2531 replies to this topic

#2506 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 11:11 AM

I know that no man is a hero to his valet, but Prospect Heights is just not "one of Brooklyn's top dining neighborhoods". It's just not.

My valet thinks I'm a hero - of course he's allowed to borrow my clothes when I need to quickly change in a phone booth.

But I do hate it when he over-starches my shirts - especially the collars. Makes it difficult to fly.

#2507 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:04 PM

what kind of food board calls references to hegel into question?

#2508 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:22 PM

...only the ones where Clark's identity is romanticized.

#2509 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 04:02 PM

As Eater editors ate their way through the country over the past year, their quest to find 2019’s best new restaurants led them to three lauded New York City newcomers: AddaAtomix, and Kopitiam.

https://ny.eater.com...x-kopitiam-adda

What am I not getting about Kopitiam?

#2510 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 04:15 PM

I think the kind of food Kopitiam serves is both unfamiliar to a lot of people and easy to like, which makes it more popular - and talked about - than good (although I also think it's pretty good).

#2511 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 04:52 PM

I guess part of my issue is that it's hard for me to think of a place that's essentially a high-falutin coffee shop, where one orders at the counter and then sits on plastic chairs (if lucky), as one of the best new restaurants in America.

That, and yeah maybe some unfamiliarity, along with I don't think the food is that good. Though there's plenty of umami.

#2512 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,564 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 04:55 PM

Small h is saying that the unfamiliarity makes it MORE popular (the old "you think the first Sichuan restaurant you eat in is great until you eat in one that's really good [and even that wouldn't be a big deal in China]" thing).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2513 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 05:01 PM

Bottom line to me is that if this is one of the best new restaurants in America, we in a lot of trouble.

#2514 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 05:10 PM

How do you like it, Sneak?

#2515 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 05:25 PM

I think the kind of food Kopitiam serves is both unfamiliar to a lot of people and easy to like, which makes it more popular - and talked about - than good (although I also think it's pretty good).

I think that sums it up. I think it's telling that of the two critics, Sutton has been the more vocal cheerleader, whereas Sietsema, who would be more familiar - he likes it, sure, but hasn't been quite so over-the-moon. While he's never done a side-by-side I got the impression he preferred the Pan Mee at Let's Makan.  

I do also think Kopitiam is pretty good. The oyster omelette is a fave. The Pan Mee I've been up and down on, I've had it perfect a couple times, and a couple other times I've had the noodles all stuck together in a clump. 

#2516 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,564 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 05:31 PM

How do you like it, Sneak?

They close too early.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#2517 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,564 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 05:33 PM

I do think that a place like that would have to be spectacularly good — like, beyond amazing— to be one of the best restaurants in America.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#2518 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,696 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:01 PM

What no Paulie Gee's slice shop? 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#2519 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:27 PM

Small h is saying that the unfamiliarity makes it MORE popular (the old "you think the first Sichuan restaurant you eat in is great until you eat in one that's really good [and even that wouldn't be a big deal in China]" thing).

Yes.

I do also think Kopitiam is pretty good. The oyster omelette is a fave. The Pan Mee I've been up and down on, I've had it perfect a couple times, and a couple other times I've had the noodles all stuck together in a clump. 

I love the oyster omelette. And then one day I thought I should branch out! get something else! So I had the fish ball soup, and it tasted like nothing. I'll get that Pan Mee if they can do it without pork, and I bet they can.

Bottom line to me is that if this is one of the best new restaurants in America, we in a lot of trouble.

I feel safe in saying it is not, but we are still in a lot of trouble, for other reasons.

#2520 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:41 PM

What no Paulie Gee's slice shop? 

Too common?