5 replies to this topic

#1 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,673 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:51 PM

I can't believe we don't have a thread for this place. I probably just can't find it.

The refit was well done, it still looks very retro. I had been in for drinks a few weeks ago with a friend and we both very much liked the cocktails.

One night last week I returned, after a stressful and hectic day that included missing lunch, for an early dinner at the bar. I started with a terrific and very refreshing drink called a Chelsea Diner Car--a gin-based riff on a sidecar with lemon, chartreuse and combier. Really nice. I decided after my horrific day I needed comfort food so I ordered a burger, medium rare and hold the cheese. It came with 'special sauce' which was some sort of mayo and was cooked as ordered and quite tasty, juicy and beefy. Fries were excellent. With my burger I drank a generous pour of rose, and when I was almost finished with it the bartender came along and topped it up to another full glass.

The bill before tax and tip was around $40. The burger---Lex, avert your eyes--is $18.

This is the third iteration of this place during my 10 years of residence in the neighborhood and my one admittedly rather unchallenging meal points towards a vast improvement in the food this time round. Not that it's a high bar, the other two versions were disgusting. 

Observation from two visits suggest they are doing business that is split almost 50/50 between local residents and gallery workers and Highline-bound tourists. 

Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#2 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,814 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

back in the late 70's/early 80's it was truly a local place and the burgers were not bad and it was open late. it was also a good place to cross paths with the famous who were also locals. i didn't realize the newest owners had gotten the name back. wasn't it recently called the highliner? they never did find the empire state building replica, did they?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:07 PM

Someone ought to mention that the chef is Amanda Freitag.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:11 PM

The bill before tax and tip was around $40. The burger---Lex, avert your eyes--is $18.

Did someone mention burger prices?  10678803425_c68d156a79_o.gif

A week ago Wednesday I had a bacon cheeseburger in Skinflints bar, a Bay Ridge stalwart. Eight ounces - $7.50. To be sure that's the mother of all bargains and impressed even me. The going rate for a regular burger in Brooklyn is around $12 with some places hitting $15. It varies.

It varies in Manhattan too. I don't consider $18 outrageous although you can get very good burgers for $12 at Walkers in Tribeca or the Kips Bay Waterfront Ale House, also $12.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#5 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,673 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:54 PM

The fish portion of the fish and chips is very, very good---a big hunk of hake robed in a crisp, golden brown carapace as smooth and shiny as lacquer. Absolutely greaseless. Good tartar sauce. The chips were just OK--a bit undercooked I thought and several encounters with them leads me to the conclusion that the best word to describe them is 'uneven'.

The service is well meaning but completely in the weeds.

Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#6 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,688 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 05:56 PM

new chef/new incarnation since the reports above but our thoughts on our dinner there were quite similar to daisy's: good food, done well but at a high price. behold my review!

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson