346 replies to this topic

#31 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:11 AM

I won't pretend to be objective, but a meal there tonight was quite delicious.

Objectively, the wine list is already one of the best in the city. The stuff they're serving BTG is stuff that has disappeared from the retail market because it is known to be delicious and there was so little of it around--Cuvee 910 (subject of hilarious interwebz videos), or the best Muscadet of recent times, Marc Ollivier's 2012 Clos des Briords, or Pierrot Bonhomme and Thierry Puzelat's monocepage pinot meunier Rouge est Mis. These are all crazy allocated and gone, gone from retail, but you can stroll in and have a glass.  I wonder how long they will be able to keep this up?

The list itself is full of great old wines at crazy low prices.  It reminds me of the early days of Veritas or Cru, except that many of these gems are from the Loire or the Jura or Provence. I wonder how long things can last.

Owner/sommelier Arnaud Tronche and Chef Duca are both Southerners, and there is a non-Parisian warmth to the place.

#32 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,745 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:31 AM

I was there last night, and very nice it is. Aside from food and wine I was really struck by how much a new French restaurant in TriBeCa can now look like a place in Brooklyn.

This just reminded me of Prospect so much it was almost disorienting.

#33 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,745 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:33 AM

Oh, they were out of the Oregon morels:(

#34 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:37 AM

I would mention that they are less dense in their seating than they might easily be.  I wish the barstools were a bit more level.

And they might easily be fairly priced, but sadly, all that real estate and fancy chow does not come cheap.

#35 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:38 AM

Oh, they were out of the Oregon morels:(

Dommage!

You'll just have to find some dying elms and pick your own.

#36 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:33 AM

how much a new French restaurant in TriBeCa can now look like a place in Brooklyn.

I think they are just Très Brooklyn, non?

#37 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,745 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:56 AM

I asked the lovely foh manager to go forage me some more, but she was reluctant to make a side trip to Oregon during service.

#38 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,745 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:57 AM

Stools!

I had a table :)

#39 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,383 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:53 AM

This is funny. I had a fairly huge stash of Rouge Est Mis a few years ago. I liked the wine a lot, but struggled to find foods it would go with. What, if anything, did you have it with?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#40 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:37 PM

My companion just had a glass to finish off her sweetbreads.  I had the '910' to finalize my duck.  We'd squandered our L'Anglore barricade 2011 too quickly.

More generally, I think it's pretty versatile light red wine, no? Poultry, risotto, pasta carbonara, my small allocation is usually gone all too quickly.

#41 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

Will be going next week. Alone, so I expect I'll do BTG. How's the staff on making recommendations, for those of us who are not wine mavens?

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#42 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

Ask for Arnaud.  BTG right now is not cheap, but is ludicrously good.  They have stuff on there that you just can't get, and they are giving it all away to the punters.  I wonder if they will keep it up.

#43 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,745 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

I'll be interested in more opinions. The menu is very short, and the Oregon morels were gone when I arrived.  I thought the cooking was very polished, but not amazingly adventurous or creative--not what I expected from the heavily promoted "neo-bistro" tag.

#44 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

The stuff they're serving BTG is stuff that has disappeared from the retail market because it is known to be delicious and there was so little of it around--Cuvee 910 (subject of hilarious interwebz videos)

I may be cruisin for a bruisin but late last night I was perusing the boozing and buying going down chez Mouthfuls and I was completely confused comme d'habitude.

"So little of it around", he says ? "Disappeared from the retail market", he emphasizes ?

Très étrange. It's almost as if we are living in different worlds, methinks to me-self. Tray trays étrange.

"Mmmmmm", Chambo uncontrollably utters aloud, after taking yet another non-frugal sip of fruitily-fragrant, pale-strawberrily-colored, silkily-textured, quite-light-bodied yet yummily-acidly-zippily-lively-very-berry-cherry-ish wine from his chalice.

Très étrange, he mutters once again.

What fills this (k)night's glass, you ask ? Alas, nothing other than 2012 Clos des Vignes du Maynes Macon-Cruzille cuvée 910.

IMG_8458-2102ClosdesVignesduMaynescuvee9

So much for "so little of it around", I guess. So much "disappeared from the retail market", considering that it was purchased, ahem, over the weekend.

And why, this night, is our favorite caped crusader's cup filled with this red-AND-white mélange de cépages, you rightfully wonder (for Chambo always has a reason and he's usually up to no good) ?

For one and one reason only (does that make 2 reasons?) ... homework, preparation, preparedness, practice-makes-perfect ... know-thy-enemy and prepare for war ... in order to make the peace ... or so they say.

For king of the round table, Chambo-sans-Peur, is yet again heading into battle. Yes, our fearless friend Chambo-le-Grand will soon be heading south from the sultry City of Lights for yet another croisade into the Holy Lands.

All of Burgundy shivers in fear ... for Chambo will soon be near.

And after he conquers the complexity of the Cote d'Or, as is his custom, more war may await, for Chambo will be on his way to le maconnais et le beaujolais.

Diplomatic meetings have been arranged with the chieftains of the territories. Either Chambo gets his desired allocation (which he always does, of course :-) or he wages war.

Julien Guillot et Philippe Jambon, you have been warned.

(And yeah, truth be told, I am kinda stuck in a 2005 vintage rut as this Les Baltailles gives evidence to ...)

IMG_8301-LesBaltailles2005boughtatSaturn

I sure hope my European campaigns are not impacting you outre-mer types from pleasurable drinking stateside.

Note that there are two sides to every coin.

For example, it is frustratingly difficult to find the North Fork's finest over here. 

#45 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:33 PM

For example, it is frustratingly difficult to find the North Fork's finest over here.

Did you try Frankly Wines on West Broadway? Christy often has something from there; whether what she has qualifies as its finest is not for me to say.

BTW: Welcome back!

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wine bar, french food, natural wine