13 replies to this topic

#1 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:32 AM

I'm a fan of Dovetail, so after checking out the menu on Narcissa's website, I had to give it a try.  The prices are pretty reasonable, too (for now).

The concept is vegetable-centric "farm-to-table" (yawn).  Many of the vegetables are enhanced with meat.  Let's face it, vegetables need a little help.

It's a fairly large space - I think around 100 seats between two dining rooms, a bar, and a chef's counter.  The place is done up really nice with light wood tones, and an open kitchen where you can watch potatoes roasting on a rotisserie.  You almost wouldn't know that you were even in pɹɐpuɐʇS ǝɥ⊥ hotel.  I arrived a little after 10 and the place was still very crowded, although there were seats available at the chef's counter - which filled up rather quickly after they sat me there.

The service is good, but the pacing is a little off.  My cocktail (a "new" old-fashioned), bread, and appetizer all arrived at the same time.  I almost ordered the potato gnocchi as an appetizer, but I saw a Narcissa's salad at the pass and it looked good, so I ordered that.  Incidentally, Narcissa is supposedly the name of a cow at the owner's farm.

The Narcissa's salad was good.  I mean, it's a salad.  I would probably have ordered something else next time, but it was fine.  Really nice mixed greens, accented with grated gouda and chopped pistachios.

The main course - lamb loin - was quite excellent.  Two slices of flawlessly medium-rare roasted loin, crusted with - I think - bread crumbs that were colored green by something.  But the effect was visually stunning.  Also on the plate, a fatty and crisp piece of lamb belly, a couple tiny pieces of olive, cauliflower, and piquillo, and a miniature crepe filled with spinach.

The lamb course was actually rather light for a main course, but looking around I saw that the other mains appeared to be more substantial - but the lamb is still probably a good deal at $26.  I also ordered a side of twice-baked celery root.

The celery root was several slices shaved thin, baked in a terrine, topped with ham and breadcrumbs (there's the meat helping out the veg again), and finally it was unmolded and warmed up (I'm not convinced it was fully baked twice) before being served.  It was in that in-between state where you're not sure if it's supposed to be hot or room temperature or what.  I felt it should have been hotter.  Anyway, it was a decent (but not great) side dish, but it became monotonous about halfway through.

For dessert, parsnip and carrot cake with raisins and cream cheese frosting.  This was a carrot cake cut into cubes and plated with a squiggle of frosting, grated carrot, raisins, a couple parsnip chips.  It was fine.  With the check also came a pate de fruit and a chocolate truffle, both very good.  All this, plus coffee, $74 before tip.  Not too bad.

This meal was unusual in that the main course really stood out compared to everything else - generally the appetizers are the standout dishes.  Maybe I ordered wrong?  Anyway, worth going for the lamb - and the rest of the mains I saw looked really good.  I can't vouch for the rest of the menu.

Man about town.

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,989 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:56 AM

How did you get those letters upside down?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:30 AM

:D www.upsidedowntext.com

Man about town.

#4 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:58 PM

I have to entertain a consultant tomorrow night and I was planning to take him here but I can't get anything before 10 pm.  Where should I take him instead?

#5 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,469 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:07 AM

L'Apicio? DBGB? Golden Cadillac?

#6 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:12 PM

Contra?

#7 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:50 AM

Two stars from Wells.

#8 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:35 AM

His review makes me want to go again. I didn't like it as much as he did, but I only paid one visit.

Man about town.

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,989 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:40 AM

But if that's a two-star (I've never been), then you have to start thinking about Batard as a three-star.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#10 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:43 AM

But if that's a two-star (I've never been), then you have to start thinking about Batard as a three-star.

I would agree with that. It does signify a lowering of standards, though.

Man about town.

#11 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,125 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:22 PM

Carrot pie!

We will look back on this one day, and laugh.

#12 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:48 PM

Might try to duplicate the spinach at home sometime soon.

It reminds me of a recipe by Marcus Samuelsson, only with asparagus.

#13 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:32 PM

I would agree with that. It does signify a lowering of standards, though.

it's starting to look like two stars are the new one star

“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#14 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,575 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:27 PM

Went on Saturday night.  Nice place.  We sat outside and the service was a little inattentive.  As it becoming the norm, the apps were good, the mains less so. I liked the fresh pea tortollini in brodo.  It was pretty much what you'd expect, although more grassy broth than chicken-y.  The various salads looked fine.  We ordered the ribeye for two and the whole branzino.  The ribeye was a good piece of meat, but it was a tad overcooked.  (We ordered it medium.)  I thought the branzino was also overcooked, but not bad.  It was very heavy capers.  I like capers, but this was too much.

The carrot fries were good.  Roasted soft and tempura fried.

I thought the fresh bread -- a softball sized roll -- was terrific.  

Carrot/parsnip cake was mediocre.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: John Fraser