24 replies to this topic

#1 picnicchef

picnicchef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

So, on Monday I was doing my civic duty at the Courthouse in Hackensack and took my lunch break at White Manna. I had never been, and considering just how boring jury duty can be, expected it to be the highlight of my day. Not so much. I don't get the appeal...is it me? I like a good burger as much as the next gal (or guy) but these little sliders did nothing for me. I must mention I am in no way a burger snob; I certainly do not care about the mix of meat, who ground it, I just want a good burger. This was not. I walked away feeling like if enough people say its a good burger, the masses will concur. Thoughts please...

#2 JonJacob

JonJacob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

I agree with you 100%.

I do not understand the appeal.

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:58 PM

Not a bad burger, and the off-hours crowd is a delight. Like walking into a Damon Runyon novel. 

I wouldn't make much of a detour to go there, but if I'm in the area, I'll stop.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#4 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:46 PM

It's a good greasy slider IMO.  A NJ icon.  I mayn't travel from far, but certainly would from near.  :)

Disclaimer:  Friends with Ronny Cohen and crew.

yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#5 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

I agree with Nick...it's not as much as "good burger" as much as it's a "good, greasy slider" so to speak. It's also about the "joint" and the experience, which has nothing to do with the actual burger. I wouldn't stack up their burger against Bergen's finest -- but for a greasy spoon, slider type burger -- the place is considered a "classic" joint. More akin to White Castle, but that is very serious grease, fast food, etc. LOL.

#6 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,490 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

You must have ordered wrong!

That's a food board joke. Uhm, there are two, the one that uses martins potatoes rolls is better. The key is to get very high and go. Or be drunk. It's a fun place, not the best or even close to the best. But certainly fun. More nostalgia than substance
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#7 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,670 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

I just had a flashback of my sister-in-law's face when we took her to a Waffle House.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#8 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

I just had a flashback of my sister-in-law's face when we took her to a Waffle House.

Was it a wedding?

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#9 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,670 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

And you just happened to have this link handy. Lex you scare me.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#10 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

While I would like to take the credit for that, those pictures went viral in 2008.  Someone posted them here about a week after they first showed up on the Internet.  Once you see them you can't hear the name "waffle house" without thinking of them. 

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#11 picnicchef

picnicchef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

Got it! I need to go after work, not at lunchtime. I will give it another try with a different thought process. Thanks!

#12 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

So, on Monday I was doing my civic duty at the Courthouse in Hackensack and took my lunch break at White Manna. I had never been, and considering just how boring jury duty can be, expected it to be the highlight of my day. Not so much. I don't get the appeal...is it me? I like a good burger as much as the next gal (or guy) but these little sliders did nothing for me. I must mention I am in no way a burger snob; I certainly do not care about the mix of meat, who ground it, I just want a good burger. This was not. I walked away feeling like if enough people say its a good burger, the masses will concur. Thoughts please...

The problem, Christine, is you did not go with me ::)

Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos

#13 joechartreuse

joechartreuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:35 AM

Wake up late after a very active night and those burgers will cure a hangover...

Karaoke and food- almost heaven

#14 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,490 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:33 PM

14497386044_f54f912f0b_z.jpg

It's probably been a couple of years.. These burgers are fantastic.. I had front seat and was able to watch how they are made.. It's a griddle that is really not that hot.. Firstly, there is no heat coming off it, secondly, the burgers cook for a while with tons of onions and nothing gets charred.. I am guessing the heat of the grill is around 280-300 degrees..  A ball of meat, small, perhaps 3 ounces is plopped down.. Then super thin onions are placed on top and it is smooshed down.. The burgers cook, roughly 3 minutes on the one side, then flipped and 3 minutes on the other side, onion side down.. While that is happening, cheese is placed on top of the burgers.. Then, entire buns are placed on top of the cheese, that's on top of the burger, thats on top of the onions.. Now the buns are steaming.  Eventually, about  maybe another 1.5 minutes, the burgers are lifted off the grill, the buns are separated and the patties are placed inside the buns..

here you can see the buns resting on the burgers getting a steam on the far right., burgers getting cheese after being flipped in the middle and on the far right, newly placed burgers topped with onions getting the first side cooked.. 

14312031850_c8c576545b_z.jpg

It gives more of a steamed burger flavor and the buns are perfectly warm and soft..   The buns are martin potato roll 12 pack..  

14497388164_3f3812b5be_z.jpg

14497388244_d944eecbdd_z.jpg

there is an intense onion flavor, the pickles are really light and I add mustard.. They were super delicious.. Better than I remembered..  

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#15 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:56 PM

That's the White Castle cooking method as well.

I've never had a White Manna burger.  It would be fun to compare.