39 replies to this topic

#1 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

Six of us are taking a cruise which starts in Lisbon and will be spending three evenings in there in the middle of April. We're staying at the Hotel Avenida Palace near the Restauradores Square.

I'm needing recommendations for dinner on Thursday, lunch and dinner on Friday, and brunch and an early dinner/late lunch on Saturday. We have to be on the boat around 8 PM on Saturday.

We've been looking around and have come up with a list of possibilities. Thoughts? Any current recommendations?

Assinatura - for a nicer dinner.

Ramiro - Evidently this place is packed since Bourdain went there. We'll probably do a lunch there so we don't have to wait in line.

Taberna Moderna - for the gin and tonics of course!

The Decadente

We're also wanting to hear some fado music. Probably not for dinner but as an after dinner thing. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#2 squibble

squibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

Hope you have a wonderful time!  We went to Lisbon many times and usually stayed in Sintra at the Palacio de Seteais before they closed for renovations for a few years.  Sorry, I just had to mention Sintra although I realize your time is short.   My only recommendation for food in LIsbon is Pasteis de Belem for pasteis de nata.  April will probably be a nice time of year to go.  Our trips were mostly in Feb. - March - also quite nice - early spring weather.

#3 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

Yeah, we wanted to see Sintra but we're barely over 48 hours in Lisbon so it will have to wait for another time. I have pasteis de nata on my must-try list. Thanks for the recommendation of Pasteis de Belem. I'm hoping for decent weather in April. I'm sure it will be cooler than I hope but I hope for not too much rain.

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,246 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

You don't "see" Sintra. You experience it through the fog.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,673 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

I stayed in Sintra in late May/early June and it was warm and sunny.

Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#6 squibble

squibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

That makes me feel nostalgic.

Sorry Daisy, meant Sneak's post.

We were there in foggy weather and yet, it was always beautifully sunny during the day except for one trip when family met us and there was a lot of rain and gloom.

#7 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,269 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

Do look out for lampreys.  The gastronomic highlight of my visit, by a long way, was coming across a blackboard offering a lamprey special outside a random fish restaurant.

#8 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,246 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:12 PM

Yes, the spring is the best time to visit Portugal.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#9 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:21 AM

Lisbon is wonderful, inexpensive and the food (and wine) is great. Second the pasteis de nata - get a couple more than you think you want. Trust me. 

We loved Assinatura and also 1000 Maneiras - these were the two top meals of many excellent ones. For some other ideas and wine bars, see here: 

http://thesavvyexplorer.com/lisbon

It's a wonderful city, enjoy!

“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#10 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

Lisbon is wonderful, inexpensive and the food (and wine) is great. Second the pasteis de nata - get a couple more than you think you want. Trust me. 

We loved Assinatura and also 1000 Maneiras - these were the two top meals of many excellent ones. For some other ideas and wine bars, see here: 

http://thesavvyexplorer.com/lisbon

It's a wonderful city, enjoy!

I'm glad to hear you loved Assinatura. And thanks for the rec on 100 Maneiras, I hadn't come across that in my searches.

#11 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:41 PM

I wonder if there are any recommendations on the Leite's Culinaria site? I would trust David to have good information.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#12 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:32 PM

I love that site - I had now idea he was Portuguese-American! Thanks for pointing me there, I've just begun to poke around and have already found some good stuff.

#13 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

You're very welcome. You might want to get his cookbook, The New Portuguese Table.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#14 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:40 PM

Ramiro is very nice. The cooking is not as careful as in the best places in Spain, but the selection of seafood is staggering. 

Friends took us to Setubal, which has a world class little market (the sort of small-wholesale + retail operation that really works) as well as some places you won'f find on many lists - for example the location of Baluarte do Sado in the fishing / boating club, not the one in the center of town. The formula is simple - you sit down and for the next couple of hours a parade of grilled and fried fish goes through the room, accompanied by inexpensive wine, bread, and salad. Sardines (of course), robalo, dorado, octopus, baby red sea bream, a fish I only know as Saragus in mediterranean-ish (the name in Portuguese was similar), and about a dozen others with quality ranging between adequate and very good. no faults in preparation, but then also not much effort to clean the fish or anything that fancy. 50 Euros for four people including four carafes of wine. 

Ramiro:

IMAG0739.jpg

Market:

IMAG0757.jpg

IMAG0761.jpg

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#15 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:20 AM

I think Belcanto sort of showed us exactly why we're uninterested in SP restaurants. It's more delicious than the average for the genre, but are you seriously serving stuff over saran wrap covered pots to someone who worked at Corton? or El Bulli 2005 olives to anyone? or, wow, foie and hazelnut thingies and then a dessert that looks exactly the same? get over yourself and just serve good food. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns