159 replies to this topic

#1 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,546 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:03 AM

i've been on a roast chicken kick, lately and would love to hear about how folks are seasoning their roast chickens and any unusual roasting methods. i tend to do an overnight buttermilk or vermouth brine and roast on high heat on a cast iron comal. here's a nice roast chicken recipe from david kinch and pim.

show me your roast chicken methodology!

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#2 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,427 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:01 PM

Zuni method for me about 99.9% of the time. Always produces a flavorful bird with the crispest skin. Sometimes I'll deviate slightly by putting a little smoked paprika in the salt rub.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#3 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,455 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

Zuni +1

I'm anti wet brine for good birds.

Why not mayo?

#4 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

1:1 salt-black pepper mix, rubbed on the inside and outside. i truss sometimes, depending on whether i want to engage in "chicken bondage" (see pic below). then roast in a 375 F oven for one hour. always comes out with crisp skin and moist, flavorful meat.

3512247424_2085d14649_o.jpg

don't depend on my scouting skills any time soon...

#5 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

I always do the simple roast chicken in the keller books, which is 450 for 45 or 50 minutes.

#6 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,657 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:15 PM

I go back and forth between Zuni and Hazan methods. The Zuni method requires a little planning ( I like to salt the bird for 2 days) and yields very crisp skin. The Hazan method requires only a trip to the store for a chicken and a lemon or two and results in a very juicy bird.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#7 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,038 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:22 PM

Zuni salting method always, although frequently with other spices as well as salt.

Sometimes spatchcocking the bird first, then in the oven at 450 for about 40 minutes (timing depends on size).

Sometimes leaving the bird whole and cooking it in the Cuisinart Vertical Rotisserie,* extrapolating from the timings in the recipe booklet.

*I just discovered this item has been discontinued! A shame, since I find it one of the best appliances I ever bought.

I apologize to those who already know this. -- Lex, 9 July 2017 - 12:53 PM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#8 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,052 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

Pim's recipe calls for a butter massage, followed by lemon, onion, tarragon and smashed garlic in the cavity. 75 minutes at 425

cook the chicken on one side in a cast iron pan, flip to the other side, then upright.

(75 minutes sounds like a lot to me)

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#9 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,546 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

75 minutes seems a lot especially with the oven temp and preheating the cast iron pan.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#10 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:51 PM

I hesitate to suggest it because it includes bread, but I don't see why GF bread wouldn't work. It's from Melissa Clark, and aside from the delicious pan dripping-soaked croutons, I like it because I'm lazy and there's no flipping the bird.  Recipe  Article

BlondieNY.com

"Finally something intelligent."

#11 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,546 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

I hesitate to suggest it because it includes bread, but I don't see why GF bread wouldn't work. It's from Melissa Clark, and aside from the delicious pan dripping-soaked croutons, I like it because I'm lazy and there's no flipping the bird.  Recipe  Article

could work w/ gf bread if one chooses carefully. sounds delicious!

~Jack Handey

#12 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,480 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:09 PM

I always do the simple roast chicken in the keller books, which is 450 for 45 or 50 minutes.

Yeah, that's what I do. Highest quality to effort ratio of any I've tried so far. Blondie's link looks intriguing though. 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#13 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:26 PM

zuni usually for me. sometimes i give the whole bird a light ghee massage before putting it in.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: piccolo (minneapolis)

current whisky review: rampur select casks (indian single malt whisky)

current recipe: keema chops (indian-style croquettes)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#14 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,052 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:31 PM

zuni usually for me. sometimes i give the whole bird a light ghee massage before putting it in.

do you rub the outer surface of the skin, or slide the ghee under the skin of the chicken?  I've found that when I use a butter + herbs etc under the skin technique, most of the butter becomes liquid and ends on me

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#15 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:10 AM

on the skin. it bronzes the bird up nicely.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: piccolo (minneapolis)

current whisky review: rampur select casks (indian single malt whisky)

current recipe: keema chops (indian-style croquettes)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson