316 replies to this topic

#1 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:29 AM

It opened tonight. The first Chowhound review is divine.

1038052_20131112_182729.jpg

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,956 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:39 AM

Can't wait for Wilfrid to not go!

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#3 cstuart

cstuart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:47 AM

The bone in hamburger is a hamburger patty with a long bone protruding from its center.

Why would you stick a bone in a hamburger patty??

#4 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:40 AM

hahaha.  Now I've seen everything.

Man about town.

#5 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,060 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

Can't wait for Wilfrid to not go!

Radically, it serves dinner six nights a week...at dinner time, and takes reservations. You may be disappointed.

I like to not go to restaurants which only open on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings.

#6 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

Damn.  CH pulled the post I linked to.  Actually, it's not really surprising.  It was a review of a free friends and family and, surprise surprise, the poster really liked it.  Actually, liked is far too mild a word.  They were positively giddy with delight.

I had a feeling that the mods might pull it so I did a cut and paste earlier.  This is priceless stuff.

M. Wells Steakhouse

by Pookipichu

M. Wells Steakhouse is open. The restaurant is fenced by minimalist wood slats that open to a courtyard. Inside, the decor is a mix of industrial flooring, metals and found-art chic. M. Wells is the most aesthetically cool restaurant in Queens and one of the most in NYC. The trough for live fish and open kitchen are not only visually arresting but also utile in design.

Bread buns are served deliciously hot with a fresh circle of butter. The bread is gorgeously browned, with a fluffy, yeasty interior and a salty pretzel flavor.

I started with M. Wells Caesar. The preparation of the salad is done at an open station. The salad is crisp romaine buried under a heaping snow of parmesan shavings. The lettuce is very lightly dressed in herring sauce with croutons. The herring is subtle and the dish as a whole is rather restrained but well executed.

The bone in hamburger is a hamburger patty with a long bone protruding from its center. The patty is an elegantly blended mix of top rounds (grass and corn fed respectively) and aged brisket. The housemade sesame bun is expertly baked with an airy moistness and thin crust. The burger was perfectly cooked, crusty sear, medium rare, almost bloody and bathed in remoulade. A very well composed, well presented burger.

I ordered a side of poutine. The fries are crispy and the cheese curds had a consistency of a fresh paneer with the creamy flavor of mozzarella. The gravy was a bit salty for me. I wish the gravy had a bit more meatiness or smokiness.

The meal concludes with a jaw dropping dessert cart. I ordered red velvet cake. The red velvet cake has a banana bread/carrot cake-like consistency and crumb. Not the typical tighter and airy crumb that you might find at Baked or Lady M. The balance of sweetness is quite judicious and pleasing, thankfully not cloyingly sweet as can be with some restaurants. The frosting has cream cheese mellowed by creme fraiche, which is appreciated as I don't care for the flavor of cream cheese. I prefer a tighter and smaller crumb, but lovers of
fruit/vegetable cake will enjoy the texture.

The service is solicitous, informed and warm, although a touch leisurely. The owner and hostess Sarah Obraitis is charm and beauty. Hugue Dufour was dapper and media ready even as he was cooking, as there were photographers and camera crew documenting the opening.

My initial impression is, M. Wells Steakhouse is easily one of the best restaurants, if not the best in Queens. They have an interesting selection of oysters to explore. The lobster roll looked really delicious, given their expert way with breads, it looks like a must order for a next visit.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#7 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:33 PM

call me crazy - but assuming they actually have regular hours it sounds pretty interesting.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#8 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:35 PM

The bone protruding from the centre...in my mind's eye, I saw it stabbing upwards, through the upper bun. 

How / why is the bone in there if the patty is actually minced meat?

#9 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,060 posts

The bone in hamburger is a hamburger patty with a long bone protruding from its center.

Interesting, indeed.

But if that's a shill, why didn't he/she review the steak?  Or weren't they serving steak to family and friends?

#10 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,060 posts

How / why is the bone in there if the patty is actually minced meat?

It's how we eat today.

ETA: It's not very "utile," though.  :D

#11 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,660 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

The bone is a Joe Beef in-joke (the bone in meatball you can see in the cookbook).

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,034 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

There's a Russian dish like that.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#13 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

But if that's a shill, why didn't he/she review the steak?  Or weren't they serving steak to family and friends?

I'm assuming it wasn't being served. Otherwise ordering a burger at a steakhouse on opening night makes no sense.

#14 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:38 PM

Interesting, indeed.

It's M.Wells. Be surprised they were just serving.

(I'd guess the bone thing is a riff on the pojarsky de veau Joe Beef serves - or at least features in their cookbook)

#15 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:38 PM

well I guess everyone else got there first