19 replies to this topic

#1 DanM

DanM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

We arrived late last night minus one suitcase. Kids were cranky and a bit wound up, but quickly crashed when we reache the hotel. Dinner was at Von's. This morning we went to Belle's Bakery and Cafe Ladro for breakfast. More on those later. Right now, we are noshing our way through Pike Place. Updates will be posted when possible.
Blessed are the cheesemakers.

#2 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:08 PM

Looking forward to your reports.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#3 DanM

DanM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:21 PM

When you see a line of people waiting for a place to open, it is a good sign. Or it is hype. Fortune favors the bold. Salmon chowder at Pike Place Chowder. What can I say except that it is damn good chowder. Good enough that someone left a Benjamin in the tip jar. I need more bibs for the younger one.

Rachel's Ginger Beer. Pricey by good. My daughter wanted a pomegranate flavored ginger beer. We might get a growler later

#4 DanM

DanM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:59 AM

Our adventures in Seattle started on a sour note when our main suitcase mysteriously disappeared at the airport. The airline says it arrived, but it was not on the belt or in their custody afterwards. At this point, I think the bag is gone.

We arrived at the hotel with two wired, overtired kids and two hungry, overtired parens. The Kimpton Alexis is an amazing hotel. More on that if you are interested.

After we got the girls to bed, I went up the street to Von's 1000 Spirits. We had their house roasted peanuts, Ceaser salad, mushroom pizza, and sweet benigets. The peanuts were well done... but they are peanuts. The Ceaser salad was a bit unusual with a fried egg on top. However, I like my egg runny, this one had a solid yolke. It was also a bit over dressed. The pizza was the winner. It had a sourdough cust, gorgnzola cheese and a slight kick or hot peppers. The benigets were very light, bu nohing amazing. It did take them about 10-15 minutes longer to deliver the order than hey told me. It gave me a chance to have a Lazy Boy Porter at the bar. The porter was a dissapointment. It lacked body and the robust malt profile you need for an American porter. Overall, solid food with a couple of technical issues. It is worth going to if you are in the area.
c
This morning we went around the corner to Belle Pastry on Western. It is a quiet spot with pastries, coffee, and coffee. We picked up a spinach and tomato bread pudding, a rasberry croissant, and a pumpkin muffin. None of the items were overly sweet or too rich; a common problem in many bakeries these days. My wife grabbed a pumpkin spice latte, which was very well done and was not oversweetened like you find at Starbucks and other chain places. This is a place I would highly recommend to others.

After a short shopping trip to target to replace our clothes, we went to Pike Place.

The guys at Pike Place Fish rigged a nasty looking Monkfish to a rope or cable and made it move around on the ice. It gave my older one a scare and a laugh. We grabbed their salmon jerky, which was a bit underseasoned, IMO.

Mushrooms everywhere! I have not seen so many fresh wild mushrooms in one place at reasonable prices in my life. I want to bring home a box....

Beechers. Really good cheese. The curds are great, but lack sqeak. The mac and cheese was a hit with the girls. The slight hit of heat was a nice touch. The girls also enjoyed watching the cheese being made.

As I mentioned before, the ginger beer and the cowdah were both good. We have a growler of original in the fridge looking for a nip of whisky.

We have goodies from Peroshky Peroshky, Brits Pickles, and Le Penier sitting in the fridge for a picnic lunch tomorrow. More on that later. The bagette we picked up at Le Penier was low grade and tasted like something from a grocery store.

#5 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

Please keep the reports coming. :)  (I miss visiting Seattle, esp. in mushroom season.)

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

#6 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,416 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:38 PM

They were dining that with the monkfish when I visited in 2001. (Wow, where have the last 12 years gone? We were there right about this time)
Future Legacy Participant.

#7 DanM

DanM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:44 AM

On Friday we went around the corner to Nijo Sushi for a happy hour dinner. Happy hour is a good option when feeding little kids. You can get a variety of things for a relatively decent price and hope that something satisfies the little ones. It is also pretty quick service.

The service at Nijo was very friendly and attentive, especially to the kids. They even had special cups for the kids with little floaty bits between the double walled design. That kept the kids happy and entertains.

Sadly, that is where the good comments end. The food was forgettable, unremarkable, and at times unforgivable. One of the worst insults was the yam fries with wasabi aioli. In reality, it was frozen, mass produced sweet potato fries with an industrial faux wasabi sauce. That crap they get in 1 gallon buckets with a 5 year shelf life... The fish we received with several of the dishes was not the freshest. It was not past its prime, but probably the lowest quality they could get away with.

I ordered a bottle of sake with dinner. It concerns me that the bottle came with the cap removed. How do I know that I got the sake I asked for? Was it watered down? It did taste a little weak and I was not that tipsy after drinking a 375ml bottle of the stuff...

There is no need to go on as there is no reason to go to this restaurant.

After the girls went to bed, we cracked open a bottle of beer and some cheese from the Paris grocery. As I mentioned in the other thread, the cheese is a month past is best by date and the beer is 5 months past the date on the bottle. The store has been emailed and I have no intention of going back. If they do not feel a need to respond to me, they might have to respond to the health dept. They typically look down at stores that sell spoiled food.

#8 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

Hmmm, I've never heard of Nijo Sushi. I guess I know why!

If you're out and about near your hotel at lunchtime, give Il Corvo a try.

Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#9 DanM

DanM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:22 AM

Saturday morning we noshed on a couple of almond croissants and a mushroom puff pastry thingie when the girls felt that 530am was a good wakeup time. The items we bought at Le Panier were nothing fantastic or worthy of returning. Granted, some of the stuff was a day old, but it did not tweak my nethers.

