343 replies to this topic

#1 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:46 AM

First night of soft open at Racines NYC tonight (French people not really groking Pesach) made me very optimistic.  The space is extremely pleasant, and the food was very impressive. Service was rocky, but one of the partners confessed to me that one waiter and one runner were no-shows.

We'll see where it goes, but there is a lot of potential.  And the place is four blocks from my apartment.

#2 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:48 AM

PS--the wine list wasn't together yet, so one of the owners took a couple of us down to the cellar and let us grab stuff. One owner is contributing his collection, and there is some brilliant wine headed to the list.

#3 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,319 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:11 PM

Navel cooked as a Risotto

Hmm.

Here's the website.

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,523 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:23 PM

Wow. This is on Chambers Street!
Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,927 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:24 PM

The wine list placeholder is a huge tease.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#6 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,927 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:25 PM

The wine list placeholder is a huge tease.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#7 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:01 PM

I think it's where the various Chinese buffets used to be.

BTW: I see that Jerry's is supposedly moving down the street (unless that was an ancient post).

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#8 Patrick

Patrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:37 AM

Navel cooked as a Risotto

Hmm.

Here's the website.

What could navel be? Misspelling of navet?

#9 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,319 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

That was my guess Patrick, and turnip risotto does exist.

#10 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:38 PM

I think it's where the various Chinese buffets used to be.

Yes.

#11 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

Nice pic of Fred.

#12 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,319 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:52 PM

Partnership with owner of Chambers Wines.  That's promising.

#13 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,523 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:53 PM

Yeah.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#14 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:50 PM

Well, I still have to return to the old nabe to get my hair cut and my teeth seen to. So . . .

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#15 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:48 PM

Allow me to deflate some of enthusiasm surrounding this place. :D  Also, it was only their second night in business, so take this with a grain of salt.

Went to Racines with a date last night.  Arrived a little after 8.  The place was pretty crowded - most tables were full, but they managed to squeeze us in.  (I didn't make a reservation.)  Nice room.  Lots of exposed brick, wood, and earth tones.  Open kitchen.  No tablecloths.  Looks like pretty much any NYC restaurant opening these days.

The service was comically bad.  We ordered two courses, but we were there for more than two hours.  The wine that I wanted to order (a white 2008 burgundy that seemed like a good deal), they were out of.  So the waiter said they had the same thing from 2010 - then he came back 10 minutes later and said they didn't have that, but they had a 2012.  Anyway, I ordered something else (a 2008 from the Jura region for $69, which was very good), but it arrived a few minutes after the appetizers.

The first thing that his the table though was an amuse of cold celery and leek soup, garnished with chopped nuts (almonds, I think).  It was ok.  Pretty bland.

No bread ever hit the table, by the way.

For appetizers I ordered the squid a la plancha, she ordered the artichoke ravioli.  I didn't try any of her food, but she commented that she thought the ravioli were a little undercooked, but they were alright.  The squid a la plancha looked nice on the plate, but was otherwise really ordinary and a bit rubbery.  The best part of the plate was really the garnish of lomo.

She ordered the monkfish as a main, I ordered the mangalitsa pork.  She commented that the monkfish was better than the appetizer, but still not particularly great ("it's missing something"), and maybe was underseasoned ("maybe I ordered wrong", she said).   The mangalitsa pork ($31) was a single pork chop, presented sliced off the bone, with a cider vinegar gastrique.  Off to the side it also had a little pigs feet croquette and a garnish of ramps.  This was certainly a more successful dish than the squid a la plancha, but still didn't rise to greatness.  The pork was ok, the gastrique was actually really excellent.  The croquette was nice, but the ramps were just sort of there (like he didn't know what to do with them, so he just boiled them and threw them on the plate).

We passed on dessert.  No comps.  The bill came in at like $170 before tip.

Man about town.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wine bar, french food, natural wine