159 replies to this topic

#151 Melonius Thunk

Melonius Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:08 PM

That sounds like a great recipe, Melonious.

Thanks RP

"It has a soupy texture and looks rather messy. It stinks a little and is arguably the most delicious dish on earth."__Ptipois

#152 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,606 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:43 AM

Welcome back MT.  Glad to see you.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#153 Melonius Thunk

Melonius Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:58 AM

Thanks Lex.  Appreciate that.

"It has a soupy texture and looks rather messy. It stinks a little and is arguably the most delicious dish on earth."__Ptipois

#154 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,606 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:13 AM

Nobody else here appreciates a Jean Shepherd story
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#155 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:31 AM

Thanks to you, tonight we've read a couple.  

"A meal without wine is called breakfast."   Camille Fourmont

#156 Melonius Thunk

Melonius Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:49 AM

I've got 800 of them in my iTunes library.  Did you know there is a Jean Shepherd fan group on Facebook?

#157 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:41 PM

Hey, not true! 

#158 Josh Karpf

Josh Karpf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:16 PM

I love roasting but a long-delayed return to the Jersey shore has returned me to my smoker.

pSUTlBK.jpg

It cooks the germs under its skin or else it gets the thermometer again.

#159 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:13 PM

Last week I took a ride out to Brooklyn, to La Pera Poultry, because I wanted to try a fresh-killed Sasso chicken, touted in various articles and now being sold in various restaurants. It was soaked for an hour in salt-water after I got home with it, per instructions from Carlo, who is right out of central casting. I kept it in the fridge for a full day or more, salted and peppered it, and filled the cavity with a bit of onion, celery, carrot, garlic (an old Julia trick, I think), rubbed it with duck fat, and trussed it badly. Convection roasted at 350F, breast down for 1/2 hour, then breast up for 1/2 hour (it was about a 4 pounder)...

25699232631_289779c7dd.jpg

This was perhaps the best chicken I've ever made at home, and certainly the best bird I've tasted outside of maybe a restaurant in France. 

At one time, Heritage was selling US raised Bresse chickens, and I cooked one of those, only to be disappointed, as I think it needed a braise to 

bring out its best qualities.

For roasting though, this bird wins, hands down, on flavor, texture, juiciness, everything. There is no way it can be compared with a B&E, Perdue, Foster Farms, or any other supermarket bird.

I was at La Pera again on Friday, and picked up 2 birds. One Sasso, one old soup bird. I'm gonna roast the Sasso (which I cut up, actually, as I've been enjoying the results cooking it that way; I can remove the breast as soon as it's done). The old hen got cut up. First I laid down the veg...

32887293110_02447843ff_z.jpg

Added the cut-up bird, and a few extra feet I had laying around...

33270133745_152ffb7516_z.jpg

An hour later (oh yeah, this was done in the pressure cooker)...

32887292990_d9bfe3a3ca_z.jpg

Nice yield of great tasting, gelatinous stock. 

#160 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:57 PM

I'm still thinking that Quatro Farm's chicken wins my long term top N.Y. chicken adulation. Dry brined a large fresh boid, and spatch cocked it for the grill...just herbs under the skin, and bread salad underneath   :wub:

G*d is in the details...