith380

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:36 AM

My husband has a conference to attend at U of Chicago business school for three days in mid August. We will be extending the trip to enjoy the weekend, and headed to Wrigley to set the Giants (his home team) play the Cubbies, and may go back for another game. We will be staying at the Intercontinental and I will have the days to myself. Besides shopping, which I'm not convinced I'm interested in, can anyone recommend local (aka walking distance) places for lunch in my own? When I dine alone, I do prefer to eat at the bar, if there is one. We will likely head to Joe's for a dinner, but am open to suggestions- I think we just don't have the palates to appreciate restaurants like Aliena, etc. that said, I don't want to be eating burgers non stop nor would I want Applebee's, etc.

Thanks in advance!

#17 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,616 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:21 AM

Iirc that's just a few minutes walk from Topolobampo/Frontera.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#18 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

i'm hearing great things about "the purple pig" on the magnificent mile

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#19 Patrick

Patrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

Publican is walkable from there.

#20 Meredith380

Meredith380

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

Thanks, all great ideas! Has anyone been to Larwys?

#21 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,140 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

I think it would be a waste of a meal given the other options.    

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#22 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

isn't that like a higher priced sizzler kind of chain?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#23 Meredith380

Meredith380

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:27 AM

isn't that like a higher priced sizzler kind of chain?

I guess, if Sizzler only had locations in Beverly Hills, Dallas, Vegas and Chicago. Sadly Lawry's lacks a salad bar.

#24 bolderite

bolderite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

Hi Meredith-

I don't really know why there is a lack of Chicago posters on this site -- the LTH forum is where they all seem to hang out.

http://lthforum.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=14&start=100

That said, we just returned from a week in Chicago (we used to live there).  You are in a good area for walking around and eating on your own. For destinations a short walk away you have the Museum of Contemporary Are, the Art Institute of Chicago that currently has an amazing Magritte retrospective, and Millennium Park, with beautiful gardens, fountains, sculptures and typically, organized activities on the lawn every day, from symphony rehearsals to group yoga classes. An overlooked gem is the Chicago Cultural Center at the corner of Randolph and Michigan. Beautiful architecture, stained glass and often very good art exhibits.  I highly recommend an architectural boat tour. A great way to see all the sites, get a little history and get out on the water -- a three-fer if you will and a perfect thing to do by yourself as you will be surrounded by plenty of "new" friends.  Another unique opportunity, very close to you is you can actually go up to the top of the Michigan avenue bridge inside the tower. Just look for the signs.

Heading north, you can walk to Lincoln Park in about 30 minutes. If you go on Saturday morning, they have a great city market. Any other day of the week, it's just a nice walk and you can stroll through the zoo or botanical gardens.

On to eating -- I could fill your days sending you to all my favorite donut places :D but I assume you want something healthier.

Purple Pig is a great option for charcuterie, burrata, glass of wine, etc.  The wait can be very long at peak times, but there is ample communal seating.

Xoco - is the fast casual Rick Bayless restaurant right around the corner from Frontera Grill, but I would highly recommend Frontera -- you can sit and eat at the bar. Anything with mole or now he has a street food sampler.

Tavernita - another lating/tapas type place, right in the same neighborhood.

Lou Malnati's or Pizzeria Due if you want to get your deep dish pizza fix.

The Gage if you do find yourself by Millenium Park, right across the street, a very nice gastropub.

With your husband, all you have to do is go to West Randolph and it seems as every new restaurant is opening in that neighborhood -- We really like Little Goat, the sister restaurant of Top Chef winner Stephanie Izad's Girl and Goat, Au Cheval for great burgers, Maude's for cocktails, Blackbird or Avec or Publican, the Paul Kahan trifecta. Rm champagne bar is down a little alley off Randolph and has a beautiful back patio, great cocktails and lovely small bites. If you are lucky, the donut vault truck will be parked outside and you can cross that off the list too.

There are so many food options in Chicago right now.  . .

#25 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

lawry's is pretty good.. The quality of meat is good.  They give you a bunch of food.  if you like prime rib and baked potato I would say, it's not bad.. If you wanted something along those lines that i believe is specific to Chicago, check out Weber's.  I want to say it's only specific to Chicago but, it could have gone nationwide.. By the design, it looks like they want it to be.. but, it was pretty good.. If you are looking for the Chain type feel, this is a good option.  the actual grill company owns it, their exposed kitchen is a row of weber grills burning super hot.  it's cool to see, the food was not bad. 

Pizza, I have heard awesome things about Pequods..That is next on my list but, i have also done all the obligatory Louis Malnatti, Gino's, Giodarnos.  If you love butter, go Lou, if you like the sound of a Sausage Disc go Gino's.  

There is a Greek Town.  Miss A and I use to go to Pegasus or the one next door where my Big Fat Greek Wedding was filmed..  You order Saganaki, drink ouzo, Turkish Coffee and I like this Dandeloin Greens and Lemon dish.. It's decent but,  comfortable and fun. 

Also if you want to hit up Chicago Beef, we like the Patio.  

Also,  if you like a metal bar atmosphere with delicious burgers, Kuma's Corner.  

If you are in to Craft Beer, i love this place, Revolution Brewery.  it's on the Blue line.  Can't get their beer out East.  Love their beer,decent bar food.  

Cantonese - Go For Food.  Really delicious.  Get the Large Oysters for sure. 

David Burke is a steakhouse that has a Burger that is high on my list to try, haven't been.  

Fat Rice is on my list to try as well.. 

if you want some sichuan, or hot pot chinese, i can suggest as well.. 

Emporium Arcade Bar for video games and craft beer.  

there are also lots of places to get Pho

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#26 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:15 PM

Is Hot Doug's still good?

Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#27 bolderite

bolderite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

It is, but it is permanently closing in October . .

#28 Meredith380

Meredith380

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

Thanks guys! I think Frontera Grill will likely be a must go to. My husband really wants me to try Chicago deep dish (I grew up outside of NYC and also lived in NoLIta for a while, worked on PAS and 19th for years) so I've never tried it. I'm thinking Lou Malnattis. I have an odd love for Joe's Stone Crab, and can easily go alone for lunch there at the bar. Publican is appealing as I tend to sleep late and therefore eat a late lunch, hopefully I can avoid crowds. The Michael Jordan Steakhouse in the hotel doesn't look appealing...at all. I, do think David Burkes will also be a must go to, those aged steaks sound great and I like supporting a fellow Jerseyan. Go to Food sounds great too. Especially since I love oysters. Basically, I want to visit places I can't go to in NY without an Alinea experience- I just don't think I'm quite "there" yet in my tastes to truly appreciate it.

#29 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

if it would offer any help, i can tell you that my father, the guy who orders grilled chicken breast everywhere he goes. The guy who gets a tuna sandwich at 7-11 in Manhattan because it's a close place to grab a sandwich, the guy who orders a turkey burger and claims it's the same thing as a hamburger, the guy who was microwaving his vegetarian chicken bites, before i got him a toaster oven and pleaded with him to at least do that, absolutely loved Alinea.. He has been there with me twice, both on my birthday so, he had no choice.   He still talks about the meals and was super impressed.. 

It's not a cerebral sort of appreciation.. I mean, there certainly is that aspect, but, the food also  tastes wonderful.. nothing is scary, nothing is tricky.. Not like other places where they make weird flavor combinations or this new Nordic type cuisine where you want to punch someone in the face.. It's actually good food, it's fun and whimsical.. 

Now the new seating, the new gouging on the wine and the new hipster bearded douchey waiters they have, is another story but, the food is approachable and nothing to "get" it's a ton of fun and tasty. 

then again, i don't know what your fears are. Some people don't like ketchup, some people can't eat chicken on the bone, some people cry when the see mayonnaise, or are scared of tin foil.. So perhaps, you can explain what your concerns are with Alinea. 

Side note on my father:  I have turned him at least into someone who appreciates Chinese Food... He can no longer appreciate Americanized Chinese Food. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#30 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,328 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

Try Chicago deep dish.

I can almost GUARANTY you that you won't like it.
Bar Loser

MF Old