94 replies to this topic

#1 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

I recently had an excellent dinner here and wish it wasn't so far away. Cosy inside, pleasant decor, well-spaced tables. Prices are fairly high but the ingredients are excellent and the portions correct. And the wine list is priced fairly -- there's a connection with Neal Rosenthal and the wines seemed to all be from his portfolio.

The only disappointment was that the Juliénas we ordered was really too warm to show well and they didn't cool it very efficiently when asked. But I guess serving temperature can often be a problem when you order one of the cheapest bottles on a wine list (although it shouldn't be).

We had: sweetbreads with wintery vegetables (herb crust, excellent, one of the best sweetbread preparations I've had in a long time); chicken liver terrine (clearly plainer, still very good); potato gnocchi with carrot sauce and mushrooms (a "French"-seeming gnocchi preparation, and delicious); rabbit, also with wintery vegetables (a carefully composed preparation including the liver, equally appealing renditions of the dark and white meat). The sweetbreads, gnocchi and rabbit were all painstakingly and generously sauced. The bread rolls made in house were impressive, worthy of mention in that recent Times Dining section special on bread.

This is just the kind of refined, soulful French cooking I like and that I feel isn't so easy to find. They should upload their beautifully handwritten menu online, so that people can get a sense of what's on offer. If anyone is around 82nd Street, the menu is displayed in the old-fashioned manner outside.

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,287 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:48 PM

This is exciting. I've been waiting for someone I trusted to evaluate this place.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:01 PM

But it's

around 82nd Street

halfway to the North Pole!

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,287 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:04 PM

But sometimes you're there.

Or people ask you where to eat around there.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

I suppose, arguendo, it could happen.

#6 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

Eskimos, say.

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,287 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

There are a few fairly decent museums in that area.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

OK, cultured people in parkas.

#9 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

Returned here last night. As excellent as before. Everything on the menu was appealing, a rare thing. I particularly liked their shad and shad roe special. The dining room was packed. It's pleasant to walk here after visiting the Met on a night when it's open late.

#10 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,178 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:42 PM

In 2014, it's good to have some online visibility.  Couldn't find a website with the usual searches: Simone on First Avenue (oops, same name) comes up all the time.  Menupages? No. Open Table? No. Yelp? Yes, but who cares?

I eventually found a home page--thesimonerestaurant.com--and that's all it is. A page with an address and phone number, no menu.

Dispiriting.

#11 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:51 AM

yelp is useful for finding restaurant websites, if nothing else.

#12 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:43 PM

Does The Simone have a bar you can eat at?

Man about town.

#13 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,279 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

This makes me think probably not...

There is no bar “program” at this restaurant, no list of nine-ingredient cocktails with dingbat names like Simone Says. But if your drink request is normal enough, it will materialize on the staircase in the hands of a waiter who presumably got it from some unseen, unheard Jeeves on the second floor.

#14 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:19 PM

Another great dinner here last night.

We shared the savory tart to start, having avoided it previously because of its sunny-side-up egg, thinking it would be too rich. In fact, the tart is almost delicate, with beautiful pastry. The egg sits on very flavorsome browned onions and there are a few pieces of prosciutto on top. Simple but effective.

Both the flounder and the black bass were excellent, each fish cooked just right. The flounder is described by Wells in his review and now comes with asparagus and fiddlehead ferns, in addition to the crushed favas he mentions. The fillet was much thicker than any flounder fillet I've ever seen although it wasn't entirely evident that it was rolled as Wells describes the winter preparation to be. The dish tasted like spring. The bass came with a "barigoule" of vegetables, including artichokes, in an herbal, slightly sweet sauce that went well with the sweetness of the fish.

We had the Lord Baltimore cake for dessert -- its layered filling really is something. We drunk an unusual and delicious 2008 Montenidoli il Templare, recommended by Tina Vaughn.

After eating this dinner, I immediately thought that the restaurant has to be worthy of three stars -- a proper, old-school Times three stars. I'm so happy for them.

I'm fairly certain there's no bar. A gentleman was eating dinner solo at a table last night. Most of the other tables looked like local double-dates although I imagine that will change after the review.

#15 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:16 PM

frozennorth.jpg

man, i need a headache