Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:21 AM

in Hell's Kitchen.

Anyone been yet?

http://www.nytimes.c...&pagewanted=all

And last week, he may have become the first chef in Manhattan to intercept a bathroom-bound customer and order her back to her seat.

“She got up right after the ramen hit the table!” he said in self-defense, citing the first commandment of ramen: It must be eaten while still volcanically hot.

I never made it to either of his places in tokyo. If they're still open, maybe I'll try to find them during my next visit.

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,757 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

I don't suppose he's going to pack it to go, then?

#3 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,625 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:03 PM

He should wait until there's a two hour wait, then kick someone out for eating it wrong!

I'm still sort of amazed that he hasn't been able to open his proper shop in nyc in... what... a year?

pra - the (many) latest reviews on tabelog are not good, I don't know if he's still involved with the tokyo shops or if he's sold them and moved back permanently. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#4 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,004 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

I think he's moved back permanently.

I walked past the space at the beginning of November and it's essentially a mini food-court with Ivan Ramen being one of the stalls/counters...so there was a large buildout not just for him that he'd have to wait on.

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#5 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,609 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:38 PM

friends who've been to japan said it was decent but disappointing.  they didn't order the triple garlic mazamen that I liked so much at noodle bar.

#6 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,625 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:58 PM

I walked past the space at the beginning of November and it's essentially a mini food-court with Ivan Ramen being one of the stalls/counters...so there was a large buildout not just for him that he'd have to wait on.

There's an LES location (Clinton St?) that was supposed to be his shop 

#7 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,004 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

that's his second shop apparently...

#8 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,149 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:00 PM

'twas supposed to be his first though.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#9 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,625 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:08 PM

that's his second shop apparently...

Google faster.

#10 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,004 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

nah, that's just what the NY Times article asserted.  I guess if I'd googled I'd know better :)

#11 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

Ori--thanks for the info. His places were always out of the way for me and there were many well-regarded shops closer to wherever I was, so i never made it to them. But I was always curious. Now that it's gone downhill, I'll use those meals elsewhere.

the article does make it seem like it's a permanent move. Maybe if someone here goes, s/he can ask him if he's still involved with the Tokyo locations.

re: the slide show of the rules to eating ramen and

I violate this one:

The egg yolk should be firm but very creamy; eat the egg with the spoon, not the chopsticks.

and this one  

From start to finish, ramen geeks say, the process of eating should take only six to 10 minutes.

related to the above,

I do this:.

For instance, don’t wait around or daydream when your ramen is served. Eat it while it’s hot.

but I have stomach issues, so it's hard for me to eat anything quickly. And I don't exactly daydream. I just eat really slowly and I think about stuff while I'm eating (often I'm thinking, "This is a lot of ramen, and it's taking me a really long time to eat it.")

#12 cstuart

cstuart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:07 AM

It usually is too much to eat (or at least should be too much) but there's not much left in the bowl I want to eat after 10 minutes. 

#13 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

(often I'm thinking, "This is a lot of ramen, and it's taking me a really long time to eat it.")

:thumbsup:
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#14 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

I went today early in the morning when it opened (11:30). No wait. The food court itself is nice and fairly spacious with some other nice-seeming food options (The Cannibal, Court Street Grocers sandwiches, Blue Bottle coffee, some others...). I took the little one in a stroller and there was plenty of room next to the communal tables to park the stroller, so I will definitely be back (nb - if anyone has other suggestions for places in HK/Columbus Circle/Lincoln Square that I could fit a stroller at a table....mini-Tubbs is not ready for a highchair yet). Each vendor has bar seating and there are also many communal tables. 

The Ramen itself was very pleasant, in the true sense of the word. I had the classic Shoyu. The broth was very comforting in it's semi-Jewish-deli-ness. Very clean and deep flavor. The noodles are firm and chewy, more of a soba style than other ramen I've had (I am far from a Ramen expert - my standby is Terakawa, and that and Noodle bar are the extent of my ramen eating). The pork belly was very good. I didn't love the texture of the green bits. It was a bit expensive (I think $13 plus extra for an egg). I appreciated that the broth was not extremely salty. I usually can't eat ramen at night for that reason, but I think this one would be fine.

#15 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,609 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

I think I've posted about this in some other thread but I've been twice and one meal was bad and the other was decent at best.  ippudo is much better, which is frustrating because the food at the ivan ramen @ noodle bar event was really, really good.  maybe the clinton street one will be better.

eta: I think the noodles are the best part.