We decided a good breakfast would be needed if the girls were going to spend the say running around the aquarium. We returned o Von's 1000 Spirits to try out their breakfast options. The best way I can describe the hash and the Benedict we shared was hangover food done well. I can't say anything negative about the food, except that I would have liked more hollandaise on the Benedict.

We decided a picnic lunch at the aquarium would be a good idea. We grabbed a couple of salads and a polenta at Michou the day before. The quinoa greek salad was nothing more than a greek salad with quinoa. Cheese, cukes, olive oil, etc mixed with quinoa. My favorite was the wild rice salad with pearled barley, squash, cranberries, herbs, and a hint of orange. Everything just melded perfectly. I picked up another container today for the flight tomorrow. Sadly, the polenta did not survive. It got frozen in the minibar, so i was a nasty, soggy mess by they time I got to it.

Dinner on Saturday was another happy hour special at Lecosho. It was a simple fare of difficult too screw up foods like olives, cheese, fried smelt, grilled sardine tartin, spaetzle, and a couple others. The smelt was not seasoned well and the grilled sardines were not grilled. They were probably pulled from the can, marinated, and then laid down on toast. Don't get me wrong, the sardines were awesome, but don't say something and then don't deliver on it.

As a side note, if you are going to have high chairs in your restaurant, please be courteous and prepared for the kids by keeping a few plastic cups or dishes for the anklebiters. Trying to get a 1.5 year old to drink from a glass is difficult and possibly dangerous.

#10 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,843 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

Sounds like you need a vacation once this is over! :)

Din Tai Fung is high on our list for our trip next summer, maybe that's something for you. We sort of have this weird tradition now where we go in any city where they have a branch -- so far, Shanghai, Beijing, Singapore, Sydney and Los Angeles. Plus It will be a couple years before we take the girls to Asia and I don't want to wait that long to introduce them to the joys of a (good) soup dumpling.

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#11 DanM

DanM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

Sunday morning the girls once again woke up at way too early o'clock... again. They snacked on a tub of Elleno's Greek yogurt we picked up at Pike Place... or should I say Greek yogurt semi fredo...darn hotel fridge.

The better half wanted some time with the older kid, so I went on a walk with the younger in the Kelty backpack. We first stopped at the Crumpet Shop for crumpets and jam. The nice folks at the crumpet shop did not share my thoughts on taking crumpets to go. They are best when eaten withing 10 minutes of being toasted. I bought one extra to enjoy as they instructed. When it came out of the toaster, he gave it a dissatisfied look. Its too dark... can you wait for another? I was not in a rush, but asked if the little one can have the good part while I wait. There is no reason to let good food go to waste. I also picked up a biscuit from Biscuit Bitch and Huevos Rancheros from Los Agaves. The vegetarian gravy lacked flavor, but the biscuit was very tender.

For lunch, we stopped at Katsu Burger on the way to the Boeing Flight museum. This place is just awesome. It is a random hole in the wall seemingly in the middle of nowhere. We shared a Miso honey tofu and a Godzilla attack with a side of curry and nori fries. We also had the wasabi slaw and a kinoko black sesame shake. Everything was fresh and nothing was greasy. They obviously love what they do and have fun doing it.

Dinner was from Serious pie. We opted for the squash, anchovy, etc pizza and a mushroom bruchetta. I paid $17 for this pizza?? Mr Douglas, it was tasty, but highway robbery!!

#12 DanM

DanM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

On Monday morning, my wife wanted to satisfy her crumpet craving. We popped in for a quick bite before heading to the monorail. My combo of marmalade and stilton was odd, but quite good. Fortune favors the bold.

After a brief walk around Seattle Center, including the Photography of Modernist Cuisine exhibit at the Pacific Science Center, we headed to Green Leaf for lunch. We shared the combo salad, vegetarian pho,and the vegetarian noodle dish. Holy Toledo the portions were huge!! We could have fed two other families with what we had. The Pho and the noodles were basically the same dish, except for different condiments and the pho had broth. Great food, if we were in the area.

After an extended downtime for the kids (and a final shopping trip for me to get a suitcase), we went to Pike Brewing for another happy hour dinner. This place is insulting. It is clearly designed to appeal to the hordes of tourists at the lowest levels possible. My youngest ate an entire order of radishes, my older one had a hummus plate. My wife's nachos had a small amount of toppings on top of a large pile of chips. There was no effort made to layer the toppings and chips. The veg chili lacked any spice or flavor, but was quite sweet. My cheese plate consisted of a few slices of a mealy apple, a dinner roll, honey thoughtlessly dumped in the corner, and five cheeses... to pair with the six beer samples provided. The beer were mostly crap. As a homebrewer, I can give you my opinions about the beers, but let's just say they lacked malt, body, and character. I am sure you can do much better for dinner. Worse? That may be a challenge.

#13 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:54 PM

I hope you get to go back when the kids are older so you are not so constrained.

#14 DanM

DanM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:25 AM

I hope you get to go back when the kids are older so you are not so constrained.

Constrained? Nah... half of the fun is giving the kids new experiences. 

#15 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

Katsu Burger is great! I wish it were closer. Actually, it's good to keep it where it is.

Pike Brewing indeed sucks. Sorry you had to experience that.

I think what Suzanne means by being constrained is that you are eating at a lot of touristy places, probably due to proximity. Without kids you might be able to expand to more locations.

Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM