4 replies to this topic

#1 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:23 PM

Rover's? Gone. Le Gourmand? Gone. Book Bindery? Gone.

As Paul and I tried to figure out where to go for our anniversary dinner, we realized there aren't a lot of special occasion places left. Of course it must have perfectly prepared food. But I also want a wine list which includes some nice old bottles or things I'm not likely to find in my own cellar. I'm looking for a beautiful dining room, above average service. Someplace where you get dressed up.

What do we have left?

Canlis of course.

Il Terrazzo Carmine, sure.

Aragona maybe. Although I've heard the tables for two are in an awkward part of the restaurant.

Altura? That dining room isn't what I call beautiful and those tables are too close together for an intimate meal.

Mistral Kitchen is too much of a scene. Maybe in the Jewel Box area? I've not eaten in there.

Crush is more casual than I'm thinking.

Nell's - well you know how I feel about that 1970's dining room.

Restaurant Marron is getting good reviews.

Where else?

We ended up choosing RN74, mainly because of the wine list.

Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

Happy anniversary!

Sometimes, the person you're with (and a good wine list) make up for many other failings.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#3 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:56 AM

Has anyone tried Restaurant Marron? 

A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#4 croseattle

croseattle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

Alex and I went to Restaurant Marron for our anniversary and had the 10 course menu.

There was one stumble, but overall the meal was fantastic and the wines were amazing.

The wife of the team is the som and the husband runs the kitchen. You can tell that they both have a lot of creative input into the food and wine so the pairings are perfect. My non wine drinking husband enjoyed every glass.

As far as decor, it's not it think what Lauren was describing, but I dressed up anyway.

They were very nice and hand write up a menu for us for our anniversary. I should go dig it up so I can relate what we ate.

#5 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:39 AM

Thanks for the feedback.  this is where Bill wanted to go for his birthday, but it fell on a Tuesday...

A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus