#1 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

2 winners, one day. Not bad.

And everyone in both places was super nice.

#2 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

did you drink anything interesting at Bones?
Immortal space traveler.

#3 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

Oh yeah...I sort of remember an '04 Vin Jaune.

#4 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,625 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

2 winners, one day. Not bad.

And everyone in both places was super nice.

More surprising given that Le BAT is an Israeli outfit.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#5 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:49 PM

We spoke to the young Israeli chef - really nice guy.  What was funny was how he compared Frenchie To-Go's pastrami to Katz's and said it was nowhere near as good. And then pointed out that it was similar to how everyone likes the falafels on Rue des Rosiers - but they can't hold a candle to most of what's available - in Israel!

#6 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,392 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:59 PM

It's not like joe had schnitzel there.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,392 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

Well, I guess Significant Eater had those tempura vegetables.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

Yep - she was nice enough to share.

#9 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,625 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:18 AM

We spoke to the young Israeli chef - really nice guy.  What was funny was how he compared Frenchie To-Go's pastrami to Katz's and said it was nowhere near as good. And then pointed out that it was similar to how everyone likes the falafels on Rue des Rosiers - but they can't hold a candle to most of what's available - in Israel!

That's a bit of hyperbole. Most of what's available in Israel is made from commercial mix (that has many things going on in it except for chickpeas and spices) and fried in burnt oil, but then you don't eat most of what's available, you go to the good places. The stuff on Rue de Rosiers is above average in Israel as a whole, but not major league. I hope Frenchie's doesn't relate to Katz in the same way, but I suspect it might.  :D

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#10 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,401 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:30 AM

That's a bit of hyperbole. Most of what's available in Israel is made from commercial mix (that has many things going on in it except for chickpeas and spices) and fried in burnt oil, but then you don't eat most of what's available, you go to the good places. The stuff on Rue de Rosiers is above average in Israel as a whole, but not major league. I hope Frenchie's doesn't relate to Katz in the same way, but I suspect it might.  :D

A good point about comparisons.   What's special is when you inadvertantly fall over one that beats everything in your experience.   

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#11 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,909 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

We spoke to the young Israeli chef - really nice guy.

Yeah, we went for their small plates dinner & sat at the bar for a couple of hours, mostly talking to the chef (Yariv) about NYC. He mentioned some very loud customers that had come in a couple of weeks beforehand & destroyed the place...gave him your names & told him he can hold John T. accountable for your being there.

This space available… contact owner.

#12 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,909 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

We spoke to the young Israeli chef - really nice guy.

Yeah, we went for their small plates dinner & sat at the bar for a couple of hours, mostly talking to the chef (Yariv) about NYC. He mentioned some very loud customers that had come in a couple of weeks beforehand & destroyed the place...gave him your names & told him he can hold John T. accountable for your being there.

Apparently, Yariv has moved on and a new Exec. Chef is now in Le Bat's kitchen.

#13 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,909 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:36 PM

Well, Le Bat is now long gone but Yariv seems to have opened an Israeli type sandwich place called Salatim a couple of years ago that is garnering good reviews. We havent made it there yet (and may not) but, if we do, we’ll report back